62 percent of current owners planning to gift Apple Watch to others, poll says

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A sizable 62 percent of adult Americans who already own an Apple Watch are planning to give the device as a gift, according to the results of an Reuters/Ipsos poll published on Tuesday.

In all, about 7 percent of the poll group -- 15,595 people, surveyed online between Oct. 21 and Dec. 4 -- said they were planning to gift an Apple Watch, Reuters observed. That could potentially translate into sales of 16 million units, though such an estimate is based on 2014 census projections, and also excludes teenagers.

The device was already owned by 6 percent of those polled, which lines up with earlier Reuters/Ipsos data suggesting that 6 percent planned to buy it.

Apple has been notoriously quiet about Watch sales, declining to provide exact numbers. Even the revenue generated by the device is lumped under an "Other Products" category in quarterly figures.

The company is nevertheless banking heavily on the appeal of the Watch as a gift. In the past few months it has raced to get the device to more countries and more third-party retailers, and introduced a bevy of new colors and accessories, such as the $79 Magnetic Charging Dock. It's also continuing to pepper TV with commercials, and those third-party retailers have been offering special holiday discounts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Adventitious propagation!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Accurate or not...nice.
    brakken
  • Reply 3 of 19
    How is this possible? Back in April Mark Wilson at Fast Company told us this device was a flop; something everyone was thinking but only he had the guts to say out loud.
    SpamSandwichbrakkencornchip
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I did my gifting with the better half when it first came out.
    Happy wife, happy life.

She has taken quite a shine to it.  Being stainless steel helps in that regard!

brakkenlostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 19
    When I first read the title of this article, I thought it meant that 62% of people who bought Apple Watches planned to gift [the one they bought] to someone else as if they weren't happy with it. :)
  • Reply 6 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    zroger73 said:
    When I first read the title of this article, I thought it meant that 62% of people who bought Apple Watches planned to gift [the one they bought] to someone else as if they weren't happy with it. :)

That’s because you want the watch to fail so you read your own bias into the article.
    sog35
  • Reply 7 of 19
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Most of the media/blogosphere continue to describe it as a "flop" or "sales disappointing".  The only time they take a break is to bash either the iPad sales or new Apple TV.  Such is life in our fast-paced, ADHD, click-bait society.

Thankfully, Apple doesn't run their company like the rest, ignore the media noise, and focus on the future.  By the time generation 3 comes around, this will be a very solid category and many of those who called this a flop will be quietly wearing one.
    brakkencornchip
  • Reply 8 of 19
    sog35 said:
    Include me in that stat.

Got it for $220 black sport ( $100 off at BH Photo and no sales tax)
     Its a great gadget for that price.
    Bought a rose gold model for wife

How did you get it for $220? I think it's $350 - $50 (instant) - $50 Gift Card = $250.00
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 9 of 19
    62% would have surprised me if it wasn't for the fact that when my wife and kids saw me with mine they asked for their own almost immediately.
    cornchipsog35
  • Reply 10 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Holy cow am I reading this right??? That's a lot of sales. Now take into account those who don't have one but are also gifting it.

Next comes the media twisting headline:

"62% of Watch owners are gifting it. 10 reasons why they aren't hanging onto it."
  • Reply 11 of 19
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    Include me in that stat.

Got it for $220 black sport ( $100 off at BH Photo and no sales tax)
     Its a great gadget for that price.
    Bought a rose gold model for wife

I use it to control my podcast while I drive.
    Make song requests with Apple Music while I drive.
    Tract stock prices.
    Quick check weather and sports scores.
    Make sure I get my 30 min of exercise and stand each hour.
    Use as a remote trigger for taking pictures.

I find new uses for it every day.

Its also great to use as a remote when I'm doing work at home and don't want to reach for my phone.  
    3 3 more months, AW2 is announced. I'll wait.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Apple has been notoriously quiet about Watch sales, declining to provide exact numbers. Even the revenue generated by the device is lumped under an "Other Products" category in quarterly figures.

I'm hoping that when Apple decides the time is right to disclose the watch numbers it causes a seismic shift under Wall street and only people in aircraft can see the debris at the bottom of the hole. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 19
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    The Apple Watch is the best gift idea for 2015, bar none. I've worn mine every day since July, and appreciate not just its functions, but its beauty.
    Despite the bloviating naysayers, Apple's done it again.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 14 of 19
    The Apple Watch is nice. The only critic I have is that it has too many pre-installed apps that can't be removed to clear up the home screen.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    bluefire1 said:
    The Apple Watch is the best gift idea for 2015, bar none. I've worn mine every day since July, and appreciate not just its functions, but its beauty.
    Despite the bloviating naysayers, Apple's done it again.
    especially if Apple slash $50. $299 for entry model. Yeah, with that, department stores will add another $50 more for sure. let say: $249 for 38' Sport. This will kill the fucking Fibit or Pebble cheap ends.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 16 of 19
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    brucemc said:
    Most of the media/blogosphere continue to describe it as a "flop" or "sales disappointing".  The only time they take a break is to bash either the iPad sales or new Apple TV.  Such is life in our fast-paced, ADHD, click-bait society.

Thankfully, Apple doesn't run their company like the rest, ignore the media noise, and focus on the future.  By the time generation 3 comes around, this will be a very solid category and many of those who called this a flop will be quietly wearing one.
    By version 3, it will sell around 35M a year... about 16B in revenues, 4B in net profit... Yep... Flop. That's 4B more a year to the big pile O money, after only 2 years running. Not only that, this would embed these people deeped into the Apple ecosystem, entrenching those high value users away from Android... That will suck hard for all other phone makers (and even watch makers).
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Apple Pay alone is worth the price. Click click done.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Half as thick, half the weight, a much more accurate heart monitor and it's own onboard radios ... then I'll buy it. 

Either that or it needs to sell for $90 instead of $1,000.
    edited December 2015