Universal drops Steve Jobs movie from thousands of theaters after poor box office results

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    This was the 4th Jobs bio in 2 years. The market and fans were over-saturated. It was a roll of the dice if this film could make money on a first run. More than likely it will get Oscar nods and rake in a tidy sum in the secondary markets.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    sog35 wrote: »
    Personally can't wait till the day movie theaters are just a niche thing and that movies come out on Bluray/STream the same day as the theaters.

I don't know if you have kids, but no home theatre system will replace the real thing when it comes down to watching a movie with your small ones.
    Plus, you don't need to worry about the popcorn and various other things on he floor ;)
  • Reply 23 of 61

No reason to make stuff up, it's not like his life was boring! Had this film been closer to reality I would have paid to go see it. 

• Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Which will probably happen, but will then kill the movie business as we know it for once and for all.   Movies get their reputation and perceived importance from the theatrical run.   Sign on to one of the streaming services and look at all the crap movies on there (the vast majority) that mostly look like clones of either better or more popular movies.  Most look like the low-budget movies that used to be sold to small foreign markets, drive-ins and grind houses.   That's what the whole business will become once the revenue is lost from theatrical distribution.  Budgets will collapse.  Now that's not necessarily totally a bad thing as smaller, more intimate films will get made as opposed to all the comic book movies of today, but it will still be a major change for the business that could destroy it, as the major studios are only in it for the blockbuster returns. 

Also, as much as I personally love Blu-ray, it's been a market failure.   Year-to-date in the U.S., it still only has a 21% physical market unit share and only a 32% revenue share AND it's down 10.22% for the year in revenue and 9.1% in units after finishing 2014 being down 7.97% in revenue and 5.22% in units as compared with 2013.  And as a result, we've seen fewer releases, restorations, new special features, special packaging and still many films never released on BD.

Also, most consumers do not have decent playback in their homes.   Only a tiny minority of consumers even have 5.1 capability in their homes, never mind 7.1 or the new immersive sound systems like Dolby Atmos.   And even those who collect Blu-rays watch them on uncalibrated TVs. The theatrical experience, in spite of rude audiences and sometimes sticky floors, is still the far superior experience in most cases, even if Generation Z is perfectly happy watching a movie on a 4" screen .   It would be a shame to see the theatrical experience disappear.   

Having said all that, many movie executives agree with you.   They want day-and-date because they see that as a way to reduce marketing costs and improve cash flow.   But they're all in it for the short run, since they're all only concerned with the next quarter, getting their bonus/stock options and keeping their job.    And it's not like the windows are a year or more, like they used to be.   Movies now show up on streaming services and Blu-ray as little as 90 days after theatrical premiere.   

I disagree about Blu-Ray being a market failure. Not sure where you are getting your statistics, but at the end of 2014, Blu-Ray had close to a 32% market share. Blu-Ray still outsells DVD's for big blockbuster releases. Blu-Ray players outsell DVD players. A few years ago, Blu-Ray had close to a 50% market share. The reason for decline is digital media sales. Physical media in general has been in decline for some time now. I wouldn't call Blu-Ray a failure because more people are buying digital. 

• Reply 25 of 61

“There’s not a fact about Steve Jobs that has been distorted, perverted or invented except this: Steve Jobs didn’t’ have confrontations with five people 40 minutes before every product launch. That’s a writer’s conceit.” - Aaron Sorkin

What's this movie about?  "I got the idea to do this movie in three real time scenes, moments before a production launch and dramatize it,”

I'll take the iPhone 6s tagline route with "Steve Jobs. The only thing that's been invented is everything."

http://deadline.com/2015/11/steve-jobs-aaron-sorkin-steve-jobs-facts-lies-1201613284/

• Reply 26 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jasenj1 wrote: »
    I did not expect it to do well anyway. History Channel special, CNBC special, maybe even a network TV movie, but the general public is not going to pay big screen prices to see a biopic about some rich nerd. I suspect it will get a fair number of views on Netflix.

I hope those involved with making it had a good time and got a decent paycheck.

Seems better suited for the Sci-Fi channel to me. I say that as an admirer of the real SJ!

I just hope Apple analysts don't use this as yet another excuse to bad mouth AAPL!
  • Reply 27 of 61
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Come back and make a "real" movie about SJ, in about 50 years.

Or just watch the fantastic 4 hr PBS documentary on Walt Disney, and mentally transpose Steve Jobs for Walt Disney while you're watching it. (the parallels between the two men are amazing).

• Reply 28 of 61
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I disagree about Blu-Ray being a market failure. Not sure where you are getting your statistics, but at the end of 2014, Blu-Ray had close to a 32% market share. Blu-Ray still outsells DVD's for big blockbuster releases. Blu-Ray players outsell DVD players. A few years ago, Blu-Ray had close to a 50% market share. The reason for decline is digital media sales. Physical media in general has been in decline for some time now. I wouldn't call Blu-Ray a failure because more people are buying digital. 

The numbers come from Home Media Magazine and are accurately reported in my post.

At the end of 2014, in the U.S., Blu-ray had a 31.3% physical market revenue share and a 21% physical market unit share and as I posted was down almost 8% in revenue and 5% in units.   Having DVD still sell 79% of the physical market units after almost ten years of Blu is a freaking disaster.  

Blu-ray only outsells DVD for about five titles a week.   That's actually pretty awful.   In the week ending 11/1, only six titles sold more on Blu:  Monty Python and the Holy Grail (79.46%), Jurassic Park (64.14%), Avengers Ultron (57.08%), Back to the Future Trilogy (54.6%), Jurassic Park collection (54.02%) and Mad Max: Fury Road (52.89%).    The title with the 20th best Blu-ray share sold 68% of its units on DVD.   Now imagine everything below that. 

It doesn't matter what the reason for the decline in sales is.   All that matters is whether it's growing or not.  Studios are not interested in declining markets or media formats.   Saying, "well it's only declining because of streaming media sales" is like saying "well, the Samsung is only declining because of iPhone sales".    

Stop being a fanboy for a few minutes and look at it like a business analyst.   Ask any studio whether they're happy with Blu-ray sales.   Sony even considered dropping Blu entirely.   

• Reply 29 of 61

Pirates of Silicon Valley is still the best. The two posthumous dramas don't cover much that happened beyond the time period Pirates cover.

• Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Comparing Blu-Ray to DVDs? Really??? I didn't know DVDs were still around! Face it: the market is going to all streaming video, and once we hit the tipping point the collapse of physical media will be rapid.

• Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

This is great. Perhaps this will be the last movie about Steve Jobs for a while.

Or if there will be one, it will have to be called "YASJM"

• Reply 32 of 61
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Oh well, they weren't doing it for money anyways.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    There's plenty of life in these kind of movies if they get Oscar nods.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    That's not the correct use of the word 'titular.'
  • Reply 35 of 61
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    elmoofo wrote: »
    Can we just leave the man, his family, and his fans alone now?

This is good news, it will deter others trying to cash in.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not to mention theatres make half that money so that's about 8 million towards say 35 to 40 million or so. Still needs to make another 60 million to break even. Movie costs have gotten out of hand.

Actually, movie theaters do not make 1/2 of it.  At least at the beginning.  This came up a week or two ago.  You can Google it to find out how the movie industry works.

• Reply 37 of 61
    Agreed. It's just not a general interest film.

but the facebook story was? my point being, it's all about the story and the way its told. perhaps this made up story and the way it was told wasnt very interesting. (i dont know tho since i havent seen it)
  • Reply 38 of 61
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    jason98 wrote: »

Or if there will be one, it will have to be called "YASJM"

Or YASSJM.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

The numbers come from Home Media Magazine and are accurately reported in my post.

At the end of 2014, in the U.S., Blu-ray had a 31.3% physical market revenue share and a 21% physical market unit share and as I posted was down almost 8% in revenue and 5% in units.   Having DVD still sell 79% of the physical market units after almost ten years of Blu is a freaking disaster.  

Blu-ray only outsells DVD for about five titles a week.   That's actually pretty awful.   In the week ending 11/1, only six titles sold more on Blu:  Monty Python and the Holy Grail (79.46%), Jurassic Park (64.14%), Avengers Ultron (57.08%), Back to the Future Trilogy (54.6%), Jurassic Park collection (54.02%) and Mad Max: Fury Road (52.89%).    The title with the 20th best Blu-ray share sold 68% of its units on DVD.   Now imagine everything below that. 

It doesn't matter what the reason for the decline in sales is.   All that matters is whether it's growing or not.  Studios are not interested in declining markets or media formats.   Saying, "well it's only declining because of streaming media sales" is like saying "well, the Samsung is only declining because of iPhone sales".    

Stop being a fanboy for a few minutes and look at it like a business analyst.   Ask any studio whether they're happy with Blu-ray sales.   Sony even considered dropping Blu entirely.   

Fanboy? Is there even such thing as a Blu-Ray fanboy? Maybe you should look at it as a business analyst. To say it doesn't matter what the reason for the decline in sales is foolish. Of course that matters to the studios. But the bottom line is, big movies sell more on Blu-Ray vs DVD. Who cares about everything below that. The top 100 sales charts of 2015 so far for Blu-Ray and DVD are pretty similar. These obscure movies that sell more on DVD aren't even on sales charts. 

Blu-Ray is still bringing in billions every year. Total Blu-Ray revenue worldwide isn't much different than the total DVD revenue. Market share isn't everything. As long as the studios keep making billions, Blu-Ray's wont' be going anywhere. Just in the U.S. alone, over 80 million people have a Blu-Ray player. Blu-Ray sales are expected to increase over the next few years as well with the introduction of UHD Blu-Ray's.  

• Reply 40 of 61
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    The movie didn't bomb because it was about SJ, it bombed because it was a "Aaron Sorkin" movie. He's a fine writer but went out of his way to make this a "Cassavetes" film. That's why David Fincher, Christian Bale, and Sony, all baled from this project, because of Sorkin's minimalist vision. I personally liked the film, reminded me of John Cassavetes. The film is another brick in the wall of SJ's myth.