Apple Stores reportedly stall growth at top US shopping malls

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    After last years phenomenal growth due to the launch of the 6 and 6plus is there any wonder that Apple sales in total and in the retail stores have flatlined somewhat this year?  Show us the growth over the last two years and I bet Apple is outperforming the market. 
  • Reply 22 of 68
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    What a coincidence.

I just read this article over at MacNN to the effect that:

"If the head of General Growth Properties, Sandeep Mathrani, is to believed, Amazon is looking to expand its presence in retail. If a statement made during quarterly results from the mall management firm are accurate, the e-commerce leader is allegedly looking at opening up 200 to 300 retail stores across the United States, where books will be sold at Amazon's online prices, the same at its sole retail location in Seattle."

here's the link;

http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/02/02/unclear.where.executive.got.his.information.or.numbers.132283/

Seems like both Apple and Amazon might want to have a word with Mr. Sandeep Mathrani about gaming his clients against each other in the press.

edited February 2016 pscooter63argonaut
  • Reply 23 of 68
    This is why China, my friends.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Screw you, Appleinsider, for publishing this negative drivel.
    steviefreshmaker
  • Reply 25 of 68
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tmay said:
    What a coincidence.

"If the head of General Growth Properties, Sandeep Mathrani, is to believed, Amazon is looking to expand its presence in retail. If a statement made during quarterly results from the mall management firm are accurate, the e-commerce leader is allegedly looking at opening up 200 to 300 retail stores across the United States, where books will be sold at Amazon's online prices, the same at its sole retail location in Seattle."

here's the link;

http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/02/02/unclear.where.executive.got.his.information.or.numbers.132283/

Seems like both Apple and Amazon might want to have a word with Mr. Sandeep Mathrani about gaming his clients against each other in the press.

Even doesn't make sense since there is nothing Amazon sells that would generate this kind of traffic.
    I think we was just trying to justify a lower than promised result (to cover his butt) and used his best client to do it!!! What the hell.
    Apple should maybe find another place to put their stores since dumbass thinks they are so easy to replace... Lets see how losing 25% in sales will feel.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Angela is a mystery to me... 25 million salary, 70 million hiring bonus.... And we get????
    What is it exactly that you want? "And we get???" is wrong on so many levels. Bill Gates is one of the richest men on earth. And we get what?
    We got Microsoft. With Angela we seem to have got an enigma. 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 27 of 68
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    Other than for store pickups of online orders (through which means you can get new stuff much faster than at the Retail Store) or Genius Bar appointments (although I can get outstanding support via a telephone conversation) or product returns/exchanges (which is a genuine convenience), does an Apple Retail Store add all that much value anymore? 

I can see why during a decade of getting customers to switch, the Apple RS played a massive role for people to get a hands-on experience with Apple products. Given the ubiquity now of the iPod, iPhone, iPad, Beats headphones, and even Macs, I am guessing that there's less of a reason to visit.

Incidentally, I am surprised that we have not seen anything new or radical at the RS from the high-profile hire of Ahrendts. (I've been incredibly impressed by how Alphabet has put Ruth Porat to use as their public face, where she is now increasingly seen as a person who has brought tremendous cost and spending discipline to the company.)
    Angela is a mystery to me... 25 million salary, 70 million hiring bonus.... And we get????
    80+% retention rate of retail staff in an industry known for high turnover, more consistent branding via changes made in store, switchover to fashion (successfully I might add as the Watch is damn sexy and done well as a crossover fashion/tech device- and the way they've rolled bands out was done very intelligently to maximize consumer spending on bands)... You guys really have to be kidding with this?!
    jasenj1argonautafrodri
  • Reply 28 of 68
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    What is it exactly that you want? "And we get???" is wrong on so many levels. Bill Gates is one of the richest men on earth. And we get what?
    life is a give and take..
    Apple pays her 25million salary with a 70 milion signing bonus.
    What did Apple get for that.. Us as customers and investors like  to know... At least i care to know what she has brought to the picture ? And hence "And we get ?"

I am not  investing in Bill Gates... And this is not a Bill Gates forum where we discuss his actions..
    But in an apple forum  in a thread discussing Apple stores for which Angela is responsible ..... I don't see why you find my comment/question  wrong at so many levels?

if we were discussing the acquisition  of Beats for 3 billion... Would it be wrong to debate if it was worth what apple paid for it.? 

edited February 2016 anantksundaramstevie
  • Reply 29 of 68
    What did Apple get for that.. Us as customers and investors like  to know... At least i care to know what she has brought to the picture ? And hence "And we get ?"

I am not  investing in Bill Gates... And this is not a Bill Gates forum where we discuss his actions..
    But in an apple forum  in a thread discussing Apple stores for which Angela is responsible ..... I don't see why you find my comment/question  wrong at so many levels?

if we were discussing the acquisition  of Beats for 3 billion... Would it be wrong to debate if it was worth what apple paid for it.? 

She'a already made Apple's money back just in the successful Apple Watch launch, via her fashion connections, but she is at Apple to fine tune the brand via the retail shopping experience.

I recommend that you do a bit more research on her before you throw her to the wolves.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    "Nearly every major retail category was up, with the exception of electronics, primarily due to Apple"

When I think electronics... I don't think of the mall.

That might be part of the problem.

With Radio Shack mostly gone... what electronics stores are at the mall?

Some malls have Best Buy... but they are well over their 10,000 sqft cutoff.

Anyway... it's kinda weird to blame Apple for other stores' lack of growth.  Like I said... I'm not sure what "mall electronics stores" bring to the table.

Sidenote:  does anyone remember the organ store?  What was going on it that part of history that there were entire stores devoted to organs?

That is the best picture ever, and is proof, at last, that Borat used to work in a music shop.
    argonaut
  • Reply 31 of 68
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    latifbp said:
    80+% retention rate of retail staff in an industry known for high turnover, more consistent branding via changes made in store, switchover to fashion (successfully I might add as the Watch is damn sexy and done well as a crossover fashion/tech device- and the way they've rolled bands out was done very intelligently to maximize consumer spending on bands)... You guys really have to be kidding with this?!
    Sorry.. But i dont agree the watch roll out was clever .. I think it was a total disaster..lacking any excitement and totally disarrayed and confusing.  But lets agree to disagree on that.
    What was the employee  retention level at apple retail before Angela .. And how hard is it to replace these employes.. Another Words whats the value of the retention .
    As  for watch design, I love it too. I dont leave home without mine... But Angela is not the designer of the watch.. She is in charge of the b/m and online stores. That's it.

Basically  im waiting to see what she will bring to Apple that will make me say... "Cool...Yup i see her value.."
  • Reply 32 of 68

foggyhill said:
    tmay said:
    What a coincidence.

here's the link;

Even doesn't make sense since there is nothing Amazon sells that would generate this kind of traffic.
    I think we was just trying to justify a lower than promised result (to cover his butt) and used his best client to do it!!! What the hell.
    Apple should maybe find another place to put their stores since dumbass thinks they are so easy to replace... Lets see how losing 25% in sales will feel.
    I would be surprised it it stops at books, but that is just my speculation. To me it looks like Amazon is trying to change its last mile delivery costs with retail pickup, and also showroom for consumer electronics and other items. Perhaps that would be why Amazon is investing in its own freight hauling capability, its becoming more vertically integrated.
    argonaut
  • Reply 33 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's like having one amazing 1,000 square foot bread and cake store people know, trust and love that is very busy and calling the profit the mall makes per square foot for this bread and cake store 'x' and then adding 3 more 1,000 square foot bread and cake stores people don't love or trust and after a year average out the profit per square feet across the mall's 4 bread and cake stores. Your profit would go from 'x' to 'why'. And this study wouldn't include the information about all the people who drive 40 miles especially for their favourite cake store, who also buy some jeans, cologne and milk while they visit.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Having an Apple store in your mall will attract other vendors (like Microsoft)

But

Having an Apple store in your mall will also attract customers – at the expense of other vendors. 

Apple stores have comfy stools, free internet, toys to play with. They also are a convenient place for kids to hang out and charge their phones.  The number of times I've picked up an iPhone from the display, started to play with it, and had some teenager run over yelling, 'No! Don't! That's mine!'…

But while folk are hanging around Apple stores, they're not buying from other shops, and if they're not actually buying in the Apple stores either… that could be a problem.

stevie
  • Reply 35 of 68
    A lot of people here reading too much out of this report. Yes, their growth rate is a little lower because of the AS's slowdown, but where in the article do you see anything about them considering ditching apple? They are probably intensely aware that even though apples growth rate is down, the apple stores have a sales/sq.ft figure nearly 10x the average. They just need to point out the reason for the lower growth rate in the report, for their investors and such.

stevieargonaut
  • Reply 36 of 68
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    tmay said:

foggyhill said:
    I would be surprised it it stops at books, but that is just my speculation. To me it looks like Amazon is trying to change its last mile delivery costs with retail pickup, and also showroom for consumer electronics and other items. Perhaps that would be why Amazon is investing in its own freight hauling capability, its becoming more vertically integrated.
    A bit like Argos perhaps. Buy online, pick up at store. 
    argonaut
  • Reply 37 of 68
    tmay said:

foggyhill said:

Amazon has millions of products.   You can order almost anything from your computer, phone or tablet... and it makes its way to you from their 70 million square feet of warehouse space.

They are more of a logistics company than a retailer. 

Amazon has 50 brands of SSDs and thousands of units in stock in their warehouses that I can receive in 2 days.  A retail store would only have a couple brands and a couple units of each.

And that's just one product.  Amazon has millions of others.

I can see Amazon putting more warehouses in more locations and doing their own freight hauling.  No point in paying UPS, FedEX, USPS and DHL when they could do it themselves.

About the only value I see for physical locations is same-day store-pickup.  But only if the store is close enough to one of their giant warehouses.  Otherwise... a small retail location couldn't possibly have a worthwhile selection.

Then again... you can already get 1-day or even same-day delivery in some cities.  So what's the point of a retail location? :)
    yojimbo007freshmakerargonaut
  • Reply 38 of 68
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Shame on Apple!
  • Reply 39 of 68
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    1738 said:
    I don't have a ton of accounting experience but Apple is likely claiming that revenue when they get paid by the carrier for the device. Not when it's sold. 
    I don't think there's any doubt that Apple logs the revenue when the carrier accepts ownership of iPhones. Getting "paid" by a carrier, retailer, reseller or an individual is no different. It's a sale. That's the way it's always been.

That's the same general way most companies recognize a sale occurred, product ownership transferred to a different company or person and payment arrangements made. When Apple or many other companies say "sold" (actually more often shipped but that's a different discussion) it does not necessarily mean products purchased by an end-user, something frequently misunderstood. 
    edited February 2016 sirlance99
  • Reply 40 of 68
    tmay said:

She'a already made Apple's money back just in the successful Apple Watch launch, via her fashion connections, but she is at Apple to fine tune the brand via the retail shopping experience.

I recommend that you do a bit more research on her before you throw her to the wolves.
    Stop hyperventilating. No one's throwing anyone to "the wolves." These are fair questions to ask in an Apple fan forum, in relation to a blog about Apple Retail. 

Apple Watch aside (which was nicely done, I agree), I recommend you share your "research" with us, and educate us. I don't agree with the fashion connections part of it. If anything it's Jony Ive that was front and center at those fashion events; I don't recall seeing Ahrendts at many -- if any -- of those. 
    gatorguy