Rumor: Apple's new 4-inch handset will be called 'iPhone 5se'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    clemynx said:
    The logical name would be 6C. Or 6-something. But 5-something doesn't make any sense. 
    How DARE you bring logic into a discussion about iPhone naming! For shame! What do YOU know about anything?  ;)
  • Reply 22 of 76

WHY???...
  • Reply 23 of 76
    Mr_Grey said:
    sog35 said:
    IMO, Apple should stop making iPhone6s and just sell the iPhone6. This will move more people to buy the iPhone7.
    The level of nonsense in your post is very high indeed, but this takes the prize I think.  

The iPhone 6s is not only a completely different phone than the iPhone 6, it's far better.  It's faster, it's stronger, it has more features, it has a better screen ... the list goes on and on.  The difference between an iPhone 6s and an iPhone 6 is probably the biggest difference between a regular and an "s" series of any model of Apple's iPhones yet made.  

The idea that they should stop selling it in favour of the old model, (and then introduce it back again a year later anyway?), is just insane nonsense.  
    You didn't understand the point of the original poster. He mentioned the dismissal of iPhone 6s on behalf of iPhone 7, take this relative to iPhone 7. There is nothing to introduce back, there will be iPhone 7.

A positioning like 5se, 6, and 7 seems very rational to me...

My point here is, the iPhone is DONE... There is no way to further develop this little dinky gadget, without some breakthrough battery, chip and screen tech. An expected enhancement may be the removal of the home button and full screen front with 3D touch interaction.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    iPhone Classic.
    webweasel
  • Reply 25 of 76
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    razormaid said:
    I'm not buying into this for one minute!  How stupid would it be to take everything inside a iPhone 6 and give it a name that's now 2 years old. Talk about confusing people who want the latest edition in a smaller form factor. So each Apple employee has to stop and explain the number "5" has nothing to do with it?  This is in fact an iPhone 6 mini but we used a number from 2 years ago which next year will probably be retired anyway?  Nope. Even Apple wouldn't be that stupid. I believe there will be a 4" model but there's no way they're going to slap a "5" anywhere near it. To the lay person they would just buy the 4" Samsung because at least it has a 6 in the name. Who comes up with the crap?
    Exactly if they are committed to making flagship phone in this size then it should have a unique product name.
    I think the 'c' would have done better if the name gave a better sense of what the product distinction was.
    Like the Mini/Nano have been used in the before to make the marketing message clear.

I could see them using "Edition" for the smaller phone and "Sports" for a plastic cased, cheaper and more hardy even waterproof version of the 6. Although that still feels wrong as it diminishes the Edition Watch branding a bit to much.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 26 of 76
    Mr_Grey said:
    The level of nonsense in your post is very high indeed, but this takes the prize I think.  

The iPhone 6s is not only a completely different phone than the iPhone 6, it's far better.  It's faster, it's stronger, it has more features, it has a better screen ... the list goes on and on.  The difference between an iPhone 6s and an iPhone 6 is probably the biggest difference between a regular and an "s" series of any model of Apple's iPhones yet made.  

The idea that they should stop selling it in favour of the old model, (and then introduce it back again a year later anyway?), is just insane nonsense.  
    You didn't understand the point of the original poster. He mentioned the dismissal of iPhone 6s on behalf of iPhone 7, take this relative to iPhone 7. There is nothing to introduce back, there will be iPhone 7.

My point here is, the iPhone is DONE... There is no way to further develop this little dinky gadget, without some breakthrough battery, chip and screen tech. An expected enhancement may be the removal of the home button and full screen front with 3D touch interaction.
    Well, I'm not responsible for people's poor writing skills.  

The poster clearly stated that this year (2016) the iPhone 7 should be introduced alongside the new smaller phone, as well as the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+.  Then, they state that next year (2017) the iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s+ should be sold along with the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s plus.  

So, they want Apple to stop selling the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s+ in favour of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ in 2016, and then put them back on the market in 2017 alongside the "s versions" of the iPhone 7.  It's nonsense from start to finish.  I'll grant you that it's probably just a stupid mistake, but that's what they said. 

You also undermine your entire argument by putting that silly "the iPhone is done" thing on the end.  Thats just crazy.  

For starters, there is new battery tech "just around the corner" (within five to eight years).  Radical new screen tech has also been predicted within two to three years.  Additionally, there are the rumours of a new casing material for iPhone 7, which if true would be the biggest change, and likely the biggest advance in years.   And that's just the stuff we know about. 

Even if they just add pencil support ... Boom.  Everyone needs a new iPhone.  
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 27 of 76
    The iPhone 5se is made out of cheaper components, which tells us that SE stands for Samsung Edition.
  • Reply 28 of 76
    Mr_Grey said:

Well, I'm not responsible for people's poor writing skills.  

The poster clearly stated that this year (2016) the iPhone 7 should be introduced alongside the new smaller phone, as well as the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+.  Then, they state that next year (2017) the iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s+ should be sold along with the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s plus.  

So, they want Apple to stop selling the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s+ in favour of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ in 2016, and then put them back on the market in 2017 alongside the "s versions" of the iPhone 7.  It's nonsense from start to finish.  I'll grant you that it's probably just a stupid mistake, but that's what they said. 

You also undermine your entire argument by putting that silly "the iPhone is done" thing on the end.  Thats just crazy.  

For starters, there is new battery tech "just around the corner" (within five to eight years).  Radical new screen tech has also been predicted within two to three years.  Additionally, there are the rumours of a new casing material for iPhone 7, which if true would be the biggest change, and likely the biggest advance in years.   And that's just the stuff we know about. 

Even if they just add pencil support ... Boom.  Everyone needs a new iPhone.  
    Why do you struggle so much to express yourself? We heard you the first time...
  • Reply 29 of 76
    If it's a 5s special edition, shouldn't it be 5sse? 5se sounds more like "5s enhanced" to me. 
  • Reply 30 of 76
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Oh God I was hoping this "5se" rumor died.

"5" is over.

"5se" will be released the same year as iPhone 7.

WHY would Apple want an old "5" iPhone introduced when "7" is around the corner. Besides confusing the consumer it also shows off how "old" the new phone is.

Waiting for the new 3.5" iPhone 4cse next year!!!1
    clemynxasdasdchia
  • Reply 31 of 76
    Ugh!! Just make a damn 4" iPhone 6 already.
  • Reply 32 of 76
    mytdave said:
    Ugh!! Just make a damn 4" iPhone 6 already.
    I wish I'm wrong but probably they cannot do that... 6 series' design may be too thin for a reasonable size battery. For a 4 inch form factor the 5s design seems better.
  • Reply 33 of 76
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    thrang said:
    Great... iPhone 5s is the best iPhone design yet, a legacy of Steve Jobs. If iPhone 5s is a business-class design, iPhone 6 series is a student-class design. In order to make the screen larger, they removed all the eye-catching features of the design and came-up with a smashed chewing-gum looking mediocre design...

iPhone 5se will be the flagship iPhone just like the iPad Mini which is the flagship iPad.
    You're nuts. The 6s is an incredible design and feels incredible in your hand.
    No need to use ad hominem. The 6 has a huge problem, its protruding camera which ruins the feel of the whole device.
  • Reply 34 of 76

sog35 said:
    clemynx said:
    Indeed the 5S is the most beautiful to me too. 
    Imagine a 5S with an OLED display and no wallpaper : a black monolith, perfection. 

Written on my 5S. 
    Biased much?

I own both the 5s and the 6+.  The 6 series is by far the nicer phone to look at and hold.

The 5s is too edgy and fat and is actually uncomfortable to hold.  
    In your opinion. My bf has a 6S and I find it too big, harder to hold, slippery and less beautiful. The idea behind the 5, the monolith, works. The idea behind the 6, the rounded monolith, doesn't work because of the camera. From the front it's beautiful, but the back is ugly imo.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    clemynx said:
    The logical name would be 6C. Or 6-something. But 5-something doesn't make any sense. 
    How DARE you bring logic into a discussion about iPhone naming! For shame! What do YOU know about anything? 
    P

Well I know nothing but if it's called 5 something I will be in shock !

edited January 2016
  • Reply 36 of 76
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cali said:
    Oh God I was hoping this "5se" rumor died.

"5" is over.

"5se" will be released the same year as iPhone 7.

WHY would Apple want an old "5" iPhone introduced when "7" is around the corner. Besides confusing the consumer it also shows off how "old" the new phone is.

Waiting for the new 3.5" iPhone 4cse next year!!!1
    Why does BMW sell series 3 5 and 7, how confusting is it really? Not much.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    clemynx said:
    How DARE you bring logic into a discussion about iPhone naming! For shame! What do YOU know about anything?  ;)
    You'd call it the iPhone 9. Or 10. Or some such. 

Thar said 5xx makes no sense if it has the internal components of a 6 series. It's a two year old moniker. Would be disasterous branding. I like the idea of a mini. 
  • Reply 38 of 76
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    clemynx said:
    thrang said:
    You're nuts. The 6s is an incredible design and feels incredible in your hand.
    No need to use ad hominem. The 6 has a huge problem, its protruding camera which ruins the feel of the whole device.
    Really? "huge problem", you're exaggeration invites ridicule.
    There is no option for a thin phone with a 12MP camera and sensor that size to not get that bump;
     are you waiting for Apple to make a thicker phone? Good luck on that.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 39 of 76
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    This ain't no rumor.

Mark Gurman is the man. He's what Appleinsider tries to portray what Ming Kuo is.

Mark Gurman is a true insider.

I like this phone. Nice choice. Since it has a smaller screen the A8 should make this phone blazing fast.

iPhone 7+ $750
    iPhone 7  $650
    iPhone 6+ $650 (same price as now, LOL, Apple did this same trick with iPad Air2 this year)
    iPhone 6  $550 (same price as now, LOL)
    iPhone 5se $450

What a killer line up. 

iPhone 5 - Special Edition. nice.  Only question is if they will still make iPhone6s?

IMO, Apple should stop making iPhone6s and just sell the iPhone6. This will move more people to buy the iPhone7.

Then next year

iPhone 7s+ $750
    iPhone 7s $650
    iPhone 6s+ $650
    iPhone 6s $550
    iPhone 6 $450
    iPhone 6se $450
    Do you finish joking? Where are 6S/6S+ in this year line up on top?
    canukstorm
  • Reply 40 of 76
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Mr_Grey said:
    sog35 said:

Sog35's comments became irrelevant since AAPL lost 20% its value. I don't know what the fck did he smoke when he posted this comment. Last year, his comments suggested that Apple would killed 6+ or 6 or both because they would cannibalize 6S/6S+ sale since they're virtually the same. Guess what? HE WAS WRONG! This year, his suggested Apple to kill 6S/6S+, the best selling handset on the market with awesome new Rose gold color and 3D Touch. He's out of mind. What about his prediction of iMediaCenter or iHub craps?...full of shi.t.
    edited January 2016 dasanman69nolamacguyMr_Grey