Production already underway for Apple's new 4-inch 'iPhone 6c' - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member

jmey267 said:
    Mr_Grey said:
    AppleInsider is probably backing the wrong horse in the naming game here.  It's been said before by me and many others, but "iPhone 6c" makes absolutely zero sense as a name for this purported device.  It's is a ridiculous name for a device that has none of the iPhone 6 level features, and doesn't (as far as we know) come in multiple colours.  

I'm not convinced on "iPhone 5se" either, but it makes some kind of sense for a device that is based on an iPhone 5s.  
    6C makes sense to me, its "compact" version
    Congrats.  That's the first response to my assertions that's actually sensible.  :)

I still favour "iPhone 6 mini," and I have a sneaking suspicion that it will actually end up being "iPhone 5se," but your idea does make sense.  
    balu
  • Reply 42 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cali said:
    I've always believed a mid cycle "c" phone would disrupt competitors and keep Apple in the minds of the media and fans pretty much year round. Would obviously help Apple's sales post-holiday season too.

Hope this is true. A March launch would be perfect.
    What competitors? How much more can they be disrupted? 
    ronn
  • Reply 43 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tenly said:
    Mr_Grey said:
    The bolded items are irrelevant to the definition.  Apple's customers don't generally buy the phone based on spec'y things like that.  

The primary selling feature of the iPhone 5 was the new screen size
    The primary selling feature of the iPhone 5s was TouchID
    The primary selling feature of the iPhone 6 was the larger screen.
    The primary selling feature(s) of the iPhone 6s was Force Touch and a stronger body material.  

The new smaller iPhone, if it exists, is therefore much more a "5" than a "6" it seems to me.  It certainly doesn't seem that it will have any of the features that were the primary selling points of the iPhone 6 or 6s.  It will however have TouchID and the same screen dimensions and general size of the iPhone 5.  

It's all speculation at this point anyway.  It could turn out to have ForceTouch for example.  That alone would justify the "6." Or all this could be diversion and neither name will be used.  No one really knows and Apple has a history of doing wacky things.  

It does also kind of make sense marketing-wise that it might be "iPhone 5se" because the target market is exactly those people out there with an iPhone 5 in their hands right now.  Those are the people that Apple is hoping to push to upgrade with this device.  I think the segment of the market that is going to downgrade from a 6 series phone to a smaller phone is probably very small.  This is an upgrade for iPhone 5 users.  
    There is no Force touch on the 6s. Force touch is a feature found on the Apple Watch - and as far as I know is binary in operation.   You're either pressing it or you're not.  The 6s feature you're incorrectly referring to as "force touch" is actually called "3D Touch" which can differentiate between many different levels of pressure.
    It's the same thing under different names. 
  • Reply 44 of 70

Is das nicht ein iPhone von Schnitzelpusskrankengescheitmeyer?

Ja das ist ein iPhone von Schnitzelpusskrankengescheitmeyer

Ist das nicht ein incredibly long name to have to try and say?

Ja das ist ein incredibly long name to have to try and say

iPhone this, great big kiss, iPhone that, Wakko's hat

Oh, du schöne, oh, du schöne, oh, du schöne, schnitzelbank

edited January 2016
  • Reply 45 of 70
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Mr_Grey said:
    AppleInsider is probably backing the wrong horse in the naming game here.  It's been said before by me and many others, but "iPhone 6c" makes absolutely zero sense as a name for this purported device.  It's is a ridiculous name for a device that has none of the iPhone 6 level features, and doesn't (as far as we know) come in multiple colours.  

I'm not convinced on "iPhone 5se" either, but it makes some kind of sense for a device that is based on an iPhone 5s.  
    You're probably right, but the 'C' in iPhone 6C (if that's the name) could stand for 'compact' as its purportedly a smaller 4" vs 4.7" version of the iPhone 6.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    mike1 said:
    Interesting rendering that has the display wrapping around the home button.
    That rendering his hideous and ridiculous to boot. IF Touch ID gets integrated into the display it's not going to be a physical button with a silver or gold ring.
    Time will tell.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    I bet they held it off until 6s/6s+ A9 chip supply/demand was under control. Don't want to sacrifice a higher end sale. Once the decrease in spring was forecasted internally (likely in Nov/Dec) a go was made to release this to help bridge the gap. Timing seems right on to me. We will see soon enough!
  • Reply 48 of 70
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    cnocbui said:
    But emerging markets don't want a small screened phone, they want a large screen because the phone is a do-everything device.  That is why Samsung phablets were such a run away success.  within the last week I exchanged messages with someone wherein I suggested they do something on a PC because similar software was not available on a mobile platform.  They replied they only had a phone and didn't really know anyone who had a PC.  Think they were in India.

This is more a device suited to developed markets for people who don't want an S6 sized phone.
    That's a good point. On the other hand, how do we know that people are as reliant on mobile computing in India as we are? I have a hard time imagining the average Indian running around posting to Facebook and Instagram all day. And a mobile phone is poor substitute for a work computer. If the infrastructure in India is such that they really only need the ability to text, e-mail and make phone calls, with the ability to sync to their work desktops, or home computers for contacts and notes, then why sell them more than they need? I have to imagine Apple is not creating a 4" phone for emerging markets in a vacuum and they have some data that backs up this decision. Apple doesn't sell to the bottom-feeder Android market now, so why would they create a phone that doesn't serve the market, which also caters to the lowest common-denominator? Apple is still catering to the upper middle class and elite customers in their markets, it's just that in emerging countries, that standard is lower than it is here, and quite possible the needs are totally different than the average 6S customer in the USA.

Mr_Grey said:

The iPhone 6 has A8, 1 GB ram, 8mp camera, NFC, finger print. What is the 6c rumored to have?
    The 6c is rumored to have an A9 and 2GB RAM, 12mp camera, NFC & touch ID. And I frankly believe that is what Apple will be offering in the US, whether or not this "5se" is sold alongside it or not. Apple is still going to sell a $450 4.7" phone when the 7 comes out as well. 

• Reply 49 of 70
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Mr_Grey said:
    fallenjt said:
    6c makes perfect sense. No one confirmed so far tha "c" meant "color". Device with form factor of iPhone 6 is enough to call it 6c...A8, 1GB of RAM is the same as in iPhone 6.
    Disagree. The only reason to call it 6 anything is it's general physical resemblance to the 6 series.  That makes some sort of sense which is why I said that my preference would probably be "iPhone 6 mini." 

Your argument about the A8 is unconvincing given that what the processor is inside is still up in the air and the internals are currently unknown.  As recently as yesterday, 9to5Mac reported that multiple models with multiple different processors were being tested.  Also as I've noted previously, the internal specs are something that the average consumer doesn't give a rat's behind about and are not the features the phone is "sold" on.  

Finally, Apple doesn't generally explain what the letters mean, but to argue that the "c" didn't stand for colour, when colourful plastic bodies were one of the major selling points and design features is a bit weak IMO.  What, pray-tell does the "c" stand for, if not for colour?  It certainly isn't "cheaper." I suppose it could stand for "carbonate" as in the polycarbonate it's made from.  Some people say it stands for "choice"but that's pretty lame and unlikely.   
    It definitely doesn't stand for color unless Apple says it stands for color.  Until Apple says otherwise it's just an arbitrary identifier or possibly the initial of somebody's wife or child.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    tenly said:
    There is no Force touch on the 6s. Force touch is a feature found on the Apple Watch - and as far as I know is binary in operation.   You're either pressing it or you're not.  The 6s feature you're incorrectly referring to as "force touch" is actually called "3D Touch" which can differentiate between many different levels of pressure.
    No it's not.  Force touch only provides "off/on" (pressed/not pressed) feedback.  3D Touch responds to multiple pressures based on how hard you press it.  Saying it's the same thing is like saying a light switch and a dimmer are the same thing.
  • Reply 51 of 70

I wonder ...

In our household, the iPhone Upgrade Program (0% interest financing) was the great equalizer.  When the iPhone 6S was announced, my youngest grandson said he wanted the latest iPhone instead of a hand-me-down -- and was willing to pay for it (withdraw money from his savings).  I investigated, and  suggested he could buy it over time and pay for it by doing chores ...

Hearing this, the other 2 grandkids decided to do the same -- as did I.

We have an iPhone 6 still under contract with AT&T (ends this Sept).  Then, we all plan to use the Upgrade Program:
    • new iPhone every 12-month cycle
    • AppleCare protection
    • unlocked phone
    • free financing
    • no carrier lock-in
    • no carrier hassle, ETF, etc.
    • costs less than carrier plans

As I understand it, the Upgrade program is currently US only -- I wonder if Apple plans to offer it in other countries, both established and emerging?

edited January 2016 palominecali
  • Reply 52 of 70
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    JamesBB said:
    cali said:
    "Would obviously help Apple's sales post-holiday season too..."

Feb-Mar IS the holiday season. This is clearly targeted at Chinese New Year celebrations.
    iPhone sales experience a steep drop in sales after December. YES, I've thought about Chinese New Year but it's usually early February right?
    March is perfect because it's 6 months after the flagship releases.

mike1 said:
    Interesting rendering that has the display wrapping around the home button.
    That rendering his hideous and ridiculous to boot. IF Touch ID gets integrated into the display it's not going to be a physical button with a silver or gold ring.
    Funny I drew up a design VERY similar to that, except TouchID alaso had a round screen on it. The Idea was to add an extra row of apps and have your favorites at the bottom. The Home button/TouchID would either have an extra app or the setting menu. Tapping it activates the app/menu and clicking the button activates the Home screen etc. The bottom "screen" would only be visible on the home menu. Otherwise it fades to black.
    I would post a design but I'm not good at computer graphics.

Mr_Grey said:
    The iPhone 6 has A8, 1 GB ram, 8mp camera, NFC, finger print. What is the 6c rumored to have?
    The bolded items are irrelevant to the definition.  Apple's customers don't generally buy the phone based on spec'y things like that.  

The primary selling feature(s) of the iPhone 6s was Force Touch and a stronger body material.  

The new smaller iPhone, if it exists, is therefore much more a "5" than a "6" it seems to me.  It certainly doesn't seem that it will have any of the features that were the primary selling points of the iPhone 6 or 6s.  It will however have TouchID and the same screen dimensions and general size of the iPhone 5.  

It's all speculation at this point anyway.  It could turn out to have ForceTouch for example.  That alone would justify the "6." Or all this could be diversion and neither name will be used.  No one really knows and Apple has a history of doing wacky things.  

It does also kind of make sense marketing-wise that it might be "iPhone 5se" because the target market is exactly those people out there with an iPhone 5 in their hands right now.  Those are the people that Apple is hoping to push to upgrade with this device.  I think the segment of the market that is going to downgrade from a 6 series phone to a smaller phone is probably very small.  This is an upgrade for iPhone 5 users.  
    NFC/ApplePay.

Call it anything but 5xx. You realize iPhone 7 will be out soon after? Why have the number "5" alongside iPhone 7?

iPhone 6c is fine and adding anything different after the number will just confuse people. Keep it simple and familiar.

• Reply 53 of 70
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

I investigated, and  suggested he could buy it over time and pay for it by doing chores ...

Hearing this, the other 2 grandkids decided to do the same -- as did I.

So what chores will you be doing?
    ;-)
    linkman
  • Reply 54 of 70
    tenly said:
    No it's not.  Force touch only provides "off/on" (pressed/not pressed) feedback.  3D Touch responds to multiple pressures based on how hard you press it.  Saying it's the same thing is like saying a light switch and a dimmer are the same thing.

This distinction only exists in software. Apple could issue a watchOS update tomorrow that would magically turn Force Touch into 3D Touch or vice-versa. 
  • Reply 55 of 70
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tenly said:
    No it's not, but hey being wrong doesn't phase you...
  • Reply 56 of 70
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tenly said:

This distinction only exists in software. Apple could issue a watchOS update tomorrow that would magically turn Force Touch into 3D Touch or vice-versa. 
    Really, well, give me the link for that since you're so sure.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    tenly said:

Obviously it's similar technology - and obviously 3D Touch could be used as if it were Force Touch (no firmware update required) - but Force Touch can't be made to emulate 3D Touch without replacing the hardware.  It's why the 2 features have different names.  Did you think Apple just changed their minds about what to call the feature in the few months between the watch and the iPhone rollouts?  lol
    I'm also waiting to see the evidence you produce for the request @foggyhill ;made!  (Or in lieu of that, perhaps an "I'm sorry.  I was wrong" post...)
  • Reply 58 of 70
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    cali said:
    Mr_Grey said:
    tommy0guns said:
    The iPhone 6 has A8, 1 GB ram, 8mp camera, NFCfinger print. What is the 6c rumored to have?
    The bolded items are irrelevant to the definition.  Apple's customers don't generally buy the phone based on spec'y things like that.  

The new smaller iPhone, if it exists, is therefore much more a "5" than a "6" it seems to me.  It certainly doesn't seem that it will have any of the features that were the primary selling points of the iPhone 6 or 6s.  It will however have TouchID and the same screen dimensions and general size of the iPhone 5.  

It's all speculation at this point anyway.  It could turn out to have ForceTouch for example.  That alone would justify the "6." Or all this could be diversion and neithername will be used.  No one really knows and Apple has a history of doing wacky things.  

It does also kind of make sense marketing-wise that it might be "iPhone 5se" because the target market is exactly those people out there with an iPhone 5 in their hands right now.  Those are the people that Apple is hoping to push to upgrade with this device.  I think the segment of the market that is going to downgrade from a 6 series phone to a smaller phone is probably very small.  This is an upgrade for iPhone 5 users.  

NFC/ApplePay.

Call it anything but 5xx. You realize iPhone 7 will be out soon after? Why have the number "5" alongside iPhone 7?

iPhone 6c is fine and adding anything different after the number will just confuse people. Keep it simple and familiar.

Exactly, NFC is NOT the spec that Apple will market, but rather Pay, which was first exclusive to the 6 & 6 Plus.

And Mr_Grey is an idiot if he thinks the average consumer doesn't care about the camera specs. I would expect the "5se" to have an 8MP camera. But if it has Pay, then Touch ID or not, it has much more in common with the 6 than the 5. 

Also the ridiculous idea that a 5x owner is going to want to upgrade to another "5" series phone is just misguided, especially when the "5" and the extra letters after it, don't convey that it is an upgrade at all -- just more of the same. In fact, what the "5se" conveys is that it's cheap. Anyone who owns a 5x, or just bought a 5x, knows it's the cheapest, oldest phone Apple offers.

The only way calling it a "5se" makes any sense is if it's the ONLY phone Apple offers at the low end (and discontinue the 6 & 6 Plus). Then they'll have a clear hierarchy -- a 5, a 6, and a 7. But that's not what's going to happen. Apple is most definitely going to offer the 6 for $450 to draw in as many more current cheap Android users as possible. For the first time, Apple can "give away" a large screen phone for "free" on contract. They might discontinue the 6 Plus, or they might offer it for $100 more, again to pull in those Android customers who would otherwise switch Apple if they can afford it. More than likely the "5se" if it happens will be a new $350 price-point phone, primarily intended for emerging markets, but also to make Apple a more affordable option for low income earners, as well as giving low-income 4" fans an option.

What Apple isn't going to do, is shaft their customers who prefer a smaller form factor, with a low-priced, marginally upgraded 4" phone, because they will leave a lot of cash on the table from customers who could otherwise afford to spend more for a 4" phone, and will. And last I checked, those affluent customers formed the core of Apple's customer base -- not just customers who want a larger phone, or don't care about the size of their phones.

edited January 2016 tenlyradarthekat
  • Reply 59 of 70

We keep hearing disparate rumours about a new affordable iPhone.

Some rumour says it will be named the iPhone 5SE, another the 6C. Some rumours point to an A8 processor included in the 2015 iPod Touch starting at $199USD. Other rumours point to a smartphone with an A9 processor with 2GB of RAM included.

It’s quite clear that Apple is going to debut two new iPhones.

An iPhone 5SE, with an A8 processor 1GB of RAM, and an iPhone 5C polycarbonate chassis starting at $299USD.

Apple will also debut an iPhone 6C, with an A9 processor, 2GB of RAM and an iPhone 6 chassis starting at $399

Both models will include TouchID, and NFC, as Apple wants every iPhone they sell going forward to be enabled with Apple Pay, and components like the TouchID sensor costs them $5, and NFC radio costs less than a $1.

This is the exact strategy Apple laid out in their confidential presentation slides and Steve Jobs emails that got leaked to the press in 2013. Apple believes there are only two smartphone markets. 1) The larger than 4” screen and greater than $300 smartphone market, and 2) the sub $300 USD smartphone market.

"-Create low cost iPhone model based on iPod Touch to replace 3GS" - Steve Jobs

Apple’s confidential slides clearly points out that there is even greater growth in the sub $300 smartphone market than there is in the large screen market and they released two larger screen smartphones in 2014 with subsequently huge increases in revenue and profits.

It would only seem logical for Apple (A very pragmatic company) to follow the same strategy they implemented with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, and sell two additional iPhones at two price tiers they have never offered previously.

You’re wondering why Apple wouldn’t offer a $199 and $299 iPhone if they are so concerned about this sub $300 market? We’re talking about Apple that likes to maximize profits, and why play all your cards at once. $199USD and $299USD smartphones are a 2017 or 2018 strategy that will further increase growth.

C’mon Apple Insider, you guys are the best tech journalists on the planet. Even Time Magazine links to your editorials as the voice of reason now.

I know you know. Who got to you… Tim?… Was it Jony? Did he give you a tour of the design studios to buy your silence? Out with it already.

tenlyradarthekat
  • Reply 60 of 70
    KharyIG said:

We keep hearing disparate rumours about a new affordable iPhone.

Some rumour says it will be named the iPhone 5SE, another the 6C. Some rumours point to an A8 processor included in the 2015 iPod Touch starting at $199USD. Other rumours point to a smartphone with an A9 processor with 2GB of RAM included.

It’s quite clear that Apple is going to debut two new iPhones.

An iPhone 5SE, with an A8 processor 1GB of RAM, and an iPhone 5C polycarbonate chassis starting at $299USD.

Apple will also debut an iPhone 6C, with an A9 processor, 2GB of RAM and an iPhone 6 chassis starting at $399

Both models will include TouchID, and NFC, as Apple wants every iPhone they sell going forward to be enabled with Apple Pay, and components like the TouchID sensor costs them $5, and NFC radio costs less than a $1.

This is the exact strategy Apple laid out in their confidential presentation slides and Steve Jobs emails that got leaked to the press in 2013. Apple believes there are only two smartphone markets. 1) The larger than 4” screen and greater than $300 smartphone market, and 2) the sub $300 USD smartphone market.

"-Create low cost iPhone model based on iPod Touch to replace 3GS" - Steve Jobs

Apple’s confidential slides clearly points out that there is even greater growth in the sub $300 smartphone market than there is in the large screen market and they released two larger screen smartphones in 2014 with subsequently huge increases in revenue and profits.

It would only seem logical for Apple (A very pragmatic company) to follow the same strategy they implemented with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, and sell two additional iPhones at two price tiers they have never offered previously.

You’re wondering why Apple wouldn’t offer a $199 and $299 iPhone if they are so concerned about this sub $300 market? We’re talking about Apple that likes to maximize profits, and why play all your cards at once. $199USD and $299USD smartphones are a 2017 or 2018 strategy that will further increase growth.

C’mon Apple Insider, you guys are the best tech journalists on the planet. Even Time Magazine links to your editorials as the voice of reason now.

I know you know. Who got to you… Tim?… Was it Jony? Did he give you a tour of the design studios to buy your silence? Out with it already.

Not a bad first post.  Welcome to our community.
    I don't agree with everything you wrote, but I think a lot of it has merit.   2 phones coming out in the 4" size would certainly explain why we keep hearing conflicting rumours wrt to internals.  I also think that would be a good strategy.  A high end 4" phone and a cheap one.  Makes sense.  I wonder why nobody else suggested that possibility.  I don't want Apple to release a phone that is "too" cheap though.  I think they need at least 30% margin on it or they shouldn't bother.  A cheap phone comes with an altogether different type of customer - one that is sometimes impossible to please.  Market share at the expense of profit is something Apple hasn't chased so far - and I hope they're not about to start!

In any case - nice post!  Welcome!