Apple TV universal search integration expands to PBS and PBS Kids, suggests API now open

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    I loved that there were about 5 things to watch when I downloaded the PBS app.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    patsu said:
    Soli said:
    1) How is that any different than getting Siri to work with my local Music library since 2011?

2) What does the quality and origin of the media have to do with Siri being able to analyze metadata of written text in a specialized field, like movie title or episode? Apple could allow for their local analysis to let the speaker search for HD v SD, as that is in both the metadata (and even the filename on the drive), but I don't see the media quality as being a concern when they don't even have access to said media.

3) A 3rd-party will do exactly what Apple would do—and has been doing with the aforementioned local music library—by using a file of the metadata with Siri API which still all gets analyses by Apple's Siri servers.
    I have already answered the 3rd party search questions above. Don't assume your local videos have pristine data. Your file names are also unreliable in the general case. It's typically a last resort. My sense is we will probably have to wait for 3rd party implementations and complain to them instead when they make the wrong assumptions.

The developers will have ample opportunities to support their users here.

Siri servers only deal with voice recognition and may be in the future context-aware conversation. The search is actually performed by specialized servers. That has been how it works since day one. Since 2011, Siri has propagated to many more countries and accents. Apple is said to be working on localizing media title and talent names for Siri as we speak. Accuracy has also improved dramatically. Plus gained 'Hey Siri' support. Now it has some contextual support with the use of 'this', and more in depth integration with the search engines and applications (e.g., Apple Music). 

General local media search is simply one of these search engine 'plug-ins'.
    great points. one of the main reasons non English ATV Siri support was not included at launch is due to localization and accents. Apple has to teach Siri all those movies, actors, and directors in all those languages. and people are whining or expecting (or supposedly returning it over the lack of) random local media support? riiight. priorities. teaching it iTunes content is hard enough. expecting it to learn your MKV library just ain't gonna happen...not for a while anyway. 
  • Reply 43 of 49
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Soli said:
    your iTunes purchases are visible in Apple TV. 

what people here are demanding (demanding!) is siri search of all their non-iTunes content, the majority of which is likely pirated MKVs, etc (including ripped DVDs which is also not a legal use case, sorry). while a useful feature, that is not a mainstream use case. techies on forums like these are not mainstream. people like my dad who gets stuff via iTunes or Netflix are mainstream. that's the primary use case. perhaps Apple will get to the fringe cases, perhaps not. sounds to me like using a third party server like Plex is your most likely solution. 
    I returned by unopened 4th gen Apple TV after ordering as soon as it went on sale, because that was not a feature, it would the primary feature (and because I didn't want to setup a new device with usernames and complex passwords using the Siri Remote.
    ah, another one of those guys who supposedly returned their supposed new Apple TV because they didn't want to take 5 minutes to grok accelerated swipe and input their three accounts then move on with their lives. right. did you go back and re-buy your supposed return once the app was updated a couple weeks later? cool story bro. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 44 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    friedmud said:
    I was specifically replying about searching Netflix with Siri... that works.  Never said anything about the rest of it (I honestly don't know because I don't have a "local library" at all).
    You have no music on an iPhone and have never once used it to call upon an artist, album, or song?
  • Reply 45 of 49

the fact that normal people have no idea what Home Sharing even is. 
    If you honestly think that Home Sharing is an obscure feature for iTunes users, you need to reconsider your knowledge of Apple.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    ah, another one of those guys who supposedly returned their supposed new Apple TV because they didn't want to take 5 minutes to grok accelerated swipe and input their three accounts then move on with their lives. right. did you go back and re-buy your supposed return once the app was updated a couple weeks later? cool story bro. 
    1) And you know I'm lying, how? So despite my comment on the day of the pre-order where I mention which capacity model I would need, and my full intent for buying it, months latter I must be a liar for keeping my G3 Apple TV as the G4 offers me zero benefit with a Siri-capable remote? That's one hell of a long story¡

2) How exactly did you get 3 accounts? Can you guess how many iCloud accounts I have logged into my G3 Apple TV right now?
  • Reply 47 of 49
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    bdkennedy said:
    I loved that there were about 5 things to watch when I downloaded the PBS app.
    Probably your preferences or location ? I can see a lot of shows on it now. Too many to count.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 48 of 49
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    lkrupp said:
    I'm routinely amazed how little some of you understand about Apple and fringe cases. it's not because they don't want you to have it. it's because few people do it (techies) and it's hard to do it right. you're a fringe cases. most Apple income comes from the mainstream use cases. 

Could not agree more. “All I care about is searching local content” but no clue if this is possible, how hard it would be to implement, what compromises would have to be dealt with. That’s the trouble with those who “think” they are techies. “I want this...!” and it should magically happen just because. I giggle at those commenters who start their rants with, “It would be a simple matter for Apple to... (insert desired feature or function).” Right here in this thread we have pontificating about metadata this and API that. Babbling nonsense from anonymous posters who only think they understand hardware and software engineering. I place my trust in Apple’s engineers more than some egomaniac telling me what a genius they are while hidden behind Harry Potter’s invisibility cloak. 
    The Siri API will allow 3RD Party Apple TV apps to make their media data available for Siri search just like it is on iOS 9. So while it might not work with iTunes home share, you could download an apple TV like infuse which can scan pretty much any network share (and play any media file), it will grab & format meta data for the media you have on the share and use the Siri API to share it with Siri
  • Reply 49 of 49
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    All good... But when will apple allow me to organize my apps and content and consolidate favorites and have notification of availability ? 
    When  will i be able to know that a favorite show has a new episode availible or a certain movie is availible for rent or watching on certain channal without me having to dig into every app i have installed  or running a fresh Siri query every single time .
    Apple TVOS core orginizationsl features are NONEXISTENT!   mind boggling !
    my Stupid Jurassic TimeWarner  dvr has much Stronger capabilities in this area than Apple Tv in its present state 

its inexcusable!