Latest Apple TV commercial puts focus on apps

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2016
Apple posted a fun new Apple TV commercial to the Web on Thursday showing off the tvOS App Store's deep selection of apps, games, over-the-top content streamers, interactive shopping services and more.

Continuing with its campaign theme "The Future of TV is Apps," Apple's latest spot highlights a number of popular tvOS titles, from the first-party Music app to subscription services HBO Now and Showtime.

Like past Apple TV spots, Thursday's ad is done up in an experimental style not seen in commercials dedicated to other Apple product lines. Apple is obviously playing to a different demographic, appealing to customers in the market for a family-oriented set-top box.

In today's Apple TV commercial, viewers see the small black box morph into physical embodiments of tvOS apps. Some of the more inspired transformations include the Iron Throne from HBO's hit show "Game of Thrones," and a pizza box for grubHub. Apple managed to squeeze in references to Netflix, Watch ESPN, Asphalt 8, Disney Infinity, Gilt, grubHub, Showtime, Crossy Road, HBO Now and Fox Now.

App support is a tentpole feature for the fourth-generation Apple TV, which debuted in October alongside an all-new tvOS operating system, Siri integration, a touchpad remote and other enhancements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Well done
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Ummmm....more like the present of tv.
    bdkennedy1002
  • Reply 3 of 10
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Nicely done.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    <LOL> that was really good
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Yeah, Apple has burned me out on ever thinking I was going to use the future of anything. I have a Sony Bravia TV that has hundreds of apps and Playstation.  10 years ago it may have been the future of TV, but now everyone else has caught up.
    [Deleted User]braderunner
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Now if only Eddy Cue could present the networks an offer which they can't refuse...

C'mon, Hollywood...most people don't give a shit about the majority of channels in the standard cable bundle.  Skinny bundle, users pick and choose the channels they want in their bundle and Apple will sort out how you asshats get paid.  Not that hard.  Most of your channels are garbage anyways, just shutter the ones no one is into.
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    bdkennedy said:
    Yeah, Apple has burned me out on ever thinking I was going to use the future of anything. I have a Sony Bravia TV that has hundreds of apps and Playstation.  10 years ago it may have been the future of TV, but now everyone else has caught up.
    I believe Apple had a huge surprise for us but the content providers didn't come to a deal and Apple tossed this product out to keep up with competition and keep fans from waiting too long. Seems suddenly no one remembers the endless bi***ing from fans crying for a new AppleTV. This one was like a lollipop to shut up the baby.
    The app store had to launch soon or Apple would have lost it's foothold in this market. Opening the doors to developerrs and building the App library TODAY is essential to a successful future AppleTV.

Lack of current specs, dumbed down siri, etc. There's a reason Tim Cook didn't end the keynote with AppleTV or a "one more thing..." I feel the revolutionary AppleTV is coming, this one isn't it.

Is it the future of TV? YES! Absolutely! It just isn't there yet but be assured we'll get there very soon.

To me this is obvious. Of course I could be wrong but just look at all the evidence.
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Maybe Apple TV has been elevated to "serious hobby" but for me it's little more than a movie rental and netflix portal.

• Reply 9 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Lot can be done with Apple-TV including encouraging and working with App creators, contents producers,Cable/TV channel streamer to provide more offerings on Apple-TV. Currently, besides having cable subscriptions, some cable provider restrict streaming of their contents on Apple-TV (same works on ipad/iphone). Even today, Comcast Xfinity App, Time Warner Watch anywhere App, Amazon's Prime Instant video App not available on Apple-TV. So, hand-holding and convincing is much work ahead for Apple. Moreover, Users of Apple-TV are not vocal and complain to their cable provides, Amazon to must provide their streaming App. I am sure they will co-operate when cord-cutting frenzy accelerates..
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 10 of 10
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    This commercial is cute, clever, and entertaining. Bravo, Apple marketing!