Wi-Fi Alliance vets 802.11ah 'HaLow' standard with almost double current range

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Isn't 900 MHz seriously prone to interference from other devices - like cordless phones?
  • Reply 42 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    welshdog said:
    Isn't 900 MHz seriously prone to interference from other devices - like cordless phones?
    1) Aren't home phones dying off rather quickly? I think we need to consider this as technology Millenials will be using.

2) I seem to recall many other devices, like a microwave, causing interference at that frequency.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 43 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    welshdog said:
    Do cordless phones still use those frequencies? I thought they moved to 2.4, and 5.8 GHz. 

Edit: it seems that many still use 900 MHz to transmit from phone to base to conserve energy. 
  • Reply 44 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I’m still confused why they made the AirPort Extreme into an Apple TV shape. What was wrong with the “hey, it’s plugged into the wall AND it’s a router!” concept? That was great, and I never even wanted one or had any use for it. Honestly, it feels like it was only done to save money on production costs. “We have this Apple TV mold already; let’s just make more of them.”
  • Reply 45 of 45
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    welshdog said:
    Do cordless phones still use those frequencies? I thought they moved to 2.4, and 5.8 GHz. 

Edit: it seems that many still use 900 MHz to transmit from phone to base to conserve energy. 
    Thanks for doing the research I should have done.  Either way, I think we can assume this issues has been considered by the 'HaLow' engineers.