New estimate says Apple Watch accounted for over half of 2015 smartwatch shipments

Posted:
in Apple Watch
The Apple Watch was far and away the most popular smartwatch during 2015, accounting for about 51.5 percent of shipments, or 8.8 million units, according to a Jupiter Research estimate.

By comparison, Android Wear devices made up less than 10 percent of the market, Jupiter said. The firm calculated that including the Apple Watch, overall smartwatch shipments likely reached 17.1 million units.

One reason for the Watch's popularity is thought to be the number of apps available. Jupiter noted that last May, whereas Android Wear had around 4,000 apps, the Watch already had some 10,000.

Many people still don't see a reason to buy a smartwatch, however. Of the people who told Jupiter they didn't have immediate plans to buy a wearable, a full 30 percent said they didn't think they'd make use of it.

Apple hasn't announced any official sales figures for the Watch, and estimates about the number of units shipped have sometimes varied wildly. The company will presumably try to make a better case for the product when it announces a second-generation device, something that could happen as soon as this March.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Don't think the numbers are reasonable.  Way more than 2MM Android watches seem to be on the streets, and it seems like there is a 3-6% penetration on the Apple Watch in the US, although I may have not estimated my sampling bias correctly.  The 5:1 ratio seems possible, but my guess would have been 8:1:1 including Pebble.

Waht is the other smart watch platform they are counting?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Don't think the numbers are reasonable.  Way more than 2MM Android watches seem to be on the streets, and it seems like there is a 3-6% penetration on the Apple Watch in the US, although I may have not estimated my sampling bias correctly.  The 5:1 ratio seems possible, but my guess would have been 8:1:1 including Pebble.

Waht is the other smart watch platform they are counting?
    What have you been drinking? Sterno?
    magman1979
  • Reply 3 of 24
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    sog35 said:
    They sold way more than 8.8 million Apple Watch in 2015.  This report is BS
    When will Tim Cook come out and say that? We are all waiting for him to say something. 
    latifbp
  • Reply 4 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Everybody is expecting Apple to announce dismal numbers on 1/26 but the hand wringing is based on the next quarter predictions. All people see are the negative reports and think Apple is failing. The numbers on 1/26 will be astounding. I just heard an info-babe on CNBC report that Apple is still tops in China and that surveys show the Chinese update their phones a lot faster than we do in the West. I will eagerly be waiting for Apple’s own guidance for the next quarter. Maybe we’ll be able to tell the analysts to STFU.
    jbdragonbadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Don't think the numbers are reasonable.  Way more than 2MM Android watches seem to be on the streets,
    really? i dont know that I've ever seen more than one.
  • Reply 6 of 24

lukei said:
    sog35 said:
    When will Tim Cook come out and say that? We are all waiting for him to say something. 
    why are you waiting? it was announced at the onset that they wouldnt be revealing sales on it as a brand new product category. proprietary business intel that they dont want to give out.
    jbdragonbestkeptsecretnetmage
  • Reply 7 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Shipments where already at least 3.5M at the Q2 call; so according to this they only sold 5M for the next 6 months, which includes the holidays, I call BS on that, especially since distribution points and countries were it launched exploded after that point.

It will be 12M minimum by January 1, I think they'll reach 15M by year the end of year 1 (which would mean a slowdown in sales in the next few months because of anticipation they'll be a new version out soon).
    edited January 2016 jbdragonanantksundaram
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Can't wait to see the numbers - I think Watch sales are going to be very good.  They were selling really well at Christmas time.  I love mine - battery life is much better than expected - I'm getting almost 3 days between charges.  Have a Milanese loop and ordered a cool-looking band from ZMEI on Kickstarter as an alternate.  
    jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Don't think the numbers are reasonable.  Way more than 2MM Android watches seem to be on the streets,
    True....just look at some celebrity coverage....you have even seen an apple watch on Oprah's wrist and she is well known NOT to accept free product.  Every time she raises her hand on the Weight Watcher's commercial, there it is.  Tamron Hall on Today wears one.  I see Apple watches when in upscale shopping locations.  I doubt I'd see one in the WalMart check out line.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,301member
    lukei said:
    sog35 said:
    Apple said before they started selling the watch that they were NOT going to release sales number on it and so far, that's held true. I don't see that changing.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Can't wait to see the numbers - I think Watch sales are going to be very good.  They were selling really well at Christmas time. 
    I wonder if he's going to announce the end of the Edition availability. I thought for sure following the Christmas frenzy that Apple would discontinue them, but they are still available on the website for shipment within a week. If the rumors are true and we're looking at a new watch by March, then just how "limited" will this Edition be? Certainly after Cook's initial comments at the launch, the fact they haven't "sold out" suggests the Editions may not have sold as many as they hoped, or they changed their policy and the Edition is no longer going to be sold in "very limited" quantities.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,301member
    Can't wait to see the numbers - I think Watch sales are going to be very good.  They were selling really well at Christmas time.  I love mine - battery life is much better than expected - I'm getting almost 3 days between charges.  Have a Milanese loop and ordered a cool-looking band from ZMEI on Kickstarter as an alternate.  
    You're not going to see Watch sales numbers as Apple has never announced those and said before they started selling them that they wouldn't. I love my Apple Watch. It's not even all the Apps for me, but all the little things that the watch does as a whole that makes it great to have. I got my 42mm Space Grey Apple watch for $300 used in Nov. Hardly used and came with a extra charger and another 3 bands, ,so I have a Red, White and Blue Apple bands to go with my Space Grey one. Apple sells those bands at $50 a pop and the charger is another $30. so that's $180 in extra's. I did get a couple 3rd party Metal bands and one is a Milanese Loop which is really nice and I paid a fraction of the $150 Apple price. I think Watch Bands are a huge market for the Apple watch as you can change to look big time with a quick swap. Generally you buy a watch and it's the same band on it forever unless it breaks and you need to replace it. I like just taking a quick glance on my watch before I leave for work or before I leave work and seeing what the outside temp is currently at or if it's raining or going to rain soon (Thanks to Dark Sky complication). I like the watch letting me know to stand once a hour. Some days time fly's by and I'm been behind the computer for far to long. Helps keep me away in the morning. I limit what things can actually Notify me on my Apple watch so I don't be bombarded. So when something does buzz/ding, I know it's important. No need to dig out my phone always checking so see what that ding was. I can go on and on and on. I didn't think I was going to wear it every day because of work. But I put a case on it to offer some protection while at work and it seems to be doing great. No scratches on it. Still allows me to use any band I want. I didn't go overboard on a case. I can't wait to see what the Rumored Apple Watch 2 has to offer. I like this one so much, I may buy the next one. Maybe give this one to my Dad. He has a iPhone 6. he has a Micky Mouse Watch he wears, so that's a not a issue either.
    pscooter63nolamacguy
  • Reply 13 of 24
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    sog35 said:

Go away. You lost your bet.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    hentaiboy said:
    sog35 said:

These continuing taunts and insults against @sog35 from a whole bunch of regulars here are getting to be tiresome and juvenile. 

Please stop. 
    edited January 2016 latifbppscooter63
  • Reply 15 of 24
    jbdragon said:
    You're not going to see Watch sales numbers as Apple has never announced those and said before they started selling them that they wouldn't. I love my Apple Watch. It's not even all the Apps for me, but all the little things that the watch does as a whole that makes it great to have. I got my 42mm Space Grey Apple watch for $300 used in Nov. Hardly used and came with a extra charger and another 3 bands, ,so I have a Red, White and Blue Apple bands to go with my Space Grey one. Apple sells those bands at $50 a pop and the charger is another $30. so that's $180 in extra's. I did get a couple 3rd party Metal bands and one is a Milanese Loop which is really nice and I paid a fraction of the $150 Apple price. I think Watch Bands are a huge market for the Apple watch as you can change to look big time with a quick swap. Generally you buy a watch and it's the same band on it forever unless it breaks and you need to replace it. I like just taking a quick glance on my watch before I leave for work or before I leave work and seeing what the outside temp is currently at or if it's raining or going to rain soon (Thanks to Dark Sky complication). I like the watch letting me know to stand once a hour. Some days time fly's by and I'm been behind the computer for far to long. Helps keep me away in the morning. I limit what things can actually Notify me on my Apple watch so I don't be bombarded. So when something does buzz/ding, I know it's important. No need to dig out my phone always checking so see what that ding was. I can go on and on and on. I didn't think I was going to wear it every day because of work. But I put a case on it to offer some protection while at work and it seems to be doing great. No scratches on it. Still allows me to use any band I want. I didn't go overboard on a case. I can't wait to see what the Rumored Apple Watch 2 has to offer. I like this one so much, I may buy the next one. Maybe give this one to my Dad. He has a iPhone 6. he has a Micky Mouse Watch he wears, so that's a not a issue either.
    Agree 100%.  Using more than I thought I would.  It's neat to see how much your heart rate drops when you're asleep.  While this probably seems silly, I also like the reminders to stand up every hour.  Quite helpful at work - motivates me to get away from my desk again.  I'm really impressed with the Milanese loop band - since it's infinitely adjustable you can make it fit just how you want.  I'm getting a nice leather band just for something different and fashionable. You're right tho - Apple will make a killing on bands and accessories.  Those will be very profitable.
    netmage
  • Reply 16 of 24
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    hentaiboy said:

These continuing taunts and insults against @sog35 from a whole bunch of regulars here are getting to be tiresome and juvenile. 

Please stop. 
    You don't think there is a reason for that?
    netmagenolamacguy
  • Reply 17 of 24
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    stanhope said:
    True....just look at some celebrity coverage....you have even seen an apple watch on Oprah's wrist and she is well known NOT to accept free product.  Every time she raises her hand on the Weight Watcher's commercial, there it is.  Tamron Hall on Today wears one.  I see Apple watches when in upscale shopping locations.  I doubt I'd see one in the WalMart check out line.
    Isn't there a rule as an AI forum member whereby we all agree not to mentionOprah's name?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    hentaiboy said:

Please stop. 
    I tolerate his posts as long as he doesn't get into his known rants.
    netmage
  • Reply 19 of 24
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,293member
    hentaiboy said:

Please stop. 
    I agree with bestkeptsecret. If sog keeps it civil, I'm okay with that.

The whole ptsd crazies that he went through the previous couple of weeks have to end. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 20 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I tolerate his posts as long as he doesn't get into his known rants.
    I miss the "block" feature.
    netmage