Apple debuts Smart Battery Case for iPhone 6s, extends life up to 25 hours

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    if steve jobs was alive....
    We'd have the hockey puck mouse, iPod socks and that original iPad case and keyboard that everyone loved, right?
    nolamacguygordyjbishop1039alexkhan2000
  • Reply 42 of 71
    The negative comments about the design and the looks are weird. 

This is is simply an add-on for when needed. If someone wants to walk around with it strapped to their phone 24/7 then that's their aesthetic choice, isn't it? And if they don't, what's the issue? Given the added features, it seems like a really nice accessory.

If it's not for you, move along. Or at least tell us how you would have designed it. 
    Armchair engineers. Apple always gets dinged for being about form over function yet people are bitching about something they've never used purely over aesthetics.
    nolamacguyjbishop1039alexkhan2000
  • Reply 43 of 71
    The Hunchbattery of Notre Dame.
    Soliradarthekattallest skilbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 44 of 71
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    The negative comments about the design and the looks are weird. 

This is is simply an add-on for when needed. If someone wants to walk around with it strapped to their phone 24/7 then that's their aesthetic choice, isn't it? And if they don't, what's the issue? Given the added features, it seems like a really nice accessory.

If it's not for you, move along. Or at least tell us how you would have designed it. 
    Armchair engineers. Apple always gets dinged for being about form over function yet people are bitching about something they've never used purely over aesthetics.
    Well, it is 2015 and all, and most people who inhabit the Internet seem to only have negative things to say about everything.  Clearly, like many things, you need to see it in person, feel it, and see how it would be like to carry before you can make any kind of (semi) informed opinion.

With Apple selling more to business, they may like a solution with more smarts than current offerings.
    alexkhan2000
  • Reply 45 of 71
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I don't know I'm just guessing. I obviously don't have either to test it out. There obviously is a reason Apple designed it the way they did and I doubt it was aesthetics.

these quotes are going to come back and haunt you
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 46 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    mjtomlin said:
    It's pretty obvious why there's a need for the "bump" - to keep the the edges as thin as possible so that it can continue to be used with current docks. Furthermore, I bet you don't even notice the bump when you're holding it in your hand during normal use. If it had a flat back, the entire thing would be thicker, including the edges and would be much more noticeable.
    Exactly.  This will be a great stocking stuffer gift.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Seems like a smart move for Apple to extend their own line of accessories for what is the most popular product in the planet.  Why allow other companies to take all that business.  First Beats audio accessories, now this.  And I bet they sell these by the thousands along with iPhone sales to airlines, retail, and other businesses adopting mobile technology, where having confidence in all day battery life while using the iPhone to interface with customers (like flight attendants using iPhones to serve passengers) is critical.  
    The iPhone is not the most popular product on the planet.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    The phone looks like it has a tumor. By far the ugliest Apple accessory EVER! If they only designed the phone to be 3mm thicker, it could have housed a thicker battery. Problem solved.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    I like this. Not that I need one. It is just nice to see Apple announce something that we were not reading rumors about,for months, before its release. Apple events have become anti-climatic. Also good news for those people that can never put there phone down. :o
  • Reply 50 of 71
    mac_128 said:
    I don't know I'm just guessing. I obviously don't have either to test it out. There obviously is a reason Apple designed it the way they did and I doubt it was aesthetics.

these quotes are going to come back and haunt you
    How so? 
  • Reply 51 of 71
    This thing is hideous. Ive must of left the building that day. 
    mr o
  • Reply 52 of 71
    Good thing you don't have to buy it.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Good thing you don't have to buy it.
    Pretty much the entire Internet is saying the same thing. Apple centric websites as well. 
  • Reply 54 of 71
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    bilbo63 said:

The design makes no sense.
    Of course it does. It needs a thicker section for the battery but thinner edges are more comfortable to hold. If you pushed the bottom of the phone whilst on a desk, the phone would cantilever towards you. When it reached its full travel you can press the home button. The phone would be facing towards you a lot more than one just laying on a desk.

It's the best design of the battery packs out there, the best integrated into the phone's OS and probably the most comfortable to hold. However, it's the ugliest battery pack case I have seen.

On the other hand, it's nice to see Apple release something with function over form.
    (see mute/orientation button missing from iPad, unnecessarily thin iPhones, new design iMac etc).
  • Reply 55 of 71
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Yikes! That is one ugly case. On the flip side, I think its better than all the third party alternatives. All the third party cases are way too bulky. Apple was obviously going for the thin design so it doesn't feel much different holding the phone with the case on. I guess the reality is, keeping a thin form factor, Apple really had no other option than having a hump where the battery is. 
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Synomenon said:
    Apple basically admitting that 6S battery life sucks. My 6S w/ Samsung processor has worse battery life than my old 6.
    Hi, one post! Leave now and never come back!
  • Reply 57 of 71
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

mr o said:
    ... UGH?!

Why not taking a clue from the pencil recharge concept?:

Have the lightning dock as a portable battery as well. Just plug the phone in the lightning dock and have the phone fully charged in 15 minutes or so. At your hotel you could recharge both your phone and lightning dock while the lightning dock is plugged in.

Stupid idea.
    I'm listening ...
  • Reply 58 of 71
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Thinking of when it's lying on a desk: Rock-a-bye Battery?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 59 of 71
    jfc1138 said:
    jfc1138 said:
    Did any of the reviews mention this? I didn't see it but then again I just skimmed most of the reviews.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Synomenon said:
    Apple basically admitting that 6S battery life sucks. My 6S w/ Samsung processor has worse battery life than my old 6.
    OR that for some maniacal users an accessory power supply might be found to be useful while not burdening the rest of us with some ginormous, heavy brick of a phone just to give a couple of people extra on machine time? A bit like how waterproof diving camera cases isn't Nikon "admitting" anything other than some people need a pressure resistant camera down to a couple of hundred meters while all the rest of us simply don't.

As a thought.