Poll: What is your favorite iOS news app?

Posted:
in General Discussion
AppleInsider is trying to find the best news app for iOS. Vote for your favorite app and we'll tell you the winner next week.

Last week we revealed your favorite note taking app for iOS. This week we're asking you to vote for your favorite news app for iOS. You nominated these apps on our Twitter and Facebook pages. Here are your top seven. You can vote at the bottom of this article. If you have a favorite that didn't make the list, you can add it to the poll with a Here are the nominees:

Twitter

Many people, like myself, use Twitter as their main news reader. Depending on which accounts you follow, you can get the latest, breaking news delivered right to your Twitter feed.

SmartNews

SmartNews claims you can get all your news "in one minute." They analyze millions of articles each day and bring you the best of the best.

Notify by Facebook

Notify is built primarily for your lock-screen, drawing your attention to some of the biggest stories of the day. You can set which "stations" to follow, such as "sports, movies, news, food, celebrities" and more.

Google News

Google News will most likely win the award for "most amount of publications scoured," coming in at 65,000. Like most of these apps, it comes with a companion Apple Watch app. There are also 60 country-specific editions to keep your news personalized.

Flipboard

Flipboard attempts to give you more of a magazine feel. With millions of active users, Flipboard makes it easy for you to get started. Users select a few topics and Flipboard creates a personalized magazine.

Breaking News

Breaking News, created by NBC News, helps users discover news important to them. Users receive alerts for breaking news within their area. Their editors search social media and the web for you, claiming to bring you news faster than other apps.

Apple News

This wouldn't be much of a list without the recently-released Apple News app that comes with iOS 9. It looks like Apple took many design cues from Flipboard, using a similar magazine-style layout. Apple News claims to learn your news preferences as you read and "heart" articles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Zite. Flipboard is absolutely horrendous.
    propodthepixeldoc
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Unfortunately the ones on this list that I have tried do not allow me to arrange the feeds into categories. I don't really enjoy browsing feeds in a haphazard way. I like to be able to prioritize them so I can read what's important now and what's more fun later. Maybe that's old school but I've not been shown a better way to do it.
    mike1noivad
  • Reply 3 of 30
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

I do use Flipboard occasionally (mainly to watch some Twitter feeds from people who do not post a lot, like some artists).

For everything else I still use a mix of RSS Reader (Mr. Reader on the iPad, Unread on the iPhone and ReadKit on the Mac all connected to Feedly). Long-form articles and stuff I want to keep or read later goes into Instapaper (using the Instapaper app on iOS and, again, ReadKit on the Mac).
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Safari.

I hate all news gathering apps. They're less flexible and open versus the web.
    Prof_Peabodynatehansonnoivad
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Safari.

I agree.  Not having "Safari" as an option is just ridiculous.  Also, most of these news apps are not really workable for non-Americans. 
    edited December 2015 noivad
  • Reply 6 of 30
    sog35 said:
    What kind of poll is this?
    There is no where to vote.
    Perhaps it's not showing up on your browser? There have been quite a few votes, so it appears to be working for most.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    Not many choices here considering how many news apps are out there. Abstain…
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Newsblur. It's awesome.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Safari.

Which is why I wrote in Safari!    

Honeslty though how are some of those apps even considered "news" apps?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    I "make" an app using save page to home screen on google news. I find that the actual app is cluttered and that the webpage suits me just fine
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Feedly..
    thepixeldoc
  • Reply 12 of 30
    thereal said:
    That's for sure. Tried to get into it after the site merge 
    but can't handle flipping around. Horrendous is the word. 
  • Reply 13 of 30

kimk69 said:
    thereal said:
    That's for sure. Tried to get into it after the zite merge 
    but can't handle flipping around. Horrendous is the word. 

• Reply 14 of 30
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I prefer Yahoo News and Google News.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Apple News of the ones listed. Unfair advantage with OS integration, but I do like it. But my REAL choice is Other: Feedly and good old RSS.
    thepixeldoc
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Apple News has a serious problem with varying font sizes--some too small, some too large, some just right.  A Reader View option would help a lot.  It also needs a way to block specific sites--Fox "News", for instance.
    applepieguymontrosemacs
  • Reply 17 of 30
    bonobob said:
    Apple News has a serious problem with varying font sizes--some too small, some too large, some just right.  A Reader View option would help a lot.  It also needs a way to block specific sites--Fox "News", for instance.
    Thanks for being the first to take it in a political directon when completely unnecessary.

There's ALWAYS one in the crowd.  :/
    thepixeldoc
  • Reply 18 of 30
    ilike  news the best. 

When setting up  news I made sure NOT to select Faux News as a source for stories and haven't seen any of their ridiculously slanted shit in my list of news articles. 
    BTW- theres more than "one in the crowd" I can assure you

montrosemacs
  • Reply 19 of 30
    I rarely, if ever, use the iOS news app. One of those marginal, fairly pointless additions to Apple's ecosystem. 

I skim nytimes.com, wsj.com, economist.com, and guardiannews.com. Check news.google.com a couple of times a day to make sure I am not missing some other major sites. And AppleInsider.com for my Apple news. That's about it. 
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 20 of 30
    I really, really miss Pulse from Alfonso Labs.

An apple award winning app, first shown off by Stve Jobs himself, it was bought by LinkedIn and has been badly handled by them ever since. Yet it still was better than anything currently out there.

It will be switched off completely by LinkedIn at the end of the year for people who still have it on their device:(

IMO the efficiency of original interface has yet to be bettered by any news/rss reader app.

The stacked ribbons design was in the 'image/text vs number of posts' sweetspot.

It gave me glanceable overview of whats new across my favourite blogs,
    allowed me to go deeper with ease. it really made me feel i was up to date, while enabling me to discover new things without being distracted by the interface.

It was so good the BBC NEWS decided to clone it hook line and sinker, and it worked great there too. 

They have since abandoned the layout in favour of one that allows them to push more of their content, i.e. costing you more time to stay current. (People went hysterical in the comment sections there, too)

If one of the News Readers would create a front end like it, they could make a killing.

Anyone listening?