Donald Trump promises to make Apple manufacture in US instead of China

Comments

• Reply 121 of 187
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    foggyhill said:
    In a campaign speech at Virginia's fundamentalist Liberty University on Monday, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump tangentially promised that he would force Apple to manufacture its hardware in the US instead of looking to overseas labor.

"We're going to get Apple to build their damn computers in this country instead of other countries," Trump said towards end of the speech, according to Gizmodo. Earlier, he proposed a 35 percent tax on businesses making goods overseas, while still insisting that he supported free trade.

Only one Mac -- the Mac Pro -- is currently assembled in the U.S., by way of a factory located in Austin, Texas. Apple otherwise relies on Chinese manufacturers for most of its products, both because of the cheap labor and because decades of previous outsourcing has allowed the American manufacturing industry to shrink.

Trump has been a leading figure in polls for the Republican primary elections, the first of which start next month. These will decide the party's official candidate for U.S. presidential elections in November.

Trump's run has been marked by a number of controversial statements, most notably a claim that he would ban any Muslims from entering the U.S., regardless of crimes, political views, or even national origin.
    Another POS idiocy from the moron in chief, man can't believe the absoute god damn garbage that come out of his mouth.

No you won't turd brain; take care of your own god damn outsourcing first and then you can spew your crud everywhere.

He is one the biggest narcissistic moron in history (he was a good candidate for decades, but he's clinched it lately); just having to hear with his kind of crap and all the syncophant trained seal that clap around him is beyond revolting.

Like it or not Trump has some valid points. The trouble with China is that they are not competing on level ground. Further they are using their economic advantages to raise an Army to be used against us. As for out sourcing how do you do that with real estate? By the way, it isn't the outsourcing that is the problem it is whom you are doing business with that is the problem. In this sense China is quickly becoming a big problem. At least with Trump there is some possibility that we might actually do away with the police state mentality that currently exists in DC.
    ben20tallest skilasdasd
  • Reply 122 of 187
    ireland said:
    This guy is a dangerous idiot. You need to win first Trump. And even at that they are a company you moron. You don't have the authority.
    Err like the current president who governs by decree and totally ignores the constitution?

Trump isn't dangerous to the good people of the USA, he is however a big danger to the current idiotic government currently rooted in various parts of the USA. As for forcing Apple to do something, government in general does that all the time. The difference here is that we might actually see a positive impact for the USA.

In case you are wondering I work in the manufacturing sector in the USA. The government forces companies to do all sorts of things, some of which makes sense and some things that don't make sense. If you don't think the government can't impact a company like Apple you really have no practicle experience to comment.
    edited January 2016 ben20tallest skil
  • Reply 123 of 187
    wizard69 said:
    ireland said:
    This guy is a dangerous idiot. You need to win first Trump. And even at that they are a company you moron. You don't have the authority.
    Err like the current president who governs by decree and totally ignores the constitution?

Trump isn't dangerous to the good people of the USA, he is however a big danger to the current idiotic government currently rooted in various parts of the USA. As for forcing Apple to do something, government in general does that all the time. The difference here is that we might actually see a positive impact for the USA.

In case you are wondering I work in the manufacturing sector in the USA. The government forces companies to do all sorts of things, some of which makes sense and some things that don't make sense. If you don't think the government can't impact a company like Apple you really have no practicle experience to comment.
    Current president ruling by decree?

Obama 227 (upto Dec 20th 2015)
    George Bush 291
    W. Clinton 364
    G. Bush snr 166
    R. Reagan 381

Once again he's bloody useless. He can't even do that properly!
  • Reply 124 of 187
    Force Apple or give incentives to Apple?
    He'll have to convince FoxConn to build a factory in the States.

Apple already builds some stuff in the US.
    Tim Cook said that the workers with the specific skills needed are not in the US.

As much as I like Tim Cook and his ability to run the company, the idea that the skills don't exist in the USA is total non sense. Frankly statements like this make Tim look like a complete ass. There is a concept called training that solves this, even a long established team needs retraining as technology moves forward. Skills are developed and frankly existed in this country well before the mad rush to China. There was a time when if something was imported into this country it came from all over the world. These days the vast majority of trade comes from one place - that is China. Even Mexico lost out to China. The current arrangement is just too lopsided to continue.
    ben20asdasd
  • Reply 125 of 187
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    trumptman said:
    Let's treat this in the most skeptical manner possible. Let's say this is nothing more than jingoistic nonsense meant to whip the voter into such a frenzy that in a fit of nationalistic fervor they run into a polling station and vote for Donald Trump. Does it really matter if after he is elected he ends up breaking the promise?

I just say this because Politifact has a six page list of broken Obama promises. Most people who are objective would probably consider the "compromises" in the larger list to be broken promises as well.

The guy was elected twice on visions of utopia and sloganeering like "Hope and Change."

I don't like Trump but how is this promise really any different than the others made by him? His claims are big, bold and they capture headlines and attention which means they capture voters.

Obama promised to close Guantanamo Bay. He promised to allow the importation of prescription drugs. He promised a new era of bipartisanship and to change Washington D.C. He promised to end Super-PAC's and a Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill would be passed in his FIRST YEAR in office.

Anybody else notice we are still talking about Comprehensive Immigration Reform, it is 2016 and the man has had two terms including a first two years with a Democratic Congress to deal with it?

Broken promises are politics as usual. You can't argue whether you will be politics as usual or a different politics if you aren't elected. Trump wants to get elected.
    You do know what a false equivalency is. Look it up.
    Its different because EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS GOD DAMN PROMISES IS EXTREME.
    You do know the difference in degrees don't you?

A slew of xenophobic inflammatory promises versus
    Obama saying  he'll close a prison, which the military and the GOP opposed  vehemently.. Hey, they're the same in your mind (sic).

Also, his boot lickers say he's not enslaved to lobbyist and he's telling it like it is when you argue he's just like the rest!
    No cognitive dissonance in their little heads... Not at all.
    The fact he would be one of those hiring the lobbyists in the first place also totally escapes his throng of morons.

The very fact you talk about immigration reform as a broken promise when you know why it's broken means your disingenuous; like most of his apologists.
    Same thing with most of Obama's broken promises, many of which depended on being able to pass laws which after he took care of the economy and health care before 2010 was essentially impossible with the most obstructionist house EVER.
    The fact Bush tanked the economy completely upending his agenda and prevent most promises from occurring before he lost the house in 2010 to the same turds Trump represents... Well, that's totally escapes you hey.

So, please fracking keep your sauce argument to yourself.

He's not like the others, he's a dangerous demagogue.

ronnmuppetry
  • Reply 126 of 187
    bookemd said:
    Do people realize half the things he says are just for show to the audience to get a big applause?  He knows he can't do most things he says.  It is extremely entertaining to watch people get worked up over him.
    So, being a demagogue and saying racist, sexist, thing to entertain/rile a crowd is OK with you.... Man, the US has fallen really really low.

Either he means what he says or he's a sick clown, which is it?
    singularitymuppetry
  • Reply 127 of 187
    apple ][ said:
    Oh boy, are many people going to be in for a shock when and if the Donald wins.

I don't have to agree with him on every single issue or every word that comes out of his mouth, but I do agree with him on most issues. I am definitely voting for the man.
    So, basically you're all in on xenophobic sexist morons; that's what all you're previous posts demonstrated so I'm glad I was right.

Agree on what buddy, come on demonstrate your ignorance.
    edited January 2016 singularityronnmuppetry
  • Reply 129 of 187
    singularity said:

George Bush 291
    W. Clinton 364
    G. Bush snr 166
    R. Reagan 381

I like how this is the only response Obama supporters ever have to his treason. As though the existence of other executive orders disproves the fact that he has committed it.

Fucking hilarious.

foggyhill said:
    EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS GOD DAMN PROMISES IS EXTREME.
    Good.
    ...xenophobic... 
    You say that as though it matters. Or is true.
    Same thing with most of Obama's broken promises, many of which depended on being able to pass laws
    So maybe he shouldn’t have promised them, since he has no authority to pass laws? How about that.
    ...he took care of the economy and healthcare...
    “Took care” in the 1920s gangster sense, yes.
    ...the most obstructionist house EVER.
    Sing their praises some more, please. I’m glad to see that you like them, too. Learn what our government is supposed to be.
    ...Bush tanked the economy...
    Seven fucking years and you’re still on that bullshit canard? Are you fucking serious? If you gave a fuck at all about what actually tanked the economy, you wouldn’t mention either president.
    He's not like the others, he's a dangerous demagogue.
    Know what? Let’s just embrace that lie. Make you people squirm and cry.
    dewme said:
    ...the US itself will be indiscernible from such an institution. ...I’m not laughing. ...blowing up what has taken more than 200 years to get to a reasonably stable state...
    You just have abso-fucking-lutely zero evidence for any of these claims, which I’ve seen copied and pasted thousands of times.xbit said:
    Globalization isn't a reversible process
    Keep dreaming.
    The American people aren't going to let you take away their German cars, French wine, Italian suits, Swiss watches, Japanese TVs, etc., etc., etc. 
    And no one is saying that. We’re saying to get rid of the bullshit free trade agreements, supranational unions, and multinational defense treaties.

foggyhill said:
    So, being a demagogue and saying racist, sexist, thing...
    Or you could shut up with your libel, I guess. Stop saying words that have absolutely no meaning to you whatsoever and then claiming the argument is won.

EDIT: Erroneous first quote line removed
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 130 of 187
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    Well, He is a idiot or not. Some people like him because this type of comment and promise.

As you all know or not, Walmart just close another 490+ store in world wide. US alone low income job disappeared more than 10,000 by this closure.
    HP also last year separate enterprise solution and print business and enterprise side, will lay off thousands.
    Macy's also close 40 some stores. on and on...

I am not sure most of you guys/girls in this forum has no job security problem but lots of low income class has very tough to find the job to make a living these days.
    More and more jobs are disappear from US.
    Specially low income job. 
    Not everybody can get high pay job anyway and we need well balanced low income job as well.

Some state has problem with minimum wage, that is state problem. They need to increase that. I think NY will increase minimum wage start 2016.
    If Trump's company pay their employee as state minimum wage then what law his company broke? Nothing.
    If you don't like that job then get high pay job. Nothing out there..
    Before sub-prime crisis, bank has full of employee. Now, if you can see 1-2 max in counter.
    Even supermarket pay line replaced by automated self scan and pay system. 6-8 auto payment system control by 1 employee.
    Used has 4-5 pay line by employee needed. More and more store will adapt this and layoff more low income job.

Past couple of years US has increase rent price rapidly. That also hurts on spending budget for mid & low income class.
    That lead to entire US growth problem.

Apple and other company problem is CEO and board member's life spend. Most of them has 5-8 years.
    So they have look good and turn around the stock price by make money regardless what it takes.

Also Apple and other big company evade US tax by export all manufacturing job. I can't blame them to do so.
    But I blame the US gov not to fix the business tax code long time ago and let this happen.

That hurts most of American. That's why these people like Trump. Ether he can pull it off or not.
    Can you blame them as you are fool?

Right now, Trump scratch the itch from low/mid income class people and so far they like it I guess.
    Far as I can tell, he does not care he elected or not. 
    ben20
  • Reply 131 of 187
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    It would be interesting to see if there is an undertone to these comments. Anyone who follows finance knows that China is in the process of hitting the financial skids. China is going to go down in the worst possible way on top of it. They have a demographic inversion. They have ghost cities built using the savings of their people who don't want to consume enough to create domestic demand. To fix this the government and banking system there created tons of leverage on loans that are now largely going bad. The stock market is also tanking.

No one has trusted the numbers coming out of China well......ever. So no one can really predict the extent of the problem and how big it will grow and manifest economically.

Perhaps Trump is signaling to American companies the fact that they should hedge their bets regarding China rather than having all their eggs in one basket. Additionally he is talking about a big stick (35% tax) to make it happen.

Finally there is the issue of foreign profits and repatriating said profits back to the United States. This story came up again last December. Tim Cook called it "total political crap" because he defended it so vigorously.

I'd bet someone is getting ready to signal to the big wigs out there a willingness to let them use their foreign profits to create domestic jobs while helping them to leave a worsening situation in China. In bombastic newsbite speak it sounds stupid but as policy it could be very smart.
    ben20
  • Reply 132 of 187
    singularity said:
    have no practicle experience to comment.

George Bush 291
    W. Clinton 364
    G. Bush snr 166
    R. Reagan 381

I like how this is the only response Obama supporters ever have to his treason. As though the existence of other executive orders disproves the fact that he has committed it.

Fucking hilarious.

foggyhill said: Good.
    So maybe he shouldn’t have promised them, since he has no authority to pass laws? How about that.
    Sing their praises some more, please. I’m glad to see that you like them, too. Learn what our government is supposed to be.
    Seven fucking years and you’re still on that bullshit canard? Are you fucking serious? If you gave a fuck at all about what actually tanked the economy, you wouldn’t mention either president.
    You just have abso-fucking-lutely zero evidence for any of these claims, which I’ve seen copied and pasted thousands of times.xbit said:Keep dreaming.
    And no one is saying that. We’re saying to get rid of the bullshit free trade agreements, supranational unions, and multinational defense treaties.

foggyhill said:Or you could shut up with your libel, I guess. Stop saying words that have absolutely no meaning to you whatsoever and then claiming the argument is won.
    If your going to quote someone keep to what they said and don't add words not said.
    For a president that is being so dictatorial and unconstitutional, why is he still in office?
  • Reply 133 of 187
    singularity said:
    If your going to quote someone keep to what they said and don't add words not said.
    Yep, I didn’t do that.
    For a president that is being so dictatorial and unconstitutional, why is he still in office?
    Stop begging the question.
  • Reply 134 of 187

Fucking hilarious.

foggyhill said: Good.
    You just have abso-fucking-lutely zero evidence for any of these claims, which I’ve seen copied and pasted thousands of times.xbit said:Keep dreaming.

foggyhill said:Or you could shut up with your libel, I guess. Stop saying words that have absolutely no meaning to you whatsoever and then claiming the argument is won.
    That's a good question. One answer is that the other people in government are extremely reluctant to open themselves up to cross-party attacks for their own corruption.
  • Reply 135 of 187
    singularity said:
    Yep, I didn’t do that.Stop begging the question.
    Yes you did. Look at post 123 and what you quoted. I have no problem you saying I don't have practical experience but you put it into a quote of what I said. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 136 of 187
    Yes you did. Look at post 123 and what you quoted. I have no problem you saying I don't have practical experience but you put it into a quote of what I said. 
    Oh! Sorry about that. This stupid software is worse than Huddler at handling quote formatting.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 137 of 187
    Trump can tell Apple where to make its computers after he stops having his buildings constructed using imported overseas laborers and his Trump line of business clothing sewn in overseas sweat shops.
    Even The Donald admits that he should manufacture HIS stuff in the U.S. He claims he needs to do it to be competitive, to which I recommend a facility in Anaheim that Ennis shut down because of an inflexible union. Ennis claims they wanted 24-7 operations and the union was willing to only do 24-5, with production time lost with starting up and shutting down the line. Ennis moved manufacturing to Mexico.
  • Reply 138 of 187
    Oh! Sorry about that. This stupid software is worse than Huddler at handling quote formatting.
    That's ok. I don't mind people pointing out my stupidity/ignorance or how much I'm just wrong I just get a bit tetchy now and again.

:) 
    Right can we get back to good old fashioned arguments over Trump etc al  lol
  • Reply 139 of 187
    When Apple tells Foxconn to turn on the production lines for a new product, Foxconn can hire 27,000 industrial Engineers in less then a month, and have them on site and working in days after they are hired. That would be an impossibility in the U.S. It would take months even a year or more to pull that off here. And it's that surplus of trained engineers and their desire to do whatever is needed (live in a dormitory, eat fish heads, have no social life, etc.) that separates Chinese workers from USA workers...

USA engineer wants to relocate their family, study the local schools, find a house to buy, negotiate a moving fee, and a process that goes on and on... The Chinese engineer is interviewed on Monday and is hard at work on Tuesday. End of bullshit. The USA hasn't seen that kind of ability to build up production instantly since WWII.
    I will side with Trump on this one, Apple is producing some of its products in Brazil, and when Foxconn built up a plant there a few years ago to build iPhone 4S's and iPad2's nobody seemed to care about Brazil not having super specialized engineers in the field of smartphones. Timmy Cook is doing typical reality distortion field explanation a-la-Steve Jobs here, using a simple and plausible explanation as a shield to the real reason, which is their 40% profit margin. Trump could care less of that product margin if it produces more jobs, and I agree with him on this one. 
  • Reply 140 of 187
    ronnronn Posts: 658member
    Trump doesn't even have his clothing line made in America. He's a racist blowhard that is out for himself at the expense of America. The sooner he loses GOP primary races, the better.

I'm just glad he's inflicting harm on the rest of the GOP field. It's almost as if he's a Dem/Clinton plant. Now Hillary just has to hold up against Bernie in the early races -- although she has a knack for turning surefire victory into a spectacular defeat. 
    muppetry