Apple debuts Smart Battery Case for iPhone 6s, extends life up to 25 hours

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

bilbo63 said:
    "If there's one thing that I want on the back of my gorgeous iPhone 6, it's a gigantic square wart". – Said no one ever.  This does seem like an April fools joke.

The design makes no sense. If the iPhone is sitting on it's back on the desk and I press the home button, the entire phone will rock on the massive hump.

With all of the Apple critiques out there claiming that Apple has lost it's way...This design makes me wonder. This is fugly and so un-Apple.
    As an experiment I just laid my iPhone 6 on top of an old iPod touch on a table and the phone didn't rock at all. Not liking the design aesthetically is one thing but perhaps people should actually use one before criticizing functionality?
    Indeed, in the six or seven years I've been using an iPhone I cannot remember even ONCE needing to push the home button while the thing was flat on a table.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 62 of 71
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

jfc1138 said:
    The Hunchbattery of Notre Dame.
    Thinking of when it's lying on a desk: Rock-a-bye Battery?
    jfc1138 said:
    The Hunchbattery of Notre Dame.
    Thinking of when it's lying on a desk: Rock-a-bye Battery?
    Did any of the reviews mention this? I didn't see it but then again I just skimmed most of the reviews.
    Oh it may not even happen given the needed force to trigger the home button, it's location in relation to the flat backed extension which doesn't offer a pivot point in any case, the overall weight of the device etc.

Just it looks like it could rock and the name seemed funny and SS was going for funny so....
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Are we all stuck in a parallel universe? Have the body snatchers invaded and started in Cupertino?  The lame Apple TV, and now this....something is wrong in Cupertino. 
  • Reply 64 of 71
    anomeanome Posts: 1,537member
    anome said:
    An odd decision. And one that might affect Apple's image, not to mention stock price.
    What? How is this going to affect Apple's stock price? It's a silent release of an accessory in December. Nobody's going to care except people that post on sites like this.
    Look at some of the comments here about the appearance, the implied reasoning behind it, and so on. Now imagine these being repeated in the press by the sort of people who like to harp on about anything Apple does that might be considered an error.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    I love my iPhone 6, best phone I have ever had. WHOA that is one hideous design of a case, some please check the health of Jonathon.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member

“Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like. People think it’s this veneer – that the designers are handed this box and told, ‘Make it look good!’ That’s not what we think design is. It’s not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” – Steve Jobs

In this case, design is nothing about what it looks like.

• Reply 67 of 71
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,424moderator
    xzu said:
    I love my iPhone 6, best phone I have ever had. WHOA that is one hideous design of a case, some please check the health of Jonathon.

It's possible that they don't actually want people to buy these unless absolutely necessary. If they made it look better, people might be inclined to buy them in large numbers because it's an official case and gives them more battery life and they don't want people walking around with bulky phones.

Jony Ive has said that he deliberately designed some product prototypes badly to ensure that Steve Jobs picked the one the design team wanted him to pick.

Also, they don't like to add bulk where it isn't needed. Although other designs look more aesthetically pleasing, they bulk up every part of the phone:

The depth around the camera can affect the performance of the flash and cause shadows to be cast over the camera lens.

It's also important to consider the supply chain. It looks like they adapted their normal silicone case, which is more efficient than having a whole new design:

Perhaps just expanding the battery area a bit and smoothing the transitions would have made it look less like it was carrying a backpack:

tallest skil
  • Reply 68 of 71
    ^^^ That second mockup image is a 100% improvement.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    Marvin said:
    Also, they don't like to add bulk where it isn't needed.

As evidenced by the fact that the iPhone’s camera lens sticks out rather than having the entire phone thicker.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    apologies to Igor...or is it Egor?