Jimmy Iovine says finding music is difficult for some women [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    sdw2001 wrote: »
    Totally misleading headline. He wasn't suggesting that at all. He was saying women have trouble finding the right music for the right occasion. I don't know if that's accurate, but it's not "some women have trouble with tech."

More importantly, this reads as "company explains a market segmentation choice, needs to apologize over acknowledging it. Going forwards, tampons will be available for both genders."
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

More importantly, this reads as "company explains a market segmentation choice, needs to apologize over acknowledging it. Going forwards, tampons will be available for both genders."

“The Bro.”

“Mansierre!”

“BRO!”

“MANSIERRE!”

• Reply 23 of 57
    solipsismy wrote: »
    PC Principal doesn't want to hear that, Bro!

We're gonna check his privilege.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    It's difficult for some men too. AppleMusic/iTunes/MusicMatch is a redundant confusing mess. It's the kind of mess that if Steve Jobs had seen it on Microsoft he'd have said: "This is something Apple can solve."

Of course there had to be a Steve Jovs reference. Do you by any chance remember MobileMe? It was designed, developed and delivered on... Wait for it... Steve Jobs' watch. It beyond time to let the Steve Jobs was perfect image go.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Wow. Well, *I'm* a woman and I literally wrote the book on modern methods of acoustic mood analysis. I'll put my algs up against Jimmy any day. ;)

Apple needs to rethink their entire approach to music; from iTunes to ears.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

Welcome to 'Murica.

• Reply 27 of 57
    This was a stupid comment to make. For a company like Apple. He was right to apologize. End of story.

(As an aside, it never ceases to amaze me that, every time there's a story about Apple and women, a whole bunch of disaffected, my-manhood-is-threatened types feel obligated to show up with their juvenile slams. I've got news for you: The world has changed dramatically on these issues. Adapt.)
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Of course there had to be a Steve Jovs reference. Do you by any chance remember MobileMe? It was designed, developed and delivered on... Wait for it... Steve Jobs' watch. It beyond time to let the Steve Jobs was perfect image go.
    I guess I didn't make my comment as specific as I should have. It was aimed at Apple for not living up to its own DNA of making the complicated simple, not at contributing to the "Saint Steve" meme.

Onn the other hand, I hope we haven't gotten to the point where Jobs can never be mentioned in a positive light without the writer being criticized.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    So now, we, don't know how to find music. I find that very pedantic and offensive.
    Time to sent not so lovine and beats me dre, home, to contain the damage.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    mac1985 wrote: »
    Wow. Am I the only female that visits this site? Guys you need to chill out.

Do you really need to throw around the c-word

Sorry to say that I'm not surprised by the verbiage used by some of the posters here - they're not called fan"boys" without reason.

Now if Jimmy had just said, "Sometimes people have a hard time finding the right music - Apple Music is designed to help them" we wouldn't be here making mountains out of molehills.

sarcasm on
    Seeing as the music industry has NEVER been accused of being sexist I'm surprised his comments were as offensive as some have said
    sarcasm off
  • Reply 31 of 57
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    If you watch the video, after Iovine made the comment, one of the female hosts said, "he's talking about me, cuz I was telling him earlier".

He gets immediate agreement from the demographic he's talking about; doesn't that prove that he makes a valid point? He didn't even, even corrected himself saying "some women". This is all overblown, I think.

But it was classy of him to apologize anyway.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It's a real issue these days, the Perpetually Offended Class. They don't want equality, they want privilege and their "enemies" punished.

Wow.  That's exactly how I feel about conservatives.   

Especially Fox News and Talk Radio.  Constant whining that it's not some pretend 1950s anymore.

With that said.  I don't think Jimmy was being sexist.  Just saying that Apple did a commercial for women - not just for dancing silouhettes 

• Reply 33 of 57
    mac1985 wrote: »

FYI, Relic, and Rogifan are ladies.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Deleted fat fingered dup.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Btw, how is relic's health doing? Good I hope.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple is a classy company. Jimmy Iovine is anything but. Worst $3B Apple spent.

Google just hired the co-founder of VMWare to run all their cloud businesses to seriously challenge Microsoft and Amazon in this space. Meanwhile Apple has goofy Eddy running the show recommending spending $3B on overpriced headphones.

It's been 7 months since the acquisition. Seriously, get over it. You have like 3 topics you predictably spam every thread with, over and over again.  

"Goofy"? Beats has already paid for itself, and this thread have nothing to do with he acquisition. Also, no one gives a shit if you think they're "over-priced". They sell, alot, and have a great brand, just like Apple products. "Worst $3B"? Really? Based on what? Your perception of Beats? You're the classless one. 

• Reply 37 of 57
    Note that I he commercial was targeted to a certain demographic, black women. This was one reason Apple bought Beats, was to attract more black folks into the Apple tent (glam bootylicious warblers will attract both guys and gals.)
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mac1985 View Post

Do you really need to throw around the c-word?

"Perpetually Offended Class?" I assumed the guys reading this blog were relatively bright and educated. Sorry that there are obnoxious people that over-react in the name of feminism. The commenters before me are all obnoxious over-reactors in the name of anti-feminism. If any of you have daughters, I am sure you want a better world for them. Count the number of secretaries in your companies and the number of women in upper management. This isn't a fluke.

And the idea that women are mystified by tech is ridiculous and outdated. My nine year old niece is teaching herself to code. Many of my female friends are engineers. Me, I am just a salesperson that thinks gadgets are awesome. Maybe you all should date smarter women. Or would you be threatened?

Don't forget to look at the percentage.

How many women feel comfortable e.g. to find music on iTunes?

How many men?

Unless you do a research with a representative sample, your own observations is very limited and might not reflect the reality.

You have a selection bias. If you are good with tech, most likely you have a hight percentage of friends who are good with tech.

• Reply 39 of 57
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The world has changed dramatically on these issues. Adapt.

Not a valid statement.

• Reply 40 of 57
    Not a valid statement.

Why shouldn't a person adapt their views over time?