'Apple Watch 2' might not make anticipated March debut, report says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    jetpilot said:
    It may be rumor, but one thing that isn't is the sooner they release the second generation Apple Watch the sooner they get my money.  I know I'm not the only person holding off from buying a first-generation model of any product.
    I was going to wait. Not buy a first Generation device. Then in NOV, I said screw it and got my 42mm Space Grey Apple Watch and haven't looked back. There's still features I haven't done on it like spend a picture or my heart beat to some other Apple Watch owner as I don't personally know anyone with one. Some things I use more then others, but I wear it every single day since I got it. I'd miss not having it on me. It's all the little things that make it such a great watch. Being able to swap bands in a matter of seconds is huge. Apple opened a big market just for watch bands when you can just swap bands and completely change the look. Something that's not really done much with dumb watches. You change the band when the band goes bad. Or put on a different watch. The screen look great. For a first gen product, Apple did a really good job. If/When Apple releases a new version, it'll depend on hardware changes IF I get it or not. Maybe I'll give my current one to my Dad. You just never know.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    brucemc said:
    Will be interesting to see what Apple ends up going with for a refresh cycle.  I love my Watch, but don't think it's something I'd upgrade every year or two.  Maybe they'll have an annual release for the first few versions as they improve the tech quickly, then slow it down?  Idk.  Lots of room to grow though - they've hit a home run here.
    It is funny that people who don't think that "they" will upgrade every year use it as a reason that a new model shouldn't be introduced every year. It isn't like new purchasers might be spurred by having a new model or anything. 
    I don't have a problem if Apple released a new one every year. They release a new iPhone every year and I don't buy a new one every year. I had my iPhone 4 for over 4 years before I went and got the iPhone 6. I'm still not sure if I'll upgrade to the iPhone 7 yet or just wait and go 4 years ?!?! A watch you could go longer. Maybe a watch is good for 4 years normally. Double the normal iPhone life. 2 years iPhone and 4 years Apple Watch. It's a new product. What can Apple do to make it worth to buy a new Apple watch after already having the current one? Would you want a Camera? Samesung did that with a camera in the band and it took crappy pictures. I don't want that. There's not much space in the watch for a Camera. A faster CPU? I think the watch runs pretty good. A faster CPU would kill battery life. People want better battery life. People want thinner. I don't think it's that large, and thinner also means less room, which means less battery, etc. What do you want? You have to be practical about it. This is not fantasy land. I'd like to see more Native Apple Watch app's. That would speed up load times for 3rd party app's. Apple and better fine tune WatchOS with what really works, and what didn't.
    cornchip
  • Reply 43 of 46
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    jbdragon said:
    brucemc said:
    It is funny that people who don't think that "they" will upgrade every year use it as a reason that a new model shouldn't be introduced every year. It isn't like new purchasers might be spurred by having a new model or anything. 
    I don't have a problem if Apple released a new one every year. They release a new iPhone every year and I don't buy a new one every year. I had my iPhone 4 for over 4 years before I went and got the iPhone 6. I'm still not sure if I'll upgrade to the iPhone 7 yet or just wait and go 4 years ?!?! A watch you could go longer. Maybe a watch is good for 4 years normally. Double the normal iPhone life. 2 years iPhone and 4 years Apple Watch. It's a new product. What can Apple do to make it worth to buy a new Apple watch after already having the current one? Would you want a Camera? Samesung did that with a camera in the band and it took crappy pictures. I don't want that. There's not much space in the watch for a Camera. A faster CPU? I think the watch runs pretty good. A faster CPU would kill battery life. People want better battery life. People want thinner. I don't think it's that large, and thinner also means less room, which means less battery, etc. What do you want? You have to be practical about it. This is not fantasy land. I'd like to see more Native Apple Watch app's. That would speed up load times for 3rd party app's. Apple and better fine tune WatchOS with what really works, and what didn't.
    A faster CPU uses less battery, not more, if you use it for the same tasks; the faster CPU is on a smaller more efficient process too which helps.
    Usually, Apple ads features/or makes things thinner to the faster CPU so it comes about the same as before.

• Reply 44 of 46
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    mr. me said:
    This is just it. People who assert that "rich people don't care" don't know rich people. Drug dealers, 20-year-old professional athletes, and lottery winners may not care, but people who have money and know how to use it care very much. The owner of a loaded Mac Pro system would not generally consider replacing it after only one year. Apple sells Watch Editions at twice the price of a loaded Mac Pro.
    you're still thinking about it wrong. buying a loaded Pro (a tool used to generate income) isn't the same as buying a gold watch (jewelry used to show off income). you can't apply the same, normal, practical way of thinking about it. there are tons of wealthy people (say the rising new money in China) who desire gold status symbols. they don't buy their status symbols as investments or practical tools. they will upgrade. 
    I agree with almost all of your posts, but we have to part ways on this one. The Mac Pro is a fabulous computer. However, it is not an investment--at least not in the sense of other investments. You invest money in securities with the expectation that those securities will rise in value. You invest in real estate with the expectation that the real estate will generate income through rents and capital gains. You also expect that paper losses in real estate will shelter income from other sources. You invest in commodities with the expectation that those commodities will soon be worth more than you paid for them. Be it the things that I have already mentioned, race horses, or numerous other investments, you expect that your investment will rise in value or act as a hedge against the falling value of other investment. The Mac Pro, on the other hand, is a work tool. Purchasing a Mac Pro is an investment in the person who uses it. It allows that person to do the very best that he or she is capable of doing. However, the computer itself will never be worth more than it is when the buyer takes receipt of it. This, despite the fact that Apple computers depreciate much slower than those sold by the competition.

You appear to have fallen for a misconception of the wealthy that is popular on this forum and elsewhere. Rich people as a rule are not in the business of showing off their possessions. When you see a rich woman wearing an expensive necklace, she is usually not showing off her expensive necklace. She is likely showing off a reproduction. Her expensive necklace is in a security vault somewhere.

As for the Watch--whether its case is aluminum, stainless steel, or gold--is much more than a luxury item. It is intended to replace not only your old digital and mechanical watches, but it is also intended to replace everything in your pockets from your house keys to your high-end credit cards. The fact that it comes in versions engineered and built using some of the World's finest materials is just the spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. Although the Watch Edition is more than a luxury item, it is still a luxury item. As such, it must maintain a substantial fraction of its purchase price for an extended period of time. I have no idea how Apple plans to pull this off, but I expect Apple to do anything to depreciate any very of the Watch.
    jackansicornchip
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Without an established refresh cycle, its pretty much a crap shoot as to when AW-2/AW-S will come out.  I find it much more likely that they have an S variant (probably under a different naming scheme than "S") than a "2".  I plan on keeping the Apple Watches I have till they die.  I want to see how long they will last, both hardware and software (updates), before I even think about buying another.  Hopefully by then we'll be on at least the 3rd or 4th gen.
    cornchip
  • Reply 46 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    "...indirect evidence to cast plausible doubt on recent rumors."  Wow, I'd bet the farm on that sort of intel!
    cornchip