RBC cuts Apple target to $130, expects iPhone sales 'noise' to last through March quarter

Posted:
in AAPL Investors
RBC Capital Markets on Thursday became the latest investment firm to cut its estimates for Apple, joining the chorus of concerns that Apple could post its first-ever year over year decline in iPhone sales.

Analyst Amit Daryanani now believes Apple will ship 45 million iPhone units in the current March quarter, which is considerably below buy-side expectations on Wall Street, ranging from 50 million to 58 million.

To put Daryanani's estimate into perspective, Apple sold a massive 61 million iPhones in the March quarter of 2015. Shipments of 45 million in the March 2016 quarter would be a major 26 percent year over year decline.

His new estimate came from "discussions with a host of supply chain companies," he said in a note to investors, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider.

To him, shares of AAPL will remain "range-bound" until the end of the March quarter. Beyond that, he sees iPhone sales returning to growth in the second half of calendar 2016, and potentially even in the June quarter.

Apple's production cuts are aimed at optimizing retail inventory, Daryanani believes. And while he cut his estimates, Daryanani said much of the discussion about Apple on Wall Street is simply "noise" that he believes will fade.

Daryanani still believes investors should buy in on Apple stock due to a number of factors, including higher average selling prices on iPhones and iPads, a potential 4-inch iPhone refresh targeting new price points, and higher gross margins.

However, despite maintaining an "outperform" rating, RBC has lowered its price target on AAPL to $130. That's down from its previous target of $140.

Shares of AAPL have taken a beating in recent weeks, following reports from a number of Apple suppliers who expect slower sales to start the new year. While none of the suppliers have specifically mentioned Apple, accompanying reports have claimed that Apple has cut new orders for its flagship iPhone 6s series in response to slower-than-expected sales.

Investors have been concerned that the astonishing growth seen by the iPhone since its launch in 2007 is coming to an end. Speculation about "peak iPhone" sales has been attributed to recent struggles for AAPL stock.

Most analysts on Wall Street continue to stand by Apple as a solid investment, though they do believe a first-ever year-over-year decline in iPhone sales is a real possibility in 2016. Expectations for the anticipated "iPhone 7" refresh, however, remain sky-high, with analysts predicting the iPhone will return to growth with a redesigned model this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I picked up 50 more shares at the open.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Isn't this just herd mentality at this point? And what is a 4" iPhone going to do? I'm sure it will sell well enough but I doubt it will be some major growth catalyst. I'd love to know which current Apple suppliers would disclose sales data to Wall Street analysts. It's one thing if it's a public company reporting financial results but I have a hard time believing all these Apple suppliers are going to be gossiping about iPhone part orders with financial analysts. Also, if there was going to be a significant decline in the March quarter is that something Apple would have go pre-warn about? Obviously they haven't provided guidance for March yet so there's nothing to revise. How exactly does that work?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Looks like we are going to see a 40% drop just like in 2014. That gives us a target of $80 per share. Market cap is now at $550 billion. Take out the $150 in net cash and the company is worth $400 billion. 

There's been so much smoke their must be fire at this point. I'm expecting 'weak' sales for March quarter. Probably iPhone units down 5-10% YoY. I think all of this could have been avoided if Tim Cook warned investors last year that the iPhone6 cycle was very unusually because of pent up demand for larger phones. I wish he explained that during the iPhone6 cycle there would be 30% unit growth but during the next cycle there would be very little growth or a decline. 

If you compare iPhone 6s sales vs iPhone 5s there is still a nice 25% unit growth and 30% revenue growth. That is great growth over 2 years. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    5150iii said:
    Just make sure you are willing to hold to at least $80. I can see the stock dip to those levels easily in the next few months.
    cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Isn't this just herd mentality at this point? And what is a 4" iPhone going to do? I'm sure it will sell well enough but I doubt it will be some major growth catalyst. I'd love to know which current Apple suppliers would disclose sales data to Wall Street analysts. It's one thing if it's a public company reporting financial results but I have a hard time believing all these Apple suppliers are going to be gossiping about iPhone part orders with financial analysts. Also, if there was going to be a significant decline in the March quarter is that something Apple would have go pre-warn about? Obviously they haven't provided guidance for March yet so there's nothing to revise. How exactly does that work?
    Herd mentality is and always will be a big part of the stock market.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    5150iii said:
    Just make sure you are willing to hold to at least $80. I can see the stock dip to those levels easily in the next few months.
    My horizon is 16-18 months. 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    5150iii said:
    My horizon is 16-18 months. 
    Should be good then. I see $80 this spring/summer.  But with iPhone7 hype and nice 10% unit growth vs 6s we probably see $125 by end of year. If the 7s shows 5-10% unit growth next year we probably see $140 in about 18 months.  Not sure if I would have bought shares at this level though. Pretty sure we see $90 and more likely $80 in a few weeks.
  • Reply 8 of 12

Well, looks like herd was right. When the herd said to sell at $130, $120, and $110. That's when the supply chain rumors began. Wall Street was right. Most likely see slight decline in iPhone unit sales in March and June quarter. If that happens we see $80 share price.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    So if i'ts not egregious manipulation by evil forces it's herd mentality.  I heard somewhere that 85% of share market transactions were algorithm driven.

(pun unintentional)
    cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    iPhone sales will get a huge boost if and when Apple replace the 2.5 year-old iPhone 5S with an up-to-date phone-sized iPhone that supports the same features (Apple Pay, 3D Touch, etc.) that the phablet-sized iPhone 6S supports.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mcarling said:
    iPhone sales will get a huge boost if and when Apple replace the 2.5 year-old iPhone 5S with an up-to-date phone-sized iPhone that supports the same features (Apple Pay, 3D Touch, etc.) that the phablet-sized iPhone 6S supports.
    If Apple does that why would anyone buy the top tier phones? Why pay $200 if I can get the 5s replacement you are talking about that does everything the top tier phones do?

Apple's real problem is not hardware sales. Hardware sales have a limit and iPhone is very near it. The problem is Apple has not expanded its services revenue streams fast enough. Either through internal development or acquisition Apple needs to add multiple lines of services in the next 12 months.

Some possible targets;

1. Live TV subscriptions
    2. Movie streaming (buy Netflix or internal)
    3. Banking/Credit card hardware (to increase ApplePay penetration)
    4. Search browser with Advertising (its obvious most people don't mind Google style ads)
    5. Movie sharing (buy Vidmeo)
    6. Home Security
    7. Home Automation (Homekit)
    8. Gaming 
    9. Social media platforms
    10. Expand hardware leasing plans to iPad, Mac, and Watch
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I see $8x next two months. It will moves up back to 9x and possibly stay there until end year. I dont think the hype for iPhone 7, Apple Watch 2, will drive stock price anymore.