New Samsung Pay TV ad takes shots at Apple Pay's retail reach

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    zoetmb said:

Apple may have a lot of banks signed up, but they need to do a better job getting retailers and restaurants to sign up.   
    Many retailers upgraded their terminals just recently to read chip cards but for some reason most did not opt for NFC capable devices. Probably a cost savings. Anyway, they are not likely to upgrade again for quite awhile. Verifone makes a nice portable terminal, VX 690,  that supports Apple Pay and would be ideal for restaurants.
    chia
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Here is the ad.

www.youtube.com/embed/czcb5dXjlZA
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 23 of 62
    am8449 said:
    On a side note: has anyone ever used Apple Pay at a restaurant? 

I can't imagine giving the waiter my iPhone to scan at the register. Do they bring the terminal to you?
    In Europe and Canada I've seen many times they bring the new handheld terminal to you so the card doesn't leave the owners hand.  Esp with the chip card readers 
    chia
  • Reply 24 of 62
    supadav03 said:

I dislike Samsung's practices as much as the next guy, but that simply isn't true.

The ORIGINAL implementation for LoopPay allowed cards to be used with any terminal WITHOUT the bank having to change their backend software. In this case the card number was literally broadcast over the air where anyone could see it. This also caused Chip/PIN terminals to give you the "Please insert your Chip card" message, as if you tried to swipe your card (Chip cards can't be swiped in terminals that accept Chips). LoopPay was also updating their system to allow Chip/PIN cards to work with MST by having banks update their software to support it.

Samsung decided to not use this feature (allow any cards to work) and went with the same tokenization system Apple Pay uses. This immediately prevented the use of the majority of cards as now the banks have to update their software to work with Samsung Pay (just like they do with Apple Pay).

Where Samsung is being deceitful is claiming their system works at almost ANY terminal. While this is true, if your bank isn't signed on then your card won't work. In short, Samsung is only telling you HALF the story. IF your bank is signed up THEN Samsung Pay will work on almost any terminal.

Last time I checked Samsung had 30 something banks signed on. Apple Pay is well over 900 (closer to 1,000). Samsung rollout of banks is going slow, and it's a race between how fast they can sign up banks and how fast merchants start updating their terminals. At some point in the future, Samsung Pay will no longer have any advantage because magstripe terminals will disappear. So it's going to be tough for Samsung to convince banks to update their software for a system that's being phased out. Meanwhile, Apple Pay is trying to get banks to update their systems for the newest technology (NFC terminals).

Pretty easy to see who will come out on top in this race.
    Are you sure this is accurate? I work for First Data and we handle the tokenization and encryption for Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay. As far as i know the tokenization/encryption is only on Samsung Pay purchases using NFC. Any purchases using MST (magnetic secure transmission) are done exactly like physically credit cards meaning all your information is sent over exactly as it is on the card (no token # instead of read CC #, etc).

I don't see how MST could simply send over your card data as-is. If that were the case, then Chip/PIN cards wouldn't work with MST as the terminal will just think you swiped a card, and it will ask you to insert your card instead. Samsung Pay users have been posting that their Chip/PIN cards work on older terminals (if their bank has signed up).

Unless Samsung has had banks update TWO separate items (tokenization for NFC and some other as-yet unknown update to allow MST transmission of Chip/PIN cards without them getting rejected).

Regardless, in the best case scenario (MST is just as secure), Samsung is still fighting a losing battle. Their MST is only a short-term solution that only makes sense in a single market (the US).

MST would have been a fantastic idea if it came out 5 years ago.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 25 of 62
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    And unless Katz's has recently reorganized their layout, the register station in the ad isn't real. The real cash register is right by the door on the opposite wall.   It was probably too cramped to shoot the ad there. 
  • Reply 26 of 62
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    lkrupp said:
    Samsung is just playing on people’s ignorance. For many convenience trumps security every time. I’m always amazed by the number of people I know who walk around with their phones unlocked with no PIN code or even TouchID. It’s too inconvenient to unlock their phones when they want to use them. I also amazed by attitudes that assume the bank or the credit card company will have to deal with fraud so security is not really necessary anyway. So yes, Samsung does have something to crow about here. You can use Samsung Pay wherever credit cards are accepted with the same security risks as your physical card.
    Well, since so few banks use their system, they are basically talking crap. More terminals can use it, but hey make sure you bank can too.... Doesn't sound so good.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Samsung has a valid ad. I live in a 1MM plus metropolitan area and almost no merchants take Apple Pay. The only one of the stores I routinely shop at that uses AP is Rite-Aid.  There is a limit to how many times you can go to a drugstore to use Apple Pay. 
    There are no McDonalds in your town... Seems unlikely.
    With the mandate to switch to chip/pin in the last few months, the number of Apple pay compatible terminals have exploded,
    suddenly newtoncornchip
  • Reply 28 of 62
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    supadav03 said:
    Are you sure this is accurate? I work for First Data and we handle the tokenization and encryption for Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay. As far as i know the tokenization/encryption is only on Samsung Pay purchases using NFC. Any purchases using MST (magnetic secure transmission) are done exactly like physically credit cards meaning all your information is sent over exactly as it is on the card (no token # instead of read CC #, etc).
    As far as you know?
    You are truly a First Data employee working in the relevant area?

A five minute search on Google using the terms Apple Pay, tokenisation and First Data led me to this First Data Presentation about Apple Pay:

https://www.firstdata.com/downloads/marketing-fs/First-Data-Integrated-Tokenization-Services-Webinar.pdf

The presentation itself declares how "Apple Pay will leverage the global tokenisation standard"

It then goes into great technical detail about how both tokenisation and Apple Pay work.

So why, as an employee, are you not aware of this?
    Thank you for your candour.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Not o
    am8449 said:

I can't imagine giving the waiter my iPhone to scan at the register. Do they bring the terminal to you?
    Applebee's has the terminal right at your table. And the food's great!

Not so sure aabout the food. Not terrible but certainly not great.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    am8449 said:

Non-issue unless you're in USA. Virtually everywhere, EXCEPT in the US, the terminal is brought to you because customers don't like their Credit Cards leaving their sight. This practice has continued with NFC payments as well. I use Apple Pay at McD's drive through, never had my phone over, they put the terminal out the window. It has a handle for employee's to hold out the Window. Most of the new Terminals are Wireless anyways.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    am8449 said:

Non-issue 1) Apple Pay requires the customer's interaction (Touch ID). You literally cannot just give your phone over to pay unless you give them your passcode.. which isn't happening ..

2) Virtually everywhere, EXCEPT in the US, the terminal is brought to you because customers don't like their Credit Cards leaving their sight. This practice has continued with NFC payments as well.

I use Apple Pay at McD's drive through, never hand my phone over, they put the terminal out the window. It has a handle for employee's to hold out the Window. Most of the new Terminals are Wireless anyways.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 32 of 62
    sog35 said:
    Samsung Pay: We are accepted at stores that have credit card terminals that are unsafe and easily open to fraud.

besides the point I've read many articles that said loop pay is extremely unreliable. To the point its not even worth using.
    That claim is simply not true... Samung pay makes paying at EMV/NFC enabled and non-EMV/NFC terminals more secure because ALL Samsung Pay transactions are tokenized. Samsung Pay uses tokenization and bio-metrics, and is isolated from the OS just like Apple Pay. I've used it at countless places and it works nearly everywhere, and works well. The exceptions have been at gas pumps and ATMs. Gas pumps in particular do not work with Samsung Pay because they perform a pre-authorization for a fixed amount and then a subsequent authorization for the final amount, which tokenized payments do not allow.

As for Loop Pay, it doesn't use tokenization and doesn't work with EMV enabled terminals as of yet. That means LoopPay is as secure as a plain old swipe, but it functions very well as long as you aren't trying to use LoopPay at an EMV enabled terminal. I used LoopPay for several months year before last and it pretty much worked everywhere I ever tried it, including gas pumps.

edited January 2016 gatorguy
  • Reply 33 of 62
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    adrayven said:
    am8449 said:

Non-issue unless you're in USA. Virtually everywhere, EXCEPT in the US, the terminal is brought to you because customers don't like their Credit Cards leaving their sight. This practice has continued with NFC payments as well. I use Apple Pay at McD's drive through, never hand my phone over, they put the terminal out the window. It has a handle for employee's to hold out the Window. Most of the new Terminals are Wireless anyways.
    US restaurants are going to be one of the very last holdouts for Pay because of the ritual, and because of the cost to outfit a restaurant with multiple mobile card readers. Moreover, does Pay have a provision to leave tips yet? That will be a big stumbling block for US restaurants as well.  
  • Reply 34 of 62
    mac_128 said:

US restaurants are going to be one of the very last holdouts for Pay because of the ritual, and because of the cost to outfit a restaurant with multiple mobile card readers. Moreover, does Pay have a provision to leave tips yet? That will be a big stumbling block for US restaurants as well.  
    In resort areas I have seen an increase in gratuity included in the bill. Doing so would save a lot complexity for everyone. Using Apple Pay with the tip already included would be much faster too. Right now they have to make two transactions in a restaurant. First to hold the funds and then when you write in the tip amount, they have to run the final transaction. Any restaurant that needs multiple portable terminals should definitely be able to afford it. One would probably suffice for most places since that is how many they have been using. 
  • Reply 35 of 62
    I've used  Pay at restaurants that are part of the Open Table reservation system.  It allows you to pay for your meal through the Open Table app using  Pay.
    cornchip
  • Reply 36 of 62
    chia said:
    supadav03 said:
    As far as you know?
    You are truly a First Data employee working in the relevant area?

A five minute search on Google using the terms Apple Pay, tokenisation and First Data led me to this First Data Presentation about Apple Pay:

https://www.firstdata.com/downloads/marketing-fs/First-Data-Integrated-Tokenization-Services-Webinar.pdf

The presentation itself declares how "Apple Pay will leverage the global tokenisation standard"

It then goes into great technical detail about how both tokenisation and Apple Pay work.

So why, as an employee, are you not aware of this?
    Thank you for your candour.
    My comment was not about Apple Pay but about tokenization being used for Samsung NFC payments and not Samsung MST payments. That was my understanding. And while I do work for First Data I am not associated with the department that provides these services. Although, as a whole, we were all shown a presentation on it because First Data was very excited to be associated with these companies and wanted to make all employees aware.

Obviously we all know Apple Pay uses tokenization and encryption, that's basically the #1 reason to use it! For the added security.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    adamski said:
    In Canada they bring the terminal to you, about 99% of the time in my experience.
    I live in California and Apple Pay is still very limited. Most of the restaurants I often go to don't accept Apple Pay, and restaurants in the U.S. never brings to terminal to the customer.
    Really?  Where in California? 

I I live in Los Angeles..  Here's where I use Apple Pay so far and for what items..

1) Whole Foods Market
    2) Chevron Texaco 
    3) Subway
    4) McDonalds
    5) Petco
    6) Trader Joes
    7) Rite Aid
    8) Walgreens
    9) Best Buy
    10) Open Table App - allows use at MANY restaurants
    11) Target App
    12) Gelsons Markets 
    13) Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park, rolling out now
    14) Five Guys Burgers
    15) El Pollo Loco 
    16) Macys
    17) Jamba Juice
    18) Johnny Rockets
    19) Homegoods, TJMax
    20) Forever 21
    21) Microsoft Store -
  • Reply 38 of 62
    I'm sure the retailer would completely understand, that since it bypasses the Chip & Pin, using the magnetic strip information, that he is responsible for ANY fraudulent transactions!
  • Reply 39 of 62
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    supadav03 said:
    My comment was not about Apple Pay but about tokenization being used for Samsung NFC payments and not Samsung MST payments. That was my understanding. And while I do work for First Data I am not associated with the department that provides these services. Although, as a whole, we were all shown a presentation on it because First Data was very excited to be associated with these companies and wanted to make all employees aware.

Obviously we all know Apple Pay uses tokenization and encryption, that's basically the #1 reason to use it! For the added security.

Thank you.  I re-read your initial statement and realised the ambiguity, I had read it as only Samsung Pay offered the tokenisation rather than as you had meant, that tokenisation can only be used with the NFC aspect of Samsung Pay but not with the MST aspect.

Thank you and your company for implementing a good service!

I use Apple Pay frequently in the UK; looking forward to using it when I'm next in North America.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Why the fuck are some things in the US so backwards?

Here in Canada, 99% of terminals are chip and pin or wireless, and 99% of the time they bring it to you.