First look: Apple Pencil paired with iPad Pro is no ordinary stylus

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    I'm looking forward to getting the exciting Zune brown Apple Pencils like the ones in the article's photos. How do I order them?
  • Reply 22 of 39
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Just thought it should be said that if you roll the pencil, it Always stops with the 'Apple' logo on the silver band, facing up! Noes that's detail!
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Respectfully disagree, and feel it's nice to have that option. With the end an eraser I'm sure there'd be a healthy consistency across apps enabling users to not need to learn eraser location on a per app basis.

So... you're a fan of skeumorphism (albeit in a different form factor, same paradigm)?

Don't we already know the end of that story?

• Reply 25 of 39
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Anyone know if the pencil will work through a sheet of paper?
  • Reply 26 of 39
    cornchip wrote: »

I don't see why it wouldn't (but I didn't test that in-store).
  • Reply 27 of 39

I'm hoping iPad Air 3 will be compatible with the Apple Pencil, and there will be a way to attach the Apple Pencil to the iPad when not in use. The size of the iPad Pro is prohibitive for what I use the iPad for, but the Apple Pencil is an amazing device that I hope to be able to use with future generations of regularly sized iPad. 

• Reply 28 of 39
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Don't want to toy with your fingers? Get this $1 capacitive pen, cut the top and place over the magnetic cap.

This is exactly what I have and use with my iPad Air. Unless the tablet has been optimized (like the iPad Pro w/Pencil), it's not worth spending a ton of cash on those pricier $80+ styluses.

• Reply 29 of 39
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Yes, it does. (I actually tried it.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

Does the iPad Pro hardware and/or iOS 9 allow for additional 3rd-party "pencils"? That is, are the APIs open and is the hardware accessible for other device manufacturers to leverage in their own unique ways?

Not yet (no idea if some kind of MFI program is coming down the road, but my guess is "no"). The protocol could certainly be reverse engineered, but that would still require iOS to allow pairing for that purpose. I might be pessimistic, but I do not see them going there for quite some time.

• Reply 30 of 39
    mytdave wrote: »
    And now if Apple will come out with Pencil 2 and simply put a digital "eraser" on the other end, which could work simply by turning the Pencil up-side-down, it will become fully functional...  

Actually, the sensors in the existing Pencil should be able to detect if the Pencil is up-side-down, so all Apple really needs to do is make a replacement cap with a soft top so it doesn't scratch the screen, issue a tiny software update, and presto, fixed.

its not broken. the pointy end is much more precise than the blunt end.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    I would be interested in knowing how well it works for writing long complicated equation. I frequently work out long equations on paper with a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil with integrals which often require using lots of subscripts (even subscripts of subscripts). I tried using my iPad Air to do it but I really couldn't figure out what might be the best stylus to use. I have to be able to make very fine marks, and the software was capable of doing it. But the rubber tipped type of stylus I tried was too wide to get pinpoint accuracy. I have seen other styluses that have finer tips with a transparent disc at the end but I have read that they could scratch the screen.

you want the Pencil. i just tried it today at the store, and the precision is amazing. just the plain old Notes app w/ the pencil tool is incredible.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »

Yes, it does. (I actually tried it.)

++good!
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Respectfully disagree, and feel it's nice to have that option. With the end an eraser I'm sure there'd be a healthy consistency across apps enabling users to not need to learn eraser location on a per app basis.

It's a widely held preference (among artists) Have you ever seen an artists pencil?

We have them (eraser caps) on the back of the Cintiq & Wacom digitizer styli and I (and virtually everyone else) almost never uses it.

Almost everyone uses a hotkey on the keyboard. it is just too disturbing to release, flip around, re-grip, erase, release, flip around, re-grip and continue, when a keypress will suffice. Flipping the stylus around to erase is one of those things that looked cool in a demo but never really worked.

https://www.google.com/search?q=artist+pencil&tbm=isch&gws_rd=ssl#gws_rd=ssl&imgrc=_

I'm really hoping that the iPadPro's interface will grow and that use of fingers to simultaneously push and hold modifying buttons (even multiple modifying buttons at once) and actually using fingers to smudge (or erase) on the drawing surface (in combination with the pencil) will become commonplace.

• Reply 34 of 39
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I am using iPad pro to read this and I also have the pencil which I had to drive an hour and half to get the last remaining pencil at Best Buy.

The Pencil is quite a marvel. I have used Bluetooth styluses and capacitive styluses but none of them work as well as the Pencil. It solves all the issues I had with those styluses. As for recharging, there is an adapter that lets you plug in with the common iPhone or iPad recharger to recharge the pencil which is good because I am not crazy about doing it on my iPad pro port.

the screen is too smooth but I suspect that adding a plastic screen protector would help create more friction and make writing less slippery.

I would definitely recommend the silicone case for it. It just feels fragile and having it adds more protection. The case flushes the screen so it makes it less likely to crack glass if you drop it face down. Well intuitively. I'd not test it.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/65537/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

For those who are curious. You can recharge pencil without having to insert it in iPad pro using the female to female adapter. Wish apple was more clear with that.

Oddly, if you use pencil while it's being recharged via the adapter cable, the pencil doesn't operate. It should operate. You wouldn't want a phone to be disabled if you have it recharged so why is the pencil disabled?
  • Reply 36 of 39
    netrox wrote: »

For those who are curious. You can recharge pencil without having to insert it in iPad pro using the female to female adapter. Wish apple was more clear with that.

Oddly, if you use pencil while it's being recharged via the adapter cable, the pencil doesn't operate. It should operate. You wouldn't want a phone to be disabled if you have it recharged so why is the pencil disabled?

1) It seems clear to me what the adaptor is for when you open the box.

2) It takes 15 seconds to charge it for 30 minutes. How much of charge do you get from an iPhone or MBP after 15 seconds of charging? I really don't see a problem with it not working for less than a minute so you don't have a weighed cable pulling on it as you wait for a couple more hours of use. Hell, even a coffee or bathroom break will get you more than a full days use right there.

edit: corrected typo.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Hi Rogifan, thanks for the link to Serenity Caldwell's review. Can't wait to get my hands on one - Christmas present to myself perhaps.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) It seems clear to me what the adaptor is for when you open the box.

Oh, I understood right away when I opened it. But not on Apple's website. It displayed just the pen and the extra tip. It didn't show the female to female adapter. It noted, "adapter included" but I was assuming it meant the erase end. It should have shown the adapter. 

2) It takes 15 minutes to charge it for 30 minutes. How much of charge do you get from an iPhone or MBP after 15 seconds of charging? I really don't see a problem with it not working for less than a minute so you don't have a weighed cable pulling on it as you wait for a couple more hours of use. Hell, even a coffee or bathroom break will get you more than a full days use right there.

It takes 15 SECONDS to recharge for 30 minutes of writing. I haven't measured the time as I just recharge overnight. But I would like it to be kept recharging while connected via the cable and still be in operation. It isn't. It's not crucial but it's just odd that it would be disabled while recharging. We don't do that with iPhones and iPads. 

• Reply 39 of 39
    netrox wrote: »
    It takes 15 SECONDS to recharge for 30 minutes of writing. I haven't measured the time as I just recharge overnight. But I would like it to be kept recharging while connected via the cable and still be in operation. It isn't. It's not crucial but it's just odd that it would be disabled while recharging. We don't do that with iPhones and iPads. 

I made a typo, I meant to write seconds, which is goes to my point that charging it does not take away from your workflow, but that having a cable pulling on the backend would just be a hassle all around.