Apple rumored to ditch headphone jack on 'iPhone 7' for Lightning connector audio

Comments

• Reply 41 of 191
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NailedToTheX View Post

Hmmm. How am I going to charge my phone while I listen to my headphones. I practically do this every night when going to sleep... Bluetooth I suppose...

There's no reason why some company (including Apple) can't come up with some sort of Y cable or adapter that allows simultaneous charging and headphone use. That headphone connection could be Lightning or 3.5mm analog. Yes, that cable/adapter would be yet another annoying dongle to keep around...

• Reply 42 of 191
    Apple will always do what It will. Beyond that things like the Square and PayPal reader need access to the earphone port. Other specialty products do too. We need longer battery life not thinner instruments. Why, every two years, must we not only change our phone but a host of accessories as well?

Yes, I know I am not "forced" to make such changes but the OS will make it Neccessary anyway. Thinner isn't better!
  • Reply 43 of 191
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    One thing's fore sure, the 3.5mm Jack is going away. Eventually. Everything else is blind speculation, but I don't see why all three options couldnt coexist: wireless, lightning wired and dongle splitter. Whatever works best for you.
  • Reply 44 of 191
    I really think Apple should go for thinner devices, incorporate more or less the same battery life (hey, it's fine already). Any OEM could make thick phones with bigger batteries; and that concept is already dated. Investing in new battery tech would also be a nice idea...
    From a futuristic perspective, losing the 3.5 mm jack is a bold step. Considering the fact a few years from now Apple users will be the cool guys using wireless headphones, with devices thinner than other OEMs could ever imagine...I don't think Samsung would be happy with that. ;)
    That'd drive higher wireless headphone sales, better tech in that field, and a general progression in mobile experience. I hate wires, let me make that clear...
    And for those who believe thinner is for the worse: don't you guys want those glass sheet thin tablets that project holograms in sci-fi movies, before the next century? I do, I guess the people at Apple do too.
    Here's to a great and glorious future. Apple, as usual, takes the first step. ?? ?
  • Reply 45 of 191
    cali wrote: »

Most likely they'll have 2 lightning connectors.

True wireless charging or you mean the Samsung wireless charging? The Sammy one is crap and inconvenient.

I doubt there will be two Lightning connectors. I can't image the number of people wanting to charge their iPhone and listen via headphones at the same time is so high that this would be a requirement. For such a nice use there will be a splitter.
  • Reply 46 of 191
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wireless is the future. My surround system is, why not headphones? Wires are so 1990.

Tell the headphone manufacturers to support Bluetooth pairing for more than a single computer/phone/stereo.  I don't want to keep unpairing and pairing again when going between different devices.

• Reply 47 of 191

Tell the Bluetooth Consortium to have Bluetooth 5 give us bandwidth necessary to carry lossless audio. Until then, wired can’t be replaced.

“But most people…”

Is that what we’ve become now? Is the transformation REALLY that complete? We’re REALLY going to accept that teaching to the lowest common denominator is an acceptable way to run a civilization? Then God help us, because it’s all coming down.

• Reply 48 of 191
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 49 of 191
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I don't understand? The very thin iPod Touch does have a round headphone jack. Unless the iPhone 7 is going to be thinner than the iPod?

EDIT: Ah, I got it. They want to further simplify the design by getting rid of the headphone jack. The lightning connector will be used for recharging && plugging in your headphones. Very neat!

This means they could get rid of the round headphone jack on the Macbook as well? Or replace it with a second lightning connector?

;) 

• Reply 50 of 191
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A couple of thoughts. One, does Apple freely make available the Lightning connector technology to third parties? I recall vaguely that there was some issue about that in the past, and I lost track of whether and how it was resolved. I bring it up in the context of some third party maker being able to create a 3.5 pin-to-Lightning adapter so people can continue to use their legacy headsets. (I still use the 30-pin to 8-pin adapter occasionally).

IIRC it was the chips inside the Lightning cable that third parties had to source from Apple.  No idea if that's still the case, but given how many third party cables are out there, I doubt it.

• Reply 51 of 191
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wireless is the future. My surround system is, why not headphones? Wires are so 1990.

Yes, I love the future too.  I love how the music I'm streaming via Airplay disappears when I  turn on the microwave or one of the kids starts heavy lifting on the WiFi.  And no, Bluetooth does not have the same audio quality as a pair of wires.

• Reply 52 of 191
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Lightning already supports analog audio out and you can buy adapters for 3.5 mm plugs.
  • Reply 53 of 191
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member

I don't really believe this kind of rumors, but I'm curious about such a big move on Apple's side.

For sure I don't like to have an adapter just to connect mi headphone to the iPhone .

• Reply 54 of 191
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Lightning audio is probably a good thing. It could conceivable bring higher quality audio to the device.

iPhones, however, are already way too thin. We have long passed the threshold by which making the devices thinner is providing any real utility. All they are doing is making them more difficult to hold on to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Command_F View Post

As I look at my now use-extended 5s, I know which dimension I would like to shrink on next year's iPhone, but that's off-topic!

I have mixed feelings about a Lightning connection for headphones. I'm not sure that you can buy such things yet, though that could change by next year's iPhone update, but the choice (and cost) is not likely to be as attractive as 3.5mm jack for a while. On the other hand, the current 'remote' interface would be much improved by digital communication across Lightning and sound could conceivably improve by staying digital on the cable right up to the earpieces.

Taking the digital audio stream from a lightning connector and doing the D/A conversion outside the phone can not improve audio quality over a standard headphone jack.

What I would like to see is a new miniaturised headphone connector that works like mag-safe.  It would have a disconnection force that is less than that required to break average headphone cable conductor.  The earbud and headphone manufacturers wouldn't welcome it though.  I wouldn't be surprised if 70% of their sales were driven by cable break replacements.  Such a connector could be waterproof and allow for more easily weather-sealed devices.

• Reply 55 of 191
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Lightning already supports analog audio out and you can buy adapters for 3.5 mm plugs.

I believe it's line-level analogue audio.  Good luck with your hearing if connect that to your in-ear phones.

• Reply 56 of 191
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    mjtomlin wrote: »

I'm fairly certain that Lightning does NOT support analogue audio out. It is fully digital.

Any adapter you can buy includes a D/A converter.
  • Reply 57 of 191
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    cnocbui wrote: »

I believe it's line-level analogue audio.  Good luck with your hearing if connect that to your in-ear phones.

All iOS devices output full line level when you connect a line input to their 3.5 mm jacks. They do fine with headphones.

This isn't the issue.

Not actually outputting an analogue signal, however, is.
  • Reply 58 of 191
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Taking the digital audio stream from a lightning connector and doing the D/A conversion outside the phone can not improve audio quality over a standard headphone jack.

I agree that an improvement is not guaranteed.

However, there are several mechanisms by which moving the D-to-A outside the phone could improve audio quality. The most promising is because the electrical environment inside the phone is very noisy (everything is very close together and there are lots of very fast digital signals: however good the internal shielding, it will be quieter outside the phone's enclosure). Other possible benefits include avoiding pick-up on the cable and the opportunity to use a better quality D-to-A component.

• Reply 59 of 191
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPilot View Post

Do they expect me to just throw away my $300 headphones and my $150 earbuds? Ridiculous move Apple expecting me to diminish my user experience so you can save a mm of thickness.

I'm sure the phone will come with a lightning to 3.5mm adapter or Apple will sell one.

Don't let your lack of forward thinking slow the rate of technology. Connectors come and go.

I bet you complained that you couldn't play your $500 worth of PS2 games on your PS4.

• Reply 60 of 191
    mariomario Posts: 348member

Stupidest idea ever. I don't need a thiner phone. I need a phone with battery that lasts longer. I need a phone with better, faster lens (and those take space), I need a phone where I don't have to carry 15 accessories just to listen to music on the damn thing. I need a phone where actual multitasking is possible, I need a phone where editing text in advanced editor and sharing documents between apps is possible. 

I don't need a phone that is so thin it's a challenge to pick it off the table. I don't need a phone where plugging in a headphone jack or charger requires leaning against the wall to stabilize your hand.