Rumor: Second-gen Apple Watch on track for launch by June of 2016

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    Ans this article shows why I'm waiting to buy one. So when will Watch-gen1 be available on Apples refurbished site?
  • Reply 22 of 76
    WWDC 16 announcement likely, if that's the case.
  • Reply 23 of 76

Apple needs to flatten the design of the Watch as the next improvement.  It's too bulbous IMHO.  It should more closely follow the design language of the iPhone and iPad.  Obviously battery life could be improved, but the real need for change in the fashion industry is going to revolve around looks.  There is a reason why thousands of watch designs exist and Apple could likely field a much broader collection of physical forms, even if the screen and functions are the same across the line.

• Reply 24 of 76

So there are going to be some very unhappy apple watch christmas gift getters. 

I am surprised that apple would update this so soon vs. do it like the apple tv let it go for a cycle and make a splash. 

• Reply 25 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

At least in the western countries, having it available end April (as this year) is good as it makes a good gift for Mothers and Fathers day in May and June respectively.

My wishes:

1) Combination of better battery and lower power usage components allows an optional, "always on" watch face (configurable on when to enable, since people may not want it in low light conditions, etc). Such beautiful watch faces, it is a shame you cannot show them off more.

2) GPS for standalone usage (not that it is used that much in a day, but it would eliminate barriers to purchase for many I think).  Apple should be able to do something smart, so that GPS is only enabled & drawing power when disconnected from its companion iPhone.  That should make the power requirements over course of a day relatively small.

3) Slightly different design to differentiate from gen1.  People want their watches to be more personal and varied than phones.  

4) Interface for optional watch band with integrated battery.

5) Faster charging.  Getting 36 hours of use vs. 24 isn't that helpful, but ability to charge to 80% in 1/2 hour would be.

My number 1 s/w feature request - a specific taptic engine alert when the iPhone becomes disconnected from iPhone - to let you know that you are leaving that phone behind.  A specific set of taps that repeats for a few seconds so you won't miss it.  Make it optional to enable of course.  This will save lost iPhones, leaving house/work without it unintentionally, etc.

Having a big ass watch because of the bigger battery is a bigger barrier, for me a large GPS watch would be something i'd never buy.

They either make the GPS much more effective or have a better battery. The CPU itself takes almost no power in normal operations, so saving power that way won't help much.

You have to weight everything when you put a product out.

If they have a special extreme sport edition, then maybe I'd see it; but that's a stretch.

• Reply 26 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sziehr View Post

I am surprised that apple would update this so soon vs. do it like the apple tv let it go for a cycle and make a splash. 

Why unhappy, they got a great gift 6 months earlier. Are Iphone 6 users unhappy 9 months later?

I always find this kind of things a bit weird. There is always something new coming up in tech.

• Reply 27 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sziehr View Post

How is a hardware update after 14 months "soon"? And no, I don't think anyone will be "unhappy" with getting an Apple watch because of the possibility that it will be updated a full 6 months later. Or is every Appe product not bough the second of release useless? Worse-case scenario, you well your free gift at that time and get the newer model. Oh, the absolute horror. People will be buying Apple Watches a week before the new one arrives, nevermind a full 6 months. 

• Reply 28 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Apple needs to flatten the design of the Watch as the next improvement.  It's too bulbous IMHO.  It should more closely follow the design language of the iPhone and iPad.  Obviously battery life could be improved, but the real need for change in the fashion industry is going to revolve around looks.  There is a reason why thousands of watch designs exist and Apple could likely field a much broader collection of physical forms, even if the screen and functions are the same across the line.

It's less thick than the average watch so not sure what your talking about.

With current battery tech and face size, they don't have a choice.

• Reply 29 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alvinguzman View Post

Thank you...I am debating whenever to get Gen1 - I will wait - that dependency on having the phone needs to be removed or make it totally optional - this thing should work like an Apple TV, iPad, Ipod 

There is only a dependency now for cell comm and GPS and setup-app transfer, if you have a wifi you can get a big amount of commnication done without the phone. Also, if the phone is on the same wifi network, your "dependency" is not that great. So, the phone could be on your desk and you somewhere else in the building.

BTW, many versions of Iphones depended on having a PC for many things and nobody was whining about that little babies.

Basically, the same old leitmotiv whine; like a broken record; find something new.

• Reply 30 of 76
    Since the size of the watch limits the technology that can be crammed inside, I expect that additional functionality will be added through the watchband connectors. They should be able to make bands with extra batteries, antennas, and whatever chips that can be placed within the thickness of a watchband. And there are some big watchbands out there...
  • Reply 31 of 76
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Improve the software for the first one. I may never buy another Apple Watch again if this one isn't better.

Indépendant app designers have lagged a bit, the native apps are snappy, even moreso with the updated software, but there are still some independents that show they could use an efficiency upgrade now that they have more access to the code.

In a balance between relying on the iPhone for long range communication for data etc. OR cramming all the radios into the watch and having the battery last a couple of hours? I'll take carrying the iPhone (since I would anyway).

As to size? Both my pair of G-Shocks and my Submariner are thicker, an individual's reaction probably depends on what was worn before and I've tended to functional, thus biggish, watches for quite a while and then the Submariner, built for diving and heavy use, is robust even though it's functions are listed to date and time. So my 42 mm stainless is, if anything, a slight downsize for me.

• Reply 32 of 76
    jmgregory1 wrote: »

how does adopting the visual design of iphone/ipad increase its looks? i dont doubt that looks are important, but i wouldnt say mimicking the iPhone meets that criteria. different devices.
  • Reply 33 of 76
    more health sensors and longer battery life (although I currently average about 48 hrs on my current Apple Watch) with low to medium levels of use.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Indépendant app designers have lagged a bit, the native apps are snappy, even moreso with the updated software, but there are still some independents that show they could use an efficiency upgrade now that they have more access to the code.

it's still slower than id like. both third party apps (Phillips Hue -- doesnt seem any different than watchOS 1, so i can't tell if they upgraded it), and native apps -- starting new Workouts has me waiting on it during the menu steps.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    1. 2016 update sounds great! Doesn't seem like the current iteration is appealing enough.

2. Updates needed: longer battery life, thinner and GPS.

3. Updates hopeful: an "always on" setting and a water proof version.

For AW to hit mainstream, it really needs to be always on. A watch is a fashion statement, which is hard to make when it's a blank screen 80% of the time. Hopefully battery life and screen technology can resolve this?
  • Reply 36 of 76
    I hope it's compatible with the 6th gen iPod touch. I also wish I could fly. But seriously, what is it about the iPhone 5 and later that makes them compatible? What does the iPhone 5 and later have that the iPhone 4s and earlier don't? Bluetooth version? GPS model? It could be all kinds of stuff. Depending on what it is, the Apple Watch 2 might have what the iPod is missing. What if it's just GPS? Then the Apple Watch 2 could be iPod compatible. Of course, I'm being a little too hopeful. It probably needs cellular. A guy can dream, right?
  • Reply 37 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

My number 1 s/w feature request - a specific taptic engine alert when the iPhone becomes disconnected from iPhone - to let you know that you are leaving that phone behind.  A specific set of taps that repeats for a few seconds so you won't miss it.  Make it optional to enable of course.  This will save lost iPhones, leaving house/work without it unintentionally, etc.

Whoa. You just blew my mind. Great ideas!

Still holding my breath for iPod compatibility. I'm literally turning bluer than the Royal Blue sports band. ¯\_(?)_/¯

• Reply 38 of 76
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

I'll wait for the Hermes version to come out.

• Reply 39 of 76
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I am looking forward to ? Watch 2.

They could actually just sell the watch body as most of the first generation buyers already have the watch band(s)?

• Reply 40 of 76
    sziehr wrote: »

I'm surprised people take rumor to be fact.