MWNY: New Enclosures, PC iPod

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    [quote]Originally posted by WishIwasBlack:

<strong>I think MOSR totally discredits their own report when they speak of an update to the iMac at MWNY . Apple has a rediculous amount of inventory of iMacs that they need to get rid of and it would be the absolute dumbest move to introduce models when they are trying to clear this inventory. I see a price drop as more likely than an update.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Remember that it?s not APPLE that is overstocked with iMacs, it's Dealers... This is because Apple has been offering all of them a $100 incentive on all iMac Models until the end of this month, so they all stocked up...

Sounds to me that this suggests that an update is very likely (apple getting rid of inventory, and screwing dealers is somewhat common before an update)

• Reply 22 of 55
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Take a look at this:

[Song and Dance] One (Check that . . . Two) of these things are not like the other. Two of these things are just not the same. [/Song and Dance]
  • Reply 23 of 55
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    [quote]Originally posted by bauman:

<strong>Take a look at this:

[edited image out]

[Song and Dance] One (Check that . . . Two) of these things are not like the other. Two of these things are just not the same. [/Song and Dance]</strong><hr></blockquote>

can't wait to see "New" next to the PM

do we have a countdown thread yet? (oh crap, I'm getting to excited again)
  • Reply 24 of 55
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    [quote]Originally posted by bauman:

<strong>[Song and Dance] One (Check that . . . Two) of these things are not like the other. Two of these things are just not the same. [/Song and Dance]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, the iMac and Powerbook need to be cheaper!

Screed ...throwing grenades, causing trouble

P.S.

Feh, there should be a "Mostly New & Overstocked" graphic by the iMac.

[ 06-29-2002: Message edited by: sCreeD ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 55
    madmacsmadmacs Posts: 7member
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Pretty but yeesh! I'd be afraid to cut myself on any of the edges.

If no G5 until 2003, wouldn't a new case now steal the G5's thunder?

Or the reverse of that would be: A new case might spur the purchase of bumped G4s until the debut of the G5

Hm...

Screed

[ 06-30-2002: Message edited by: sCreeD ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 55
    madmacsmadmacs Posts: 7member
    I think that the G5 will be introduced with something like this as a case.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    [quote]Originally posted by sCreeD:

<strong>If no G5 until 2003, wouldn't a new case now steal the G5's thunder?

Or the reverse of that would be: A new case might spur the purchase of bumped G4s until the debut of the G5

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The El Capitan case was introduced with the B&W G3's at MWSF 1999. When the G4's were introduced some months later, only the color was changed (from Blue / White (Semitransparent) to Gray / Clear).

[ 06-30-2002: Message edited by: GSpotter ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 55
    bsharpbsharp Posts: 64member
    Why does everyone think the Powermac needs to be a tower? Couldn't Apple create a new, cool case to hold the PM?

Why not a larger cube or a cylinder or a globe (2 imac bases put together) or a ...?

No insider info - I just don't want another big noisy rectangle sitting on my floor beneath my desk.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    [quote]Originally posted by bsharp:

<strong>Why does everyone think the Powermac needs to be a tower? Couldn't Apple create a new, cool case to hold the PM?

Why not a larger cube or a cylinder or a globe (2 imac bases put together) or a ...?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Pyramid.

The word you're looking for is PYRAMID.

--

Several Bothans woke up to bring you this information.

[ 06-30-2002: Message edited by: Capt. Obvious ]</p>
  • Reply 31 of 55
    jet powersjet powers Posts: 288member
    I think we're getting colored stuff! Reds, greens, blues, etc.

ting5
  • Reply 32 of 55
    [quote]Originally posted by Capt. Obvious:

<strong>

Pyramid.

The word you're looking for is PYRAMID.

[quote]Originally posted by Yet Another Registration:

<strong>I think we're getting colored stuff! Reds, greens, blues, etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Put it together and I think the code name for the new PowerMac will be "Prism"
  • Reply 33 of 55
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    I would like the new Powermac to be enlarged/remodelled Cube in style...big enough to cope with standard graphic cards and upgradeable components...

White...clear plastics...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 34 of 55
    doodpoddoodpod Posts: 6member
    Who knows? Maybe the iMac will get a speed/feature bump. If it does, yay; I still won't buy one. As for the new Powermacs, I really don't know what they could do to make the cases any better than what they have right now. Remember, case design is what helps sell consumer-level machines; most professionals don't buy a new computer because it looks cool, but because it helps them accomplish tasks more efficiently. It's for this reason that I'm still working on an old B&W with a G4 chip in it (though an AGP machine might be nice in the near future).

The only real space for improvement I can see with the current case design is the machines' lack of two 5.25" removeable media bays. It would be so nice to be able to have one reader drive, and one writer; like the good old days of beige towers. Yearning for yesteryear; makes me get all misty . . .
  • Reply 35 of 55
    [quote]Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon:

<strong>I would like the new Powermac to be enlarged/remodelled Cube in style...big enough to cope with standard graphic cards and upgradeable components...

White...clear plastics...

Lemon Bon Bon</strong><hr></blockquote>

Way back, perhaps before the Great AI Outage, didn't Dorsal mention a white enclosure. A cross between the Quicksilver case and the Cube. I thought I heard that the system components slide out, drawer-style, out the back.

Screed ...Or did I dream that??
  • Reply 36 of 55
    [quote]Originally posted by DoodPod:

<strong>Remember, case design is what helps sell consumer-level machines; most professionals don't buy a new computer because it looks cool, but because it helps them accomplish tasks more efficiently.

Yeah except that plenty of "consumers" buy PowerMacs instead of iMacs. The Cube came close to solving this problem but Apple didn't get it. Instead of making it fit in between the iMac and the PowerMac they turned it into some kind of executive/niche product like the TAM.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>

dreams aren't that bad, you know</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry if I implied they were bad ... they aren't and I'm "all for dream'n". The old saying kinda goes, 'necessity is the mother of invention', but I think, IMO, that "dream'n' is the mother of invention (in alot of cases).
  • Reply 38 of 55
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    [quote]Originally posted by apple.otaku:

<strong>

Yeah except that plenty of "consumers" buy PowerMacs instead of iMacs. The Cube came close to solving this problem but Apple didn't get it. Instead of making it fit in between the iMac and the PowerMac they turned it into some kind of executive/niche product like the TAM.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I'm no executive, but I've got 2 cubes, one for its silence and the 15" LCD, and the other for the fun of it with a Cinema display maxed out. Of course, I would love to get a board that would let me dispense with one of the cubes, but keep the 2 displays active!
  • Reply 39 of 55
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    The new powerMac enclosure will borrow some elements from the Xserve. e.g. the case material, the Firewire port in the front.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Hey there was a rumor a while back (before the G3 in the current case style came out) that Apple was going to use a Royal Blue case for its pro towers.

One of the funny pages would only say the speaker is white. Maybe the dark blue case has finally some to pass with a white speaker and accents for the "Nautica" look. Will Macophiles all be wearing silly Sailor suits after MWNY? Hmmm???

(BTW: the answer is no, I think)