Apple Pencil's 'incredible' design packs 15 semiconductors into small space

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Or one of the many, many grips already sold for ... pencils and pens. 
    I’ve never understood the point of those grips. Just get some putty and wrap it around. That would conform perfectly to YOUR hand.

Also my quotes still refuse to truncate to only the person I’m quoting.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    I’ve never understood the point of those grips. Just get some putty and wrap it around. That would conform perfectly to YOUR hand.

Also my quotes still refuse to truncate to only the person I’m quoting.
    I don't think any serious artist I've ever met (including myself) uses those things either.  I was just pointing out that they are there.  
    tallest skilicoco3
  • Reply 23 of 39
    ... and I hate how it charges.
    You can charge it any way you want though, no?  

Is there not a female to male adapter in the box?  
    And therefore can you not use literally any lightning cable, or any lighting port on any iOS device to charge it?  

I don't have one, but that's what I've heard. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 24 of 39
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,943member
    OMG can't wait till I can afford to get this combo. Insane.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    vrfvrf Posts: 13member

And therefore can you not use literally any lightning cable, or any lighting port on any iOS device to charge it?  

Yes, true, of course. Just another thing to carry around, though.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    vrf said:

I would expect (if it were me) I would keep an appropriate charging adapter-cable plugged in at my desk, where I would dock the pencil to charge it. Charging it on the iPad would be on-the-go (and only when really needed) Specs say 15 seconds charge for 30 min use. I figure I could manage an iPad to pencil docking for a couple minutes, when needed, without too much bother.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 27 of 39
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    sflocal said:
    I would think that could be solved by just fitting a rubber tube one the pencil right?  Like an automotive fuel line hose, or surgical tubing, etc.. ?

It's the same size isn't it?

Probably would work.

Still…

After spending nearly $1500 on the iPad Pro, Pencil & Keyboard Cover I'm going to wait for purpose-built Apple Pencil accessories.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Some wishes and questions, now that I have the Pencil:

1. Ability to annotate PDFs with my Pencil. I tried the new "Markup and Save" option on a PDF email attachment, but the quality was like any passive stylus. It doesn't need something of the calibre of the Pencil.

2. Microsoft needs to get off its butt and give us that "Ink" option they demo'd with the iPad Pro. It isn't there on the Office apps with a valid Office 365 subscription. Apparently, the official blog claims that support should come this month.

3. Can I markup Pages documents? How useful is it with Numbers?

I've just had the Pencil for a day now and am just playing around with it. I am more interested in the marking up and correcting aspects of the Pencil, rather than the drawing aspects.
    cornchip
  • Reply 29 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    icoco3 said:
    For those who actually have one...how do you find the weight and balance of the pencil?
    Weight is surprisingly light and the balance is very nice. My problem is that the palm rejection in apps other than Apple's own Notes continues to be spotty. I get more errors using the Pencil than I used to get just using my finger...so I really haven't even used it more than a couple of hours.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    i belive the title should read "Apple Pencil's 'incredible' design packs 15 semiconductor devices into small space"

since some quick math tells me that you can fit about 32000 semiconductors on a 1mm dia pinhead..
  • Reply 31 of 39

My Initial fear that the Apple Pencil would just be an other me too Pencil I was very satisfied when I did my first few sketches. Congratulations! It is by far better than other similar devices I have used. My points for improvment? a) the grip as others have alrready written and b) an eraser opposite to the point. Although I doubt that knowing the huge amount of electronics already in the Pencil this would be feasible at all.

• Reply 32 of 39
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    vrf said:

Not really a big deal. I just leave that adapter installed on the end of the pencil. Nothing to forget. It sticks on there tightly, so I'm not worried about losing it.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    icoco3 said:
    For those who actually have one...how do you find the weight and balance of the pencil?
    It is truly remarkable. The weight and balance are perfect. There is zero latency. The battery lasts forever. Charges fast. Looks gorgeous too. (Btw, Keynote and PPT -- as well as Notes -- enable you to write on the screen in presentation mode, as do many PDF apps. This is just fantastic for my needs).

I wish, however: (i) It offered a better grip, e.g., a matte surface around where one holds it; it keeps slipping constantly. (ii) There was a place/way to store it (e.g., a magnet that would attach somewhere on the iPad or the Keyboard; even a little clip so as to be able to put it in one's pocket; right now, the only option seems to be to look like a dweeb and carry it in its box).
  • Reply 34 of 39

Yes, that's correct. People whining about the charging options are doing just that: whining.
  • Reply 35 of 39

1. Ability to annotate PDFs with my Pencil. I tried the new "Markup and Save" option on a PDF email attachment, but the quality was like any passive stylus. It doesn't need something of the calibre of the Pencil.

2. Microsoft needs to get off its butt and give us that "Ink" option they demo'd with the iPad Pro. It isn't there on the Office apps with a valid Office 365 subscription. Apparently, the official blog claims that support should come this month.

I've just had the Pencil for a day now and am just playing around with it. I am more interested in the marking up and correcting aspects of the Pencil, rather than the drawing aspects.
    Re. 1 and 2: You can annotate a PDF file with neu.Notes in CloudReaders, for example; The pen works well with PPT in presentation mode (although there is a slight latency), as it does with KN (works brilliantly, with no latency at all; however, a bit weirdly, the option to be able to use the Pencil shows up only when the iPad is connected to an external display device/projector).

Re. 3, Pages and Numbers don't seem to offer the markup option yet, nor does Word or Excel.
    edited January 2016 bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 36 of 39

icoco3 said:
    Weight is surprisingly light and the balance is very nice. My problem is that the palm rejection in apps other than Apple's own Notes continues to be spotty. I get more errors using the Pencil than I used to get just using my finger...so I really haven't even used it more than a couple of hours.
    Yes, palm rejection is 'spotty' (excellent pun!). Especially in PPT (it's not too bad in Notes or KN).
  • Reply 37 of 39
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    bobschlob said:
    vrf said:
    I would expect (if it were me) I would keep an appropriate charging adapter-cable plugged in at my desk, where I would dock the pencil to charge it. Charging it on the iPad would be on-the-go (and only when really needed) Specs say 15 seconds charge for 30 min use. I figure I could manage an iPad to pencil docking for a couple minutes, when needed, without too much bother.
    Just get a cheap battery pack used to recharge phones on the go.  That could be a god alternative.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    icoco3 said:
    It is truly remarkable. The weight and balance are perfect. There is zero latency. The battery lasts forever. Charges fast. Looks gorgeous too. (Btw, Keynote and PPT -- as well as Notes -- enable you to write on the screen in presentation mode, as do many PDF apps. This is just fantastic for my needs).

I wish, however: (i) It offered a better grip, e.g., a matte surface around where one holds it; it keeps slipping constantly. (ii) There was a place/way to store it (e.g., a magnet that would attach somewhere on the iPad or the Keyboard; even a little clip so as to be able to put it in one's pocket; right now, the only option seems to be to look like a dweeb and carry it in its box).
    (i) Staples and buy one
    (ii) A feature case makers should include.  They are missing a big opportunity if they don't.  I checked the new Otterbox case and in the cover, there is a place to store it.  http://www.otterbox.com/en-us/ipad-pro/defender-series-case/apl2-ipad-pro.html?dwvar_apl2-ipad-pro_color=20#start=1

• Reply 39 of 39

Re. 1 and 2: You can annotate a PDF file with neu.Notes in CloudReaders, for example; The pen works well with PPT in presentation mode (although there is a slight latency), as it does with KN (works brilliantly, with no latency at all; however, a bit weirdly, the option to be able to use the Pencil shows up only when the iPad is connected to an external display device/projector).

Re. 3, Pages and Numbers don't seem to offer the markup option yet, nor does Word or Excel.
    Thanks!