Disney CEO & Apple board member Bob Iger calls Apple TV best television interface ever

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jfanning said:

So to use your $300 steaming device, you need to purchase a $400 remote?
    Why the F are you using an TV if you do not have an iPhone/ iPod/ iPad? You should have bought a Fire TV/ Chromecast or something like that.

I'm sorry, the shop I purchased it from didn't stipulate that you must own an iPhone/ipod/ipad to use the device, and apart from the crappy text input I haven't had that limitation forced upon me
  • Reply 42 of 47
    jfanning said:
    Why the F are you using an TV if you do not have an iPhone/ iPod/ iPad? You should have bought a Fire TV/ Chromecast or something like that.

I'm sorry, the shop I purchased it from didn't stipulate that you must own an iPhone/ipod/ipad to use the device, and apart from the crappy text input I haven't had that limitation forced upon me
    Of course the shop you purchased it from didn't stipulate that you must own an iPhone/ iPod/ iPad to use the device, but why the F are you using an TV if you do not have an iPhone/ iPod/ iPad?
  • Reply 43 of 47
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    hmlongco said:

4) Netflix issue, but I have a hundred or so movies in "My List" which it now only lets me browse in a single row four or five titles at a time.... painful.
    I don't think the password thing was that painful but I totally agree with your Netflix comment. I truly think it is worse. This long My List is painful and almost useless. Also, what happened to the ability to see related shows? I'd like to see a list of similar movies to a movie I want to watch. It used to be there. Now you get a couple of suggestions after watching a video. Is this the case with Netflix on other players?
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 44 of 47
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jfanning said:
    Of course the shop you purchased it from didn't stipulate that you must own an iPhone/ iPod/ iPad to use the device, but why the F are you using an TV if you do not have an iPhone/ iPod/ iPad?
    I don't understand your response at all. Are you saying that Apple doesn't make compelling products for people who don't already own a flagship product like an iPhone, iPod, iPad or Mac (which I don't believe can control an TV)? Apple has giant billboards trumpeting TV everywhere right now. Just last week I had a friend based in Android and PCs, ask me what would be the best streaming box for his family to help cut his cable costs, and he was already looking at the TV.

The TV can easily be a halo product for Apple to draw people into their ecosystem. Can you imagine how many converts Apple is going to get when they release their $30 entertainment packages and a la cartel services? Making a bad first impression with any such device will only hurt Apple, and by all accounts they released the TV half-baked. And while the TV doesn't REQUIRE an iOS device to use it, it's sort of unfortunate that the sales clerk didn't know, or care enough to demonstrate all the amazing ways a customer can use the TV. I remember a time when I would go into a knowledgeable electronics store to buy a home entertainment receiver, and the salesperson showed me the cool universal remotes I could buy to go with it, and even if I didn't buy one then, I felt better about my purchase knowing about its versatility. For jfanning's salesperson that was a missed sales and customer satisfaction opportunity.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jfanning said:
    You can use them for streaming video/audio from a computer etc to your home entertainment center, especially files that are locked down with Apples DRM
  • Reply 46 of 47
    mac_128 said:
    I don't understand your response at all. Are you saying that Apple doesn't make compelling products for people who don't already own a flagship product like an iPhone, iPod, iPad or Mac (which I don't believe can control an TV)? Apple has giant billboards trumpeting TV everywhere right now. Just last week I had a friend based in Android and PCs, ask me what would be the best streaming box for his family to help cut his cable costs, and he was already looking at the TV.

The TV can easily be a halo product for Apple to draw people into their ecosystem. Can you imagine how many converts Apple is going to get when they release their $30 entertainment packages and a la cartel services? Making a bad first impression with any such device will only hurt Apple, and by all accounts they released the TV half-baked. And while the TV doesn't REQUIRE an iOS device to use it, it's sort of unfortunate that the sales clerk didn't know, or care enough to demonstrate all the amazing ways a customer can use the TV. I remember a time when I would go into a knowledgeable electronics store to buy a home entertainment receiver, and the salesperson showed me the cool universal remotes I could buy to go with it, and even if I didn't buy one then, I felt better about my purchase knowing about its versatility. For jfanning's salesperson that was a missed sales and customer satisfaction opportunity.

There's a valid argument to be made about purchasing an TV as your first/ only Apple product. However, my response was less to do with the validity of this and more to do with a poster who has a history of dissing Apple products.
    All your points are valid.