Tim Cook hints at new health product, touts iPad Pro as PC replacement in interview

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well I use DirecTV and I don't think that's sucks. My parents have Comcast and they recently updated their boxes/UI. It's actually quite nice. Here's an example. I like the black interface.

X1_WatchathonUI_Screen1_v3.3-3.jpg

x1-update-guide.jpg

When you really get into it, it's incredibly slow, buggy, laggy, and unintuitive. And it requires the use of what has to be the worst remote known to mankind. 

Don't even get me started on the big, ugly, incredibly poorly-designed cable box, of which I own three, and am charged $30/mo, for $360 a year (by Comcast). For life, making it a ripoff.

And the whole damn set-up consumes a ton of phantom power.

It is, overall, a piece of s*** par excellence.

• Reply 22 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    When you really get into it, it's incredibly slow, buggy, laggy, and unintuitive. And it requires the use of what has to be the worst remote known to mankind. 

Don't even get me started on the big, ugly, incredibly poorly-designed cable box, of which I own three, and am charged $30/mo, for $360 a year (by Comcast). For life, making it a ripoff.

And the whole damn set-up consumes a ton of phantom power.

It is, overall, a piece of s*** par excellence.

Well I've only seen it at my parents a few times so I can't really comment on useability. I don't really have any issues with my DirecTV interface. I do wish ?TV had a dark interface though. I'm kind of over the bright white everywhere (yes I'm talking about you iOS).
  • Reply 23 of 40
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    chia wrote: »
    It's frustrating and annoying that Tim Cook is in the UK giving interviews, yet Apple UK is yet to reveal iPad Pro pricing in the UK two days before its launch here, assuming of course, it is launching this week alongside elsewhere in the world.

Pro tip: take US pricing, convert to pound sterling, and assume approximately 5% variance.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Yup, it was about 16 months ago I predicted here medical bands, for diabetics, etc, that could be subsidized by insurance. That keeps the cost out of the watch while allowing Apple to play in a lower volume market while still netting high margins.

I don't recall the article saying this was happening or it saying Apple had announced they were dong this.

BTW, a few other million people had the exact same prediction.

• Reply 25 of 40
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Speaking of health and desktop replacements , is it possible to:

1. Download files such as PDF or Word forms from websites in Safari

2. Save the forms locally to the iPad

3. Fill out the forms using the iPad

4. Upload completed forms to websites which have a file upload option

Can saving and uploading files in Safari be done natively without hunting around for third party apps?

• Reply 26 of 40
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TomMikele View Post

I don't recall the article saying this was happening or it saying Apple had announced they were dong this.

BTW, a few other million people had the exact same prediction.

That was my point exactly.  That EricTheHalfBee didn't just come up with this notion.  And it's doubtful you will find many references prior to my original post, linked and copied below:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/178071/apple-to-sell-two-sizes-of-iwatch-with-flexible-amoled-displays-this-fall-prices-to-reach-thousands-of-dollars#post_2513582

4/9/14

I have this dream about the iWatch. The band could be where certain sensor are incorporated. So a diabetic would buy the iWatch body/face with the diabetic sensor band. That band might cost a pretty penny and be subsidized by insurance. A fitness junkie or athlete buys the sports band. Someone who merely wants an iWatch for its notifications capabilities and ability to run their iPhone Apps remotely would get the band with no special sensors. And some folks will get multiple bands, sports band for the daytime, dress band for evening, different colors, etc. and perhaps all the bands incorporate the battery, so when you switch bands you get a full charge (presumably your extra bands are stored atop your included inductive charger).

• Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHiavelli92 View Post

If it is a PC replacement, then logically Tim is talking about the death of OS X and the end of the Intel years.

No, he isn't. He said it's a PC replacement for many. That doesn't mean all, and it doesn't mean a convergence of OS X and iOS. 

• Reply 28 of 40
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    For now, I'll continue to prefer the new MacBook over the iPad Pro.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmm... a natural progression: iPod ? iPhone ? iPad ? iProbe.

Is the iProbe some kind of ad software that looks into your files in and out of the cloud and browser history to get information that Apple can sell to advertisers?

• Reply 30 of 40
    9secondko wrote: »
    The Mac is a HUGE business all by itself.

If Apple doesn't se that, then... It's been s great ride.

I'm all for the Pro. Will be getting a first gen. Rate for me.

But no way in the world will it be replacing my iMac. In fact, I'm hoping to add the next MBP 15" (but still hoping for a 17-18 inch model) to my new tech stable.

My iPad Pro will be primarily for drawing and travel presentation with email, ebooks, web browsing, and a game here or there on my downtime.

But the Mac will be where 99% of the work takes place that actually CREATES what I will use the iPad to present.

Maybe he wasn't talking about you.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

Is there an app that allows you to monitor the health stats (heartbeat, etc.) remotely of a person who is wearing an Apple Watch? With their opt-in permission, of course.

For anyone with aging parents (all of us, eventually), this would be a useful way to have peace-of-mind regarding their vital stats from afar. Doing a little research, I found one such app but it requires the wearer to start an Activity on the Watch. I'm looking for something that runs silently -- and without explicit invocation -- in the background and pushes status updates periodically (e.g., every 5 minutes) to anyone who subscribed to those updates.

Now that would be a really useful application. Imagine if the watch had GPS in it and didn't need the iPhone. Then you could track not only their vitals, but know where they are( if they have a habit of wondering off). This all assumes the person keeps the phone charged and wears it.

• Reply 32 of 40
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I hope it's an Apple-branded hearing aid--that would be huge.

Hopefully it would be tiny!!!

• Reply 33 of 40
    Please, please when will get an app for the aPencil that does handwriting recognition? Perhaps I should erect a shrine to Steve Jobs and put offerings before it every morning and light candles every night?
  • Reply 34 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Yes, the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people," Cook said. "They will start using it and conclude they no longer need to use anything else, other than their phones."

Given that Macbook sales have been going up and up over the last couple of years and iPad sales have been going down and down, that's a lot of hope to be pinning on a bigger screen.

I predict the opposite will be true: many, many people will conclude that a laptop and phone is all they need, and an iPad doesn't really add anything.

• Reply 35 of 40
    I would buy a PC because the development cycles are mercifully LONGER...
  • Reply 36 of 40
    chia wrote: »
    It's frustrating and annoying that Tim Cook is in the UK giving interviews, yet Apple UK is yet to reveal iPad Pro pricing in the UK two days before its launch here, assuming of course, it is launching this week alongside elsewhere in the world.

Currency fluctuations?
  • Reply 37 of 40
    ascii wrote: »
    Given that Macbook sales have been going up and up over the last couple of years and iPad sales have been going down and down, that's a lot of hope to be pinning on a bigger screen.

I predict the opposite will be true: many, many people will conclude that a laptop and phone is all they need, and an iPad doesn't really add anything.

Even while I'm at "work" I still use my iPad. I don't think the existence of one eliminates the usefulness of the other.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

That was my point exactly.  That EricTheHalfBee didn't just come up with this notion.  And it's doubtful you will find many references prior to my original post, linked and copied below:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/178071/apple-to-sell-two-sizes-of-iwatch-with-flexible-amoled-displays-this-fall-prices-to-reach-thousands-of-dollars#post_2513582

4/9/14

I have this dream about the iWatch. The band could be where certain sensor are incorporated. So a diabetic would buy the iWatch body/face with the diabetic sensor band. That band might cost a pretty penny and be subsidized by insurance. A fitness junkie or athlete buys the sports band. Someone who merely wants an iWatch for its notifications capabilities and ability to run their iPhone Apps remotely would get the band with no special sensors. And some folks will get multiple bands, sports band for the daytime, dress band for evening, different colors, etc. and perhaps all the bands incorporate the battery, so when you switch bands you get a full charge (presumably your extra bands are stored atop your included inductive charger).

He explicitly states the new health product is unrelated to the ?Watch and your first thought is watch bands?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Sensors inside a smart "band" that connects to your Apple Watch. They can take time to get the bands approved (along with the associated App) without affecting Apple Watch product cycles.

People who need additional monitoring (like glucose) can upgrade their Watch with a specific band. People who want basic health/fitness monitoring can just use the Watch "as is".

Yup, it was about 16 months ago I predicted here medical bands, for diabetics, etc, that could be subsidized by insurance. That keeps the cost out of the watch while allowing Apple to play in a lower volume market while still netting high margins.
    Fitbit and Moov are already being subsidized by Manulife. Does anyone know of a similar program that includes the Apple Watch?
  • Reply 40 of 40
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    adyb wrote: »
    Hopefully it would be tiny!!!

No it's gonna be HUUUUGE!!!!!
    adonissmu wrote: »

Is the iProbe some kind of ad software that looks into your files in and out of the cloud and browser history to get information that Apple can sell to advertisers?

No you're thinking of android.