Amazon says Instant Video app for tvOS could launch 'within a few weeks'

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PowerMacBandit View Post



    Hopefully it's more reliable then the Netflix and Hulu apps. I have to force quit the apps every other day to get them to load and every few days that doesn't work so I have to restart the AppleTV 4 to make it work. Buggiest Apple product over ever had. I'd try a full restore but without the iPhone remote app reentering the passwords for everything is a huge pain. Especially since frequently the apps don't accept the password the first few times you enter them.



    I've disconnected the 4 and went back to my stone dead reliable 3rd gen.



    I'd still be waiting for Netflix to load on my 3rd Gen by the time I force quit the App on the 4th Gen (if I ever needed to, which I don't).

  • Reply 62 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tenly View Post

     

     

    Your 4k comments would have been true in 2013 and even 2014 - but on the cusp of 2016 - not so much. 


    You're wrong, of course. 4k content is still precisely no where, and of no interest to 99.9% of TV watchers. Thanks though. Keep the myth alive!

  • Reply 63 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by acgmph View Post

     

    Wow... reading some of the comments... I think I'm better off with that Fire stick and ATV3 instead of getting this new ATV4... Is it really that buggy? I watch Netflix and HBO pretty much all the time, if these are unreliable, then I will skip the ATV4.




    If you're reading these comments and coming to that conclusion...stop. These people have no idea what they're talking about.

  • Reply 64 of 76
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tenly View Post

     

     

    Your 4k comments would have been true in 2013 and even 2014 - but on the cusp of 2016 - not so much.  Look beyond your own zip code and see what is happening in the rest of the world with respect to 4k/UHD TV sales and internet speeds for home users.  Many of the Apple competitors are putting out sets capable of 4k - some of them at a fraction of the cost of the new Apple TV.

    I'm 100% sure that Apple will improve the AppleTV4 and turn it into a world class device.  I just wish they had gotten a little bit closer to that before they released it.


     

     

    I agree a lot of Apple competitors are putting out 4K ready devices. The price of the sets are also falling. So, what? Device manufacturers are using the notion of 4K to sell sets just like the TV manufacturers used 3D as the reason to sell sets a few years ago. 3D fizzled out. 4K is yet to be determined.

     

    Plain and simple, 4K is being used to sell devices. For the most part, it is a gimmick. My mom just bought a 4K set from Costco not too long ago. It is a nice set. She paid less than $750. However, none of the networks broadcast in 4K. Netflix, and Amazon prime have little to no content in 4K. So nothing she actually watches on the set is actually 4K. It displays 1040 H.D. fine.

     

    There are reasons for the little to no content. Obtaining additional licensing. Broadband caps.  To me broadband caps are going to be a hard hurdle for 4K to overcome anytime soon [even if licensing and resampling issues are addressed]. What financial incentives do companies like Comcast have to take on the extra weight on their networks? None that I can see considering they have monopolies in most areas they operate.

     

    Apple has simply determined that there is little reason to support 4K currently when it is little more than a gimmick for most people at this point in time. It took the same position when companies were all adopting Blue Ray. Blue Ray licensing was a mess and really negatively effected the user experience of computer hardware. From what I can tell, Blue Ray really hasn't caught on nowhere as near what traditional DVDs did. Apple still doesn't support it.

  • Reply 65 of 76
    The only reason to not get an AppleTV for me was the lack of support for Plex and, to a lesser extent, Amazon Prime Video. I'm over the moon with the Plex client, which works exceedingly well and is very pleasant and easy to use. Looks like I'll be able to retire my other TV boxes and I can recommend the AppleTV to everyone from now on -- even to households without iPhone/iPad.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    cali wrote: »
    Every game console and mobile device has Amazon Prime apps.
    No app on you view box.
  • Reply 67 of 76

    My Apple TV has been about 95% reliable, I consider that a good start.  With the addition of Amazon, the only other thing I would love is local stations.  I have cut the cable at this point and am loving it!

  • Reply 68 of 76
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    tbell wrote: »

    I agree a lot of Apple competitors are putting out 4K ready devices. The price of the sets are also falling. So, what? Device manufacturers are using the notion of 4K to sell sets just like the TV manufacturers used 3D as the reason to sell sets a few years ago. 3D fizzled out. 4K is yet to be determined.

    Plain and simple, 4K is being used to sell devices. For the most part, it is a gimmick. My mom just bought a 4K set from Costco not too long ago. It is a nice set. She paid less than $750. However, none of the networks broadcast in 4K. Netflix, and Amazon prime have little to no content in 4K. So nothing she actually watches on the set is actually 4K. It displays 1040 H.D. fine.

    There are reasons for the little to no content. Obtaining additional licensing. Broadband caps.  To me broadband caps are going to be a hard hurdle for 4K to overcome anytime soon [even if licensing and resampling issues are addressed]. What financial incentives do companies like Comcast have to take on the extra weight on their networks? None that I can see considering they have monopolies in most areas they operate.

    Apple has simply determined that there is little reason to support 4K currently when it is little more than a gimmick for most people at this point in time. It took the same position when companies were all adopting Blue Ray. Blue Ray licensing was a mess and really negatively effected the user experience of computer hardware. From what I can tell, Blue Ray really hasn't caught on nowhere as near what traditional DVDs did. Apple still doesn't support it.

    I'm not at all claiming that 4K is "mainstream" or in use by the majority of people - but it's far from a gimmick. On TV's smaller than 60", it's probably useless - unless you sit very close or the device serves double duty as a computer monitor. Claims that 4K is useless or that 99.9% of people don't care about it are completely ridiculous.

    I do sometimes use my big screen as a computer monitor - and I have 70" 4K TV on which I'd love to be able to play movies I've assembled with 4K content shot with either my DJI phantom pro or my iPhone 6s - both products that Apple sells - and Apple provides the editing (iMovie/Final Cut) software that lets me produce this content - but they dropped the ball when it comes to playback. I don't know about your cable provider but mine has promised every home game this coming season will be broadcast in 4K as well as 1000 hours worth of TV / movie content in 2016 - and like I said earlier - I'm already getting 250Mbps internet speed and speeds 4x that fast are coming soon. Your comments about the incentive to the cable companies for upgrading their network are kind of silly. If logic like that applied, we'd all still be using 1Mbps. They will continue to upgrade their network as they always have.

    Anyhow - there are lots of reasons why 4K is relevant - and relevant now - not to the mainstream - big to enough people to make the market worth addressing. Apple sees that and has provided 4K in many of its other products. It will be coming to Apple TV - and it will be coming soon. I think we'll see it before then end of April as a firmware update to the existing ATV4. It's a gap that needs filling for someone that wants to use "all Apple". Currently people that are using Apple tools to capture and edit 4K content are forced to go to a competitor to stream that content within their home. That's far from ideal and I don't expect that Apple will let that be the case for any longer than they have to. With every iPhone 6s sold, there's one more person who could potentially benefit from end to end 4K capabilities. The people who claim it's not necessary and there is no market for it are for too narrow minded and assume that because they don't have a need for it, none exists.

    It does exist. The competition sees it and I'm sure Apple sees it too and that they're working hard at bringing those capabilities. They're just running a little behind, making sure they get it right. But you can bet that it's coming - and that its coming soon. The notion that they "decided" it wasn't necessary is laughable! They just couldn't get it "right" in time for the release.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    crowleycrowley Posts: 9,119member
    tbell wrote: »

    For what it is worth, Airplay works better on the new Apple TV. 
    This is good to hear, what exactly do you mean when you say "better"? i.e. Quicker to connect, less streaming lag, more reliable connection etc
  • Reply 70 of 76

    I have a 120" screen and have no interest in 4k. I enjoy stories. I appreciate character development. I like great production values. I really don't care about being able to examine the screen close up with a magnifying glass to see into an actor's pores.

     

    The obsessives who whinge about how important it is are I presume the same spec-fetishists who want phone screen resolutions no human eye can discern despite the fact it drains batteries faster. It's juvenile, asinine, fool-making rubbish. Just get a life. And grow up.

  • Reply 71 of 76
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,635member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Nick Edinburgh View Post

     

    I have a 120" screen and have no interest in 4k. I enjoy stories. I appreciate character development. I like great production values. I really don't care about being able to examine the screen close up with a magnifying glass to see into an actor's pores.

     

    The obsessives who whinge about how important it is are I presume the same spec-fetishists who want phone screen resolutions no human eye can discern despite the fact it drains batteries faster. It's juvenile, asinine, fool-making rubbish. Just get a life. And grow up.




    +10

  • Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PowerMacBandit View Post





    Now who's trolling. Just because someone has a problem their a troll or a hater?



    Setup is identical to the AppleTV 3. No change in the way you can use your iPhone to do the initial setup. The time consuming portion is entering passwords for each and every app.



    I wish they could use keychain so we didn't have to reenter passwords at all.



    I was merely pointing out the fact that most people that come to this site to bemoan and/or gripe about ? products are trolls, haters and sometimes shills.

    And no, set up is not exactly like the older ? TV's. Set up was the simplest it could have been. I already explained that in an earlier post.

    As far as signing into some apps- I opened HBOgo and was prompted to go to HBO.com/activate -just like any other TV box available- and enter the code number from the device. I did that on my phone...simple as ever. Same with a few other "cable tied" apps. I did NOT enter a password for netflix, why the hell would i pay for their shit line up of movies and reruns of old tv shows when i have cable? no one is that much of a couch potato nor could they be that stupid could they??

    If entering your netflix name and password is that much trouble to you, I hope you don't ever have to sign for a mortgage. (I doubt you will ever be able to anyway)

    The ? TV4 is the best TV box ? has ever released. I have had ALL of them.

    Thanks ?, you guys rock.

    p.s.  and you have a nice day 

  • Reply 73 of 76
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    I have a 120" screen and have no interest in 4k. I enjoy stories. I appreciate character development. I like great production values. I really don't care about being able to examine the screen close up with a magnifying glass to see into an actor's pores.

    The obsessives who whinge about how important it is are I presume the same spec-fetishists who want phone screen resolutions no human eye can discern despite the fact it drains batteries faster. It's juvenile, asinine, fool-making rubbish. Just get a life. And grow up.
    You're delusional if you don't think that 4K makes a visible difference on a 120" screen at normal viewing distances. You may not care that the image is not as good as it could be - and who knows? Maybe your eyes aren't good enough to see a difference. If your eyes were young and healthy perhaps you could enjoy the visuals in the story too. They are Art in and of themselves and they deserve to be appreciated. Your denial of truth and dismissal of fact coupled with over exaggeration with the absurd comment about taking a magnifying glass to the screen have you seriously encroaching troll-hood.

    You don't want or need 4k. That's fine. Nobody is forcing it on you. Your attack on the people who want it - and have valid use cases for it is childish and uncalled for. Grow up yourself. If you don't care for the visuals just get rid of your TV altogether and get a book.

    Not wanting or needing 4K is a personal choice that you're entitled to make - but spreading misinformation by claiming that it doesn't make a difference and raging against those that do want it indicate a psychological problem. Insecure that others are able to see and appreciate something that you can't? Angry and jealous that your expensive 120" screen will no longer be something that your friends admire because it's "only" 1080p and your neighbor has a 106" 4K screen that blows yours away in terms of picture quality?

    If none of that is true, just shut the hell up. Live and let live. Go on with your 1080p life and learn to peacefully co-exist with the younger, more discerning viewers without all the jealousy and animosity!

    I get the feeling you probably had similar comments about the move from 480i to 720p and again from 720p to 1080p!

    See ya back here in 6 years where you can defend your new 4K acreen against the frivolous, ridiculous and unnecessary 8k screens!
  • Reply 74 of 76
    I'll be happy with just plain old Amazon Music, Amazon Videos and the Amazon (shopping) apps on ATV4
  • Reply 75 of 76
    Vaporware!   :s
Sign In or Register to comment.