Another new kernel flaw that Google won't fix for Android users prompts more switching to Apple's i

Comments

• Reply 41 of 125

staticx57 said:
    Regardless of the truth of the title, nothing in the article supports it.
    Except for the research, other journalists, the upranked opinions of Ars readers, the cited Android fan, and statistics. 

There's nothing controversial here, just the half dozen AI accounts created to bash articles they find offensive to their hopes. 
    Then cite these in your article.
    gwydiontechloverthepixeldocphilboogierhinotuff
  • Reply 42 of 125
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    staticx57 said:

Read the article again; carefully !
    netmage
  • Reply 43 of 125
    josha said:
    staticx57 said:

Read the article again; carefully !
    None of what he cited (barely and mostly cited himself) supports the headline.
    gwydiontechloverphilboogiesingularityrhinotuffcnocbui
  • Reply 44 of 125
    A new kernel privilege escalation flaw discovered in the Linux kernel requires server operators to install a patch, but is not going to be fixed for the majority of Android users. After record numbers switched to iOS last quarter, Google's inability to update its user base is inciting switchers to move to iPhones even faster.

This article made me think of poor old BlackBerry, who are coming out with their new android phone.

When I first heard this I wondered how BB would continue to advertise themselves as THE MOST SECURE PHONE.
    Now I realize their task to do so is VERY DIFFICULT, if not IMPOSSIBLE !

(Oh my I just got another Adobe Flash update popup today)
    philboogienetmage
  • Reply 45 of 125
    ron1701 said:

I wish Appleinsider was more  discriminating about what they print. I rely on this site for news an rumors concerning Apple.  Articles such as this with Juvenile catch phrases such as "Android is the new Flash"  lower the credibility of the whole site.
    I agree, but it's likely caused by the lack of negative stories on Apple.  ;)

• Reply 46 of 125
    Switching to iOS is a good option to Android. But buying only Nexus is an even better option.
  • Reply 47 of 125
    williamh said:
    It's not as bad as it sounds for the following reasons:
    1. It's a DED article and I can't stand his writing style.
    2. I've never gotten a virus using Android.
    3. All my friends are using Marshmallow so this isn't a problem.
    4. I hate walled gardens.
    5. Android users are smart enough to avoid viruses because they can root their phone.
    6. I love specs.
    7. iPhone = Bendgate
    8. I've always trusted Google because they're so innovative and cool.
    Is this sarcasm or not? 
    What do you think? You've posted here 180 times. That makes you a regular. What does your sarcasm meter tell you?
  • Reply 48 of 125
    It's not as bad as it sounds for the following reasons:
    1. It's a DED article and I can't stand his writing style.
    2. I've never gotten a virus using Android.
    3. All my friends are using Marshmallow so this isn't a problem.
    4. I hate walled gardens.
    5. Android users are smart enough to avoid viruses because they can root their phone.
    6. I love specs.
    7. iPhone = Bendgate
    8. I've always trusted Google because they're so innovative and cool.
    All the newbies (which there are a lot of) are going to think you're serious. 
    I have nothing to prove to the newly registered astroturfers. They're on my lawn.  B)
    thepixeldocdasanman69netmage
  • Reply 49 of 125
    gatorguy said:

Most of the talk of hundreds of millions of exposed users are simply that: Talk. Android has it's problems and is certifiably not as stable or secure as iOS, but it's also not the malware infested insecure hellstew readers of AI would believe it is if all you ever read were articles here. In the world of operating systems it's one of the most secure, completely virus free despite what you've heard. Don't take my word for it. Feel free to do your own research to confirm.
    I don't get all the excitement here either;   both about the android hole and the fact most android phones out there won't be fixed.

To me the key problem about android is that android is Google spyware.
    Of course that is also Google's main priority;  keeping their spyware active in supplying much needed personal info on the users.   B)
  • Reply 50 of 125
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    josha said:
    gatorguy said:

Most of the talk of hundreds of millions of exposed users are simply that: Talk. Android has it's problems and is certifiably not as stable or secure as iOS, but it's also not the malware infested insecure hellstew readers of AI would believe it is if all you ever read were articles here. In the world of operating systems it's one of the most secure, completely virus free despite what you've heard. Don't take my word for it. Feel free to do your own research to confirm.
    I don't get all the excitement here either;   both about the android hole and the fact most android phones out there won't be fixed.

To me the key problem about android is that android is Google spyware.
    Of course that is also Google's main priority;  keeping their spyware active in supplying much needed personal info on the users.   B)
    Anonymized rather than personal, but yeah. 
    cnocbui
  • Reply 51 of 125
    volcan said:
    According to the researchers, SELinux on Android makes this exploit extremely unlikely. SELinux was adopted by Android in version 4.3. So if you look at the graph in this article you can see that approximately 2/3 of all Android devices are protected by SELinux. Sure, they should be patched but the danger is extremely small for most Android users. Same for any Linux server using SELinux, which includes a large portion of commercial servers because Red Hat and Cent OS are by far the most popular and they have implemented SELinux by default for many years.
    Actually according to Security-Enhanced Linux in Android - https://source.android.com/security/selinux/index.html -:

"In the Android 5.0 (L) release, Android moves to full enforcement of SELinux. This builds upon the permissive release of 4.3 and the partial enforcement of 4.4. In short, Android is shifting from enforcement on a limited set of crucial domains (installdnetdvold and zygote) to everything (more than 60 domains). This means manufacturers will have to better understand and scale their SELinux implementations to provide compatible devices."

Note "permissive release of 4.3" above - permissive means "allowed but not obligatory; optional". Adopted means "take up or start to use or follow". It looks like it was only fully enforced in Android 5.0 (L).

As you used the word "adopted" in your post - please provide documentation on what Android hardware manufacturers "adopted" SELinux in their distributions to support your statement "that approximately 2/3 of all Android devices are protected by SELinux."

Otherwise we must go with the statement that Android 5.0 (L) devices are fully enforced ["protected by default"] by SELinux and exclude Android 4.3 and 4.4 devices as these builds did not have full enforcement ["not protected by default"] of SELinux.

Default is defined as "a preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer."
    netmage
  • Reply 52 of 125
    volcan said:
    According to the researchers, SELinux on Android makes this exploit extremely unlikely. SELinux was adopted by Android in version 4.3. So if you look at the graph in this article you can see that approximately 2/3 of all Android devices are protected by SELinux. Sure, they should be patched but the danger is extremely small for most Android users. Same for any Linux server using SELinux, which includes a large portion of commercial servers because Red Hat and Cent OS are by far the most popular and they have implemented SELinux by default for many years.
    Actually according to Security-Enhanced Linux in Android - https://source.android.com/security/selinux/index.html -:

"In the Android 5.0 (L) release, Android moves to full enforcement of SELinux. This builds upon the permissive release of 4.3 and the partial enforcement of 4.4. In short, Android is shifting from enforcement on a limited set of crucial domains (installdnetdvold and zygote) to everything (more than 60 domains). This means manufacturers will have to better understand and scale their SELinux implementations to provide compatible devices."

Note "permissive release of 4.3" above - permissive means "allowed but not obligatory; optional". Adopted means "take up or start to use or follow". It looks like it was only fully enforced in Android 5.0 (L).

As you used the word "adopted" in your post - please provide documentation on what Android hardware manufacturers "adopted" SELinux in their distributions to support your statement "that approximately 2/3 of all Android devices are protected by SELinux."

Otherwise we must go with the statement that Android 5.0 (L) devices are fully enforced ["protected by default"] by SELinux and exclude Android 4.3 and 4.4 devices as these builds did not have full enforcement ["not protected by default"] of SELinux.

Default is defined as "a preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer."
    For further clarity from Security-Enhanced Linux in Android:

"SELinux can operate in one of two global modes: permissive mode, in which permission denials are logged but not enforced, and enforcing mode, in which denials are both logged and enforced."

"
    Everything is in enforcing mode in the 5.0 release"

So a distribution that operates in permissive mode only logs the denials but does not enforce can be called "adopting" but if it does not enforce - what good does that do?
    netmage
  • Reply 53 of 125
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    "It's really irresponsible to have no way to quickly roll out fixes to your customers. There have been so many security issues with my Android phone, and none of them would be a big deal at all if they could just roll out a fix quickly! Instead I just feel frustrated."

Here's the problem with the foregoing statement.  If you have an Android phone, you're not Google's customer.  You're their product.
  • Reply 54 of 125
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    staticx57 said:
    tele1234 said:

I'm beginning to think AppleInsider is nothing but clickbait, they misreport things like this and get two breeds of people - mindless fandroids defending them, and the equally mindless apple fanboys praising it.
    Just disagreeing with DED's style of writing is enough to get you down-voted. I thoroughly enjoy all the Apple products I own and recommend them to others, but I do not need DED to constantly justify my purchases by bashing other companies in the style he does. 
    If it annoys you so much, have you considered not reading his articles?
    netmage
  • Reply 55 of 125
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    gatorguy said:
    The issue isn't a specific exploit. It's the fact that it will never be fixed for most Android users, making it much more likely that over the next ?? years it will serve as another open vulnerability to exploit by local apps the user installs.

The fact that an exploit is so broadly installed and won't be fixed is a huge difference between PC Linux and the supposedly open Android, and the reaction by the public to this is that it's a problem Google hasn't address since first taking a stab at it back years ago. Switching is accelerating. This is a pretty clear trend.
    Where did Google say it wouldn't be fixed? I hadn't read that. 

Can you read? I'm going with.. No... Going by that response.
    If it can't be updated, it can be fixed; simple isn't it BUD.

No one can be as dense as you are willingly; so, it must all be a little game you're playing...
    Have fun by yourself; I'm no longer playing your dumb game.

• Reply 56 of 125
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    williamh said:
    Is this sarcasm or not? 
    What do you think? You've posted here 180 times. That makes you a regular. What does your sarcasm meter tell you?
    Yes, yes, yes.  I was trying to be unproductive while standing on an 1-hour long commuter bus ride (everybody had to leave early to beat the snow I guess.)  I couldn't be bothered to check your profile etc.  By the time I figured it out I was so pleased with my "witty remarks" that just had to post them anyway.
  • Reply 57 of 125
    sog35 said:
    You are truly living in La la land. There's more chance of Tim marrying Kim Kardashian than that happening. Your constant ramblings about the share price and loathing of Tim as a CEO has finally unhinged your mind. 
    Suggesting a strategy of destroying your own margins by deliberately making an inferior product and then letting others make the hardware and have all that negativity.. 
    Its called thinking out of the box.

Why would this move destroy margins? It would in fact increase margins. Apple would simply license iOS to a hardware maker, end of story. Those license fees would be almost 100% profit. Of course the phones would have to be built at Apple's specs. 

This sub brand would only be sold in Africa, Eastern Europe, South America, Central America. In those countries less than 1% of the population can afford an iPhone. Why not sell $250-$300 phones there and make $50 profit on license fees?

Are you being serious? You want Apple to re-enter the high-volume, low-profit margin business like they had in the 1990s? When they put themselves on the verge of bankruptcy?
    singularitynetmage
  • Reply 59 of 125
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    tundraboy said:
    staticx57 said:
    Just disagreeing with DED's style of writing is enough to get you down-voted. I thoroughly enjoy all the Apple products I own and recommend them to others, but I do not need DED to constantly justify my purchases by bashing other companies in the style he does. 
    If it annoys you so much, have you considered not reading his articles?
    Letting it go uncontested implies that the entire community approves of his behavior. His sockpuppetry, ad hominems, strawmans, etc. is simply sinking to the level of the Apple haters rather than helping promote or defend Apple. We can do better, and I think we should expect better of everyone, not just our opponents. We might never win over the haters, but returning evil for evil isn't the way to go, and the people "on the fence" can be swayed by our behavior too, positively or negatively, depending on the behavior.
    edited January 2016 staticx57hmmcrowleysingularitygatorguydasanman69rhinotuff
  • Reply 60 of 125
    Google doesn't care. Samsung just wants to sell you another phone so they won't let you update anyways.
    That's why more and more people are choosing the iPhone. Because Apple updates all the time for performance, security, reliability, and more.
    If you like malware you will love Android. If you like open as in no security, you will love Android.
    propod