Amazon says Instant Video app for tvOS could launch 'within a few weeks'

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 76
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    you went back to ATV3 for 1/4 functions of ATV4 while complained ATV4 lack of functions? Damn! How come are there many contradictory trolls in this world? Your ATV4 must hate you so much because it's been flawless on every app I used in there. HBO Go, ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube...d
    I don't play games - but i do use the search function a fair bit and I've gotten quite used to controlling the Apple TV with the remote app on my watch. The convenience of typing search criteria with my iPhone and using my watch for general navigation outweigh anything new that Apple TV 4 brings to the table. So, yeah - the Apple TV 3 may do less than the 4 - but the 4 also does less than the 3 - and for my use cases - the 3 is currently a better fit... I'm sure the 4 will catch up after a couple firmware updates. Clearly it was released before it was "finished".
  • Reply 42 of 76
    My ? tv 4 has been awesome. Set up was the simplest ever. I was prompted on the tv screen to hold my iOS device with bluetooth turned on and it would set up ? tv automatically with my account settings and it went flawlesly. I really doubt that there are very many issues for people who are using the new box, but there are always some vocal people (trolls/haters) that will come to this site and cry about any ? product.
    Great job on the ? TV 4.

    Now who's trolling. Just because someone has a problem their a troll or a hater?

    Setup is identical to the AppleTV 3. No change in the way you can use your iPhone to do the initial setup. The time consuming portion is entering passwords for each and every app.

    I wish they could use keychain so we didn't have to reenter passwords at all.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PowerMacBandit View Post



    Hopefully it's more reliable then the Netflix and Hulu apps. I have to force quit the apps every other day to get them to load and every few days that doesn't work so I have to restart the AppleTV 4 to make it work. Buggiest Apple product over ever had. I'd try a full restore but without the iPhone remote app reentering the passwords for everything is a huge pain. Especially since frequently the apps don't accept the password the first few times you enter them.



    I've disconnected the 4 and went back to my stone dead reliable 3rd gen.

     

    So, because Netflix and Hulu make pieces of shit apps, you blame apple.

    Don't believe you actually owned own buddy because of idiotic things you're saying.

  • Reply 44 of 76
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PowerMacBandit View Post





    Now who's trolling. Just because someone has a problem their a troll or a hater?



    Setup is identical to the AppleTV 3. No change in the way you can use your iPhone to do the initial setup. The time consuming portion is entering passwords for each and every app.



    I wish they could use keychain so we didn't have to reenter passwords at all.

     

    You're the troll buddy. You're whole tone was off the chart in the T zone.

  • Reply 45 of 76
    Not blaming Apple. But what's the point of a car if no one makes tired tired that work on it. As I said previously though I've done a compete restore and at the moment things are working.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,627member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PowerMacBandit View Post



    Not blaming Apple. But what's the point of a car if no one makes tired tired that work on it. As I said previously though I've done a compete restore and at the moment things are working.



    Yes you were blaming Apple and now you’re trying to say you don’t. In your original post called the ATV4 the buggiest product ever released by Apple. In case it hasn’t dawned on you yet the reason you’re taking so much flak in this thread is because of the Apple bashing attitude you infused into your original post. You started this and then expected no blowback to refute your assertions?

  • Reply 47 of 76
    This is great if true. As a Prime member it would be great to access Amazon Video without AirPlay or firing up a different streaming device (PS4). Just got the ATV 4 on Black Friday and I am loving it. Definitely want to see Amazon and Vudu bring their apps to TVos
  • Reply 48 of 76
    Hopefully it's more reliable then the Netflix and Hulu apps. I have to force quit the apps every other day to get them to load and every few days that doesn't work so I have to restart the AppleTV 4 to make it work. Buggiest Apple product over ever had. I'd try a full restore but without the iPhone remote app reentering the passwords for everything is a huge pain. Especially since frequently the apps don't accept the password the first few times you enter them.

    I've disconnected the 4 and went back to my stone dead reliable 3rd gen.

    haven't had any of those problems. none of my apps have ever required restarting. nor restart my Apple TV.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    acgmph wrote: »
    Wow... reading some of the comments... I think I'm better off with that Fire stick and ATV3 instead of getting this new ATV4... Is it really that buggy? I watch Netflix and HBO pretty much all the time, if these are unreliable, then I will skip the ATV4.

    no. no, it isn't. have had zero technical issues with mine whatsoever.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post



    Good. I'm really into "The Man in the High Castle." Would be great to stream those through my AppleTV (sans unreliable AirPlay).

     

     

    For what it is worth, Airplay works better on the new Apple TV. 

  • Reply 51 of 76
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PowerMacBandit View Post



    Hopefully it's more reliable then the Netflix and Hulu apps. I have to force quit the apps every other day to get them to load and every few days that doesn't work so I have to restart the AppleTV 4 to make it work. Buggiest Apple product over ever had. I'd try a full restore but without the iPhone remote app reentering the passwords for everything is a huge pain. Especially since frequently the apps don't accept the password the first few times you enter them.



    I've disconnected the 4 and went back to my stone dead reliable 3rd gen.

     

    You are either trolling, or have a defective system. I stream Netflix, and HBO daily - no problem. I love it. Playing casual games is great. 

  • Reply 52 of 76

    Haven't had a single problem with my ATV4. Nor have I had any problems with apps, downloading, the SteelSeries controllers, or anything else.

    Looks great, works great. 

  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tenly View Post



    I own a 17" MacBook Pro, an iPad 1, 3, mini and Air 2, an iPhone 6s+, an Apple TV 2,3 and 4, a 27" 5k iMac and the Apple Watch. I love them all - except for the Apple TV 4.



    No 4K is my first issue. Secondly, there are about a dozen categories Siri can search for in TV shows - but Sitcoms is not one of them? WTF? That's almost all I watch! Even "comedy" is missing from the TV categories. It's there for movies - why not TV? I thought I could ask Siri pretty much anything I could ask her on the phone - but apparently not. The other day I tried to ask her about new movies playing near me and she told me she couldn't help me with movies. Then I tried restaurants - and got the same reply. The lack of support for the Apple Remote app on the iPhone and Apple Watch is annoying (and mind boggling) as is the crappy way we are now forced to enter text. I like the fact that I can download 3rd party apps - and when Siri does know the answer to something, I like the way that it is presented. I also like the new remote - except for the way it has to be used for text entry.



    Overall though, I expected much more for a 4th generation Apple product. I don't see much that differentiates it from the Roku or Amazon products. I have gone back to my Apple 3 TV for now and will probably pick up the new Amazon box so that I'm able to play 4K content. The Apple TV4 will sit and gather dust until they release a firmware update that fixes some of these annoyances and adds some of the missing features.



    a) No 4k is non-issue for 99% of customer... It's a strategic decision from apple.

        1) Most people can't benefit of 4K because of the lack of affordable TV.

        2) Most people can't benefit of 4K because H.264 need too much bandwidth.

        3) There is ABSOLUTELY no significant 4K content available.

        4) iTunes does not support 4K yet !

        5) iTunes will ONLY support 4K when H.265 will become mainstream.

        6) H.265 will only be mainstream when HARDWARE decoding will be in most devices.

        7) Apple probably need new deals with movie studio

        8) The cost of implimenting 4K is still high

    b) This will be easily fixed

        1) Apple can push change to siri and itunes/appstore without needing software update

        2) Apple already added ranking and categories to the appstore

    c) The remote app problem is more complicated than people think...

        1) The apple tv trackpad can be touched and clicked, which is impossible on iPhones

        2) Except the iPhone 6S which is owned by very few people (compared to the general iphone user base)

        3) The remote include A LOT of secondary button which would be cumbersome as on-screen button

       4) Then there's the lack of IR on the iPhone which we still dont know what it is used for on the remote

  • Reply 54 of 76

    That's great.  Hopefully Vudu has an app out soon as well.

  • Reply 55 of 76
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wwchris View Post





    Why is that a troll? I have all the same problems with mine. I still love it, but it is buggy as hell and that comes from a sketchy OS, not from the app developers.

     

    Funny how I have the OPPOSITE YOURSELF and I've got 30 years of systems engineering experience; talk for yourself bud, nobody else.

    Whiny Generalisations what differentiates trolls from mere complainers.

  • Reply 56 of 76



    I don't see why Amazon wouldn't put an App up there. It may not offer buying media, just like the App they make for iOS already. But I see no reason why they wouldn't allow playback from your Prime membership. As others pointed out it's on Playstation, Xbox ETC. It makes no sense to not be on the Apple TV which allows for Apps vs. the old model where only select people seemed to get access to the 'home' screen. I suspect Amazon wasn't willing to get involved in that discussion, or maybe Apple was not thrilled to have them there. But now there is an App store for the TVos and I can't see it being in Apple's or Amazon's interest to not have an Amazon streaming App there.

     

    What advantage does Amazon get by not making their customers happy (remember a LOT of people buy through Amazon on their mobile Apple devices). I can imagine them not wanting to split sales of media, but I see no advantage for them to not be on as many devices with their streaming service as possible.

  • Reply 57 of 76



    Yes, I'm really hopeful a VUDU player shows up. I have a ton of media with them as I ran all my DVD's through their program to get credit towards buying a digital HD copy before I Goodwill all my DVDs. I wish iTunes had done a similar thing but I understand it wasn't up to iTunes. The studios wouldn't license that method to Apple's iTunes.

  • Reply 58 of 76
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,040member

    people complaining about ATV 4 hardware quality for Hulu/Netflix app crashes is like complaining BMW car running awful when you put grade 79 Octane gasoline into the tank instead of 91. Get some normal sense, would you?

  • Reply 59 of 76
    stompystompy Posts: 369member
    Please update headline to "Random guy at Amazon claims they're working on an app," thanks.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrLeBlanc View Post

     



    a) No 4k is non-issue for 99% of customer... It's a strategic decision from apple.

    Quote:


        1) Most people can't benefit of 4K because of the lack of affordable TV.



    Wrong.  Did you look at the prices for 4k TV's last weekend?  They have definitely entered the range of 'affordable'.  40% of all TV's sold in North America this holiday season are expected to be 4k/UHD sets.

     

     

    Quote:


        2) Most people can't benefit of 4K because H.264 need too much bandwidth.

     


    That may be true for "most" people right now - if they're streaming from outside of the house - but streaming their own content from within the house works well.  They can also download the content before playback to eliminate any 'buffering' or stuttering delays during playback.  My Cable internet provider has been providing speeds of up to 100Mbps throughout 2015.  3 months ago, I upgraded to 250Mbps and last month I received communication that they will be offering 1Gbps speeds in early 2016!  Granted - "MOST" people will do not have these speeds today - but they are coming and they are coming quickly.  In any case - slower internet speeds do not render 4k useless.  When Apple first started streaming HD content, most people did not have internet connections that could sustain the 6Mbps required for seamless playback.  They already have a solution for that.  Playback does not begin until enough of the program has been downloaded to provide playback without buffering.  That can be used for 4k.

     

    Quote:


    3) There is ABSOLUTELY no significant 4K content available.

     



    That depends on what your definition of "significant" is.  There is plenty available and there is more coming every day.http://www.techradar.com/us/how-to/home-cinema/where-to-watch-4k-tv-shows-and-movies-1299886

     

     

    Quote:



    4) iTunes does not support 4K yet !



     




    So what?  iTunes support will be coming - but the fact that it's not available today is not any kind of show stopper.  YouTube, Amazon and any number of third-party apps have 4k libraries that could serve content.

     

    Quote:


    5) iTunes will ONLY support 4K when H.265 will become mainstream.

     



    You don't know that.  It's probably true - but Apple hasn't announced that so you're really just guessing and presenting your suppositions as facts.  It's not a fact.  But again - who cares? I can live without iTunes.  So can a lot of people.

     

    Quote:


    6) H.265 will only be mainstream when HARDWARE decoding will be in most devices.


    Again.  This is your supposition, your guess - and you're presenting it as fact.  It's not a fact.  I would tend to agree with the statement - but that doesn't make it a fact.  The processor in the Apple TV 4 is capable of decoding 4k video.  Who cares about "mainstream".  I want 4k support in my Apple TV 4 - I don't care about mainstream.  This is an area that I think Apple should be leading in - not following - especially since they have given iPhone users the ability to create their own 4k content.

     

    Quote:


    7) Apple probably need new deals with movie studio

     



    See!  This is a supposition and it's correctly phrased as a supposition.  I agree that they probably need new deals.  So what?  Apple TV is not all about iTunes.  There are plenty of other things a user can do with it that could benefit from 4k support....so enable the 4k and when iTunes is ready - enable 4k in iTunes!

     



    Quote:


        8) The cost of implimenting 4K is still high

     



    I disagree.

     


    Quote:


    b) This will be easily fixed

        1) Apple can push change to siri and itunes/appstore without needing software update

        2) Apple already added ranking and categories to the appstore



    Yes.  It would be easy to fix it.  But as of now, it's still not fixed.  A lot of the things I've complained about would be easy to fix.  How does that help?  It doesn't matter how easy it is to fix if nobody is given the instructions to fix it...!

     





     

    Quote:


    c) The remote app problem is more complicated than people think...

        1) The apple tv trackpad can be touched and clicked, which is impossible on iPhones

        2) Except the iPhone 6S which is owned by very few people (compared to the general iphone user base)

        3) The remote include A LOT of secondary button which would be cumbersome as on-screen button

        4) Then there's the lack of IR on the iPhone which we still dont know what it is used for on the remote

     



    I disagree.  The existing Remote App already functions like a trackpad.  The physical click can easily be translated to a long press - or they can add a physical button to the App.  The hard part would be integrating the Siri capabilities.  I wouldn't care if they were missing.  Just give me basic navigation capabiliites and an on-screen keyboard and I'll be happy.

     

    Your 4k comments would have been true in 2013 and even 2014 - but on the cusp of 2016 - not so much.  Look beyond your own zip code and see what is happening in the rest of the world with respect to 4k/UHD TV sales and internet speeds for home users.  Many of the Apple competitors are putting out sets capable of 4k - some of them at a fraction of the cost of the new Apple TV.

    I'm 100% sure that Apple will improve the AppleTV4 and turn it into a world class device.  I just wish they had gotten a little bit closer to that before they released it.

     

    I'm also aware that my use cases are not the use cases of everybody else - and as someone else pointed out - Apple has a 30-day exchange policy - so I encourage everybody to take advantage of that policy!  Don't take my advice - or anyone elses on this forum.  Pick one up for yourself, give it a try - and if it meets your use cases - enjoy it!  If you like it now - you'll love it in a few months when they start patching some of these holes in the feature set!

Sign In or Register to comment.