Teardown of iPad Pro Smart Keyboard shows conductive fabric, MacBook-based key design

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    The cavemen with screwdrivers have judged this product unrepairable by cavemen with screwdrivers.

Don't you mean cave women? Because that's who stars in all their videos... ????
  • Reply 42 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

You are aactually fine with a $169 price for that thing?

Maybe Apple i paying $80 apiece to have it manufactured or something.

Apple supply chain is like Walmart's. Prices are cheap as they squeeze the hell out of them like Walmart does.

I wish it were less, of course. But then, I wish everything were less, don't we all? But without knowing what it really costs to produce, I can't say whether its a good price or not. Like most everything else, if you think you need it, then it's worth it. I look at prices other than the initial cost. I look at how long I expect to have something, which is generally years, and divide the purchase price over that time. If I buy this, and keep it for three years, then it just costs about $60 per year, including taxes. That doesn't bother me.

• Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You obviously did since you mentioned why repairability reports matter. Seems pertinent to the point you were making doesn't it? No reason to be dismissive of it IMHO.

Why is it that you always deliberately twist what people say so that you pretend they mean what you want them to mean, rather than what they intended to mean?

• Reply 44 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    :???:
    melgross wrote: »

Why is it that you always deliberately twist what people say so that you pretend they mean what you want them to mean, rather than what they intended to mean?
  • Reply 45 of 52
    gatorguy wrote: »
    :???:

Impressive non reply on your part.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razormaid View Post

How is the backlit? I was thinking I might breakdown and get this one too as I work a lot in dusk and poorly lit rooms to not disturb others.

It works very well. It'd be excellent for use on planes as well. The keyboard also feels a lot closer to that on the MBP and MBA than the Apple Smart Keyboard. I'm happy with it. It's a little bulkier than I expected but offers very good protection for that reason and another plus is that you can lay the iPad down on an angle to use for "normal" iPad usage as well as for using the Apple Pencil. Doesn't seem you can do that with the Apple Smart Keyboard. 

• Reply 47 of 52
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

…you will probably be able to use it with an iPad Pro3 in a couple of years.

If Apple’s history is any indicator, the iPad Pro’s accessories won’t work with any future models. Just like the iPad and iPhone.

• Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If Apple’s history is any indicator, the iPad Pro’s accessories won’t work with any future models. Just like the iPad and iPhone.

Yep, changes happen....  if connector changes did not happen from time to time I would still have an LPT1 and serial port on my computer, and my sockets for Intel processors would not change.... 

• Reply 49 of 52
    Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

…an LPT1 and serial port on my computer, and my sockets for Intel processors would not change…. 

This is about structural changes. 3 will still be using Lightning, but it will probably be so physically different that its accessories won’t fit the 1, nor vice versa.

• Reply 50 of 52

This is about structural changes. 3 will still be using Lightning, but it will probably be so physically different that its accessories won’t fit the 1, nor vice versa.

If it's still using Lightning, then it will be exactly the same, physically. But we're seeing the first internal change with the Pro. It now communicates at USB 3 speeds. Or will, when the new cables come out, which is something that I don't understand. It's a cable, it should be out the same time as the device that needs it, and should have been included.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If it's still using Lightning, then it will be exactly the same, physically.

So the iPhone and the iPhone 4S are exactly the same physically and can use the same accessories? If they change the iPad Pro case at all, nothing from the first gen will fit it.

Or will, when the new cables come out, which is something that I don't understand. It's a cable, it should be out the same time as the device that needs it, and should have been included.

Honestly, all Lightning devices should have had a USB 3 port on the other end. It’s backward compatible, so it’s not like Apple would have been cutting out any portion of their customer base in doing so.