Apple's iPad Pro outsold Microsoft's entire Surface lineup over the holidays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    "Despite lukewarm reviews"...really? Most of the reviews I've read were quite positive. I tried one out in an Apple store and liked it a lot, it felt noticeably heavier than other iPad's of course, but not unacceptibably so.

Oh yes, who's the troll that's putting a 'dislike' on every single comment it seems? Or is it just a glitch with this sites new comments section, which by the way works so inconsistently on the iPhone that I've almost smashed up my device on a number of occasions due to temper tantrums! For instance I tried to write a few words as italics, activated the option in editing but despite continuing to tap letters on the keyboard nothing would show up in the comments box, it was like there was a disconnect between it and the iPhones virtual keyboard...very annoying!
    edited February 2016 williamlondonaderuttercornchippscooter63banchocalinolamacguyjustadcomics
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Everyone keeps touting the need for Pro apps. I feel like iOS already has what it needs. If you are any kind of true professional you need a device that bridges the gap to offer portability. If you are doing any serious work you will do this on a pro desktop either in OS X or Windows. I have been using the iPad Pro since it came out...too early to tell but for the most part works awesome while I am mobile. But getting down to work I like my triple 27" monitors.
    aderutterliquidmarkcornchip
  • Reply 23 of 62
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Everyone keeps touting the need for Pro apps. I feel like iOS already has what it needs. If you are any kind of true professional you need a device that bridges the gap to offer portability. If you are doing any serious work you will do this on a pro desktop either in OS X or Windows. I have been using the iPad Pro since it came out...too early to tell but for the most part works awesome while I am mobile. But getting down to work I like my triple 27" monitors.
    I would expect that over time, iOS will bridge more and more of the gaps between mobile and desktop apps and performance, but the desktop is a long way from dead.
    williamlondoncanukstormliquidmarkcornchipcalilevi
  • Reply 24 of 62
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Hard to know but surface pro is more expensive than iPad pro. Surface pro is Microsoft's desperate attempt to make it iPad Pro but falls way short. It belongs to 2-in-1 laptop which are dime a dozen in laptop category.
    liquidmarkcali
  • Reply 25 of 62
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    msantti said:
    I thought tablets were dead?
    That has been the inside investor news.
    "iPhone and iPad dying", so Apple is dying!
    Just kidding at how the bad news people can be so negative on Apple,
      when many of them probably don't even know how an iPad is used.

Being more serious this really surprises me, because I read so much very positive on the Surface, yet very little on the iPad Pro.
    williamlondonboriscletocornchip
  • Reply 26 of 62
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    yeah but Microsoft Surface sales are on the RISE, while Apple iPad sales are on the DECLINE. Microsoft also has supposed success in "cloud" which is only vaguely understood, hence the possibility for investors to embrace magical hopeful thinking. The combination of ON THE RISE and MAGICAL THINKING IN TECHNOLOGY makes Microsoft's stock a good buy right now. While the mix of EXTREME IRRATIONAL PESSIMISM and A DEATH OF APPLE MAGICAL THINKING makes Apple's stock a bad buy for the time being.

Just one more foolish opinion!
    edited February 2016 cornchipmacky the macky
  • Reply 28 of 62
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    I'd love me an iPad Pro. What I'm missing is the presence of Pro-apps, like Final Cut or Logic instead of iMovie and Garageband.
    I'm not sure if you'll FCPX or LPX but the iPad Pro does need software optimized to take advantage of its features / hardware. Just a matter of time.
    Exactly.  It didn't make sense to port the full version of those apps to iPad prior to the release of the Pro.  Now that it's out, Apple certainly could take the Microsoft approach and reuse the OS X versions on iPad (just as MS allows you to run full desktop apps on the Surface Pro), but they won't because it's a poor experience.  I have no doubt that they're reworking them so that they're optimized for the iPad experience.

One other detail is that the OS X version of those apps is designed to interact with all sorts of pro audio/video hardware.  Figuring out which hardware it makes sense to allow the iPad to interact with (and working with other manufacturers on compatibility) is another detail which needs to be handled properly.

People love to ramble on about these things, but if you take the time to really think it through, it's a lot more complex than it first appears if you want to truly create a new experience (as opposed to just putting the same old experience in a shiny new box/polish a turd).
    edited February 2016 liquidmarkcornchipanomechiapscooter63
  • Reply 29 of 62
    512ke said:
    yeah but Microsoft Surface sales are on the RISE, while Apple iPad sales are on the DECLINE. Microsoft also has supposed success in "cloud" which is only vaguely understood, hence the possibility for investors to embrace magical hopeful thinking. The combination of ON THE RISE and MAGICAL THINKING IN TECHNOLOGY makes Microsoft's stock a good buy right now. While the mix of EXTREME IRRATIONAL PESSIMISM and A DEATH OF APPLE MAGICAL THINKING makes Apple's stock a bad buy for the time being.

The Microsoft surface is still a poor performer in the market. Ok their sales are on the rise, but look at where they were and look at where they are. They were at the bottom and they are still at the bottom. The iPad pro alone came out and outsold the entire surface line without having all sorts of fire sales. I'm sure that, had Apple held insane sales or trade-in deals and practically gave their iPads away then they'd move way more units and see tremendous growth. But Apple had their pie and ate it too. Their Apple pie, that is.
    caliwilliamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 62
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    It would be nice if someone made IDC detachable.
    cali
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Microsoft making a colossal mistake by tying themselves to x86 exclusively. 

The ARM ecosystem is far more robust and healthier than x86 with one manufacturer who is on life support and the other who is no longer innovative. 

It really is about performance. And the A9X blows the Core M out of the water for sustained performance. 

Intel can't cheat their way out of this one. But they have bred the Core M to be a quarter horse. Very fast sprinter, but short duration only. In any sustained workload, the Mustang like approach to the A(n)X series is vastly superior. 

And the battery life is vastly better. Keep the MacBook and MacBook Pro lines. I will no longer purchase a machine with an x86 CPU. 

Besides Paul Thurrott, the penultimate Microsoft apologist has some pretty harsh words for the Surface line of machines. 

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/64095/welcome-to-surfacegate

williamlondonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Microsoft making a colossal mistake by tying themselves to x86 exclusively. 

The ARM ecosystem is far more robust and healthier than x86 with one manufacturer who is on life support and the other who is no longer innovative. 

It really is about performance. And the A9X blows the Core M out of the water for sustained performance. 

Intel can't cheat their way out of this one. But they have bred the Core M to be a quarter horse. Very fast sprinter, but short duration only. In any sustained workload, the Mustang like approach to the A(n)X series is vastly superior. 

And the battery life is vastly better. Keep the MacBook and MacBook Pro lines. I will no longer purchase a machine with an x86 CPU. 

Besides Paul Thurrott, the penultimate Microsoft apologist has some pretty harsh words for the Surface line of machines. 

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/64095/welcome-to-surfacegate

I WOULD agree with your feelings on x86, but remember the surface RT? Microsoft basically held a catered party and nobody showed up. Without third party software support, the surface RT was worthless to almost any consumer. It was basically blackberry playbook 2.0.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    This "detachable" category was made up by IDC to keep Microsoft happy that they were winning something. Expect the boundaries to get redrawn again to show that Microsoft are leading in some new, even more obscure category.
    caliRayz2016chiapscooter63lostkiwi
  • Reply 34 of 62
    "Research suggests" is a far cry from "Official numbers confirm." We all know how often analysts get it wrong (heck folks here celebrate everytime they do like some kind of drinking game) so it's a little silly to take anything an analyst says as some kind of victory. Apple once again refused to release solid numbers regarding sales of the Pro. I've yet to see one on campus despite the healthy presence of the newest Surface Pro models, and the Apple retail employee at Best Buy was pretty non-plused when I asked him how they had been selling when I was picking up a new MacBook over the holidays. That's my "research," and I dare say it's no less accurate than anything from IDC, which has a history of getting numbers wrong as any gamer well knows. 
    Take this story as you will, but that's still no reason to give its lack of fully baked software instead of half baked apps like garage band and iMovie a pass. If you're going to aim something at professionals, loading it with professional grade software would seem a no-brainer. 
  • Reply 35 of 62
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    IDC = I Don't Care
    edited February 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 36 of 62
    sog35 said:
    Surface Pro is simply stealing share from Windows Ultrabooks or smaller laptops. No one is cross shopping a surface Pro with an iPad or Macbook.

In related news Google is worth more than Apple even though Apple makes more than 3x more profits.

Google and Apple are in quite different businesses.
    Apple creates, manufactures and sells  hardware and software.

Google creates spying software mostly given away for free.
    Google's profit is from advertisers who they spy for.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 37 of 62
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Well at my work (2000 FTEs) the IT department is trying to force us off iPads and dell laptops to surface pros only. Because Microsoft is best apparently, hot design and other lameness. I actually had to go to the IT committee to argue the case for an iPad deployment even though up until recently it was quite OK. It as only because there is no GPS/LTE in SPs that won the day. The IT head is on a jihad against Apple.

My ideal work config within current ITD constraints: iPad Air and a dell xps hooked up to a big monitor.  Their ideal? An SP hooked up to a big monitor.  My set up is cheaper, a broader range of functionality and has better battery life. The IT retaliation is to profile as much functionality out of the iPad as they can get away with.
    williamlondonpscooter63
  • Reply 38 of 62
    512ke said:

You sound like the typical general public investor who often lose on investments.
    By buying high selling low :'( , instead of buying low selling high.  :)
  • Reply 39 of 62
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    lkrupp said:
    Surface ads are on every cable channel in existence 24/7.
    #1 most embedded item advertised from what I have observed.
    liquidmark
  • Reply 40 of 62
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple should make a Mac tablet.