New York Landmarks Conservancy to recognize Apple for preserving historic NYC buildings

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2016
The New York City Landmarks Conservancy announced on Wednesday that the recipient of its 2016 Chairman's Award will be Apple, in recognition of the company's preservation and restoration of notable historic structures in New York City.

Specifically, Apple's SoHo, West 14th Street, Upper East Side and Grand Central Terminal stores are all cited for "marrying modern technology with distinguished architecture," the conservancy said. Grand Central Terminal is an individual New York City landmark, while the remaining three locations are within historic districts.

The award will be given to Apple at the conservancy's 2016 Chairman's Award Luncheon on March 9. The honor was first spotted by iFun.

The Landmarks Conservancy's Chairman's Award was created in 1988 to recognize exceptional organizations and companies that have demonstrated dedication to protecting New York's rich architectural heritage.

Perhaps the most trafficked of the bunch is Apple's Grand Central Terminal location, found right in the heart of the transportation hub. An estimated 700,000 people pass through the station every day.

The newest of the recognized properties is Apple's Upper East Side store, found inside a remodeled bank. Apple kept many of the original features of the building intact, including a bank fault, which has been turned into a VIP room.

Apple's SoHo location at 103 Prince St. was formerly occupied by the U.S. Postal Service. It underwent renovations to expand the property in 2011.

Finally, Apple's 14th Street store in Manhattan opened in 2007. It's located in the heart of New York City's Meatpacking District and is part of the Gansevoort Market Historic District.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Thanks, Jony!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Que the Apple haters just because that's what Apple haters love to do...hate all things Apple irregardless of any achievements they make.
    lkruppcornchipcali
  • Reply 3 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    This will make AAPL drop I am sure ... that and there is an 'r' in the Month.
    cornchipai46
  • Reply 4 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Que the Apple haters just because that's what Apple haters love to do...hate all things Apple irregardless of any achievements they make.
    Mediocrity is the accepted norm in America these days. Of course stuff like this enrages that crowd.
    caliai46
  • Reply 5 of 18
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    lkrupp said:
    Mediocrity is the accepted norm in America these days. Of course stuff like this enrages that crowd.
    Sorry my reply was to the guy you reply, a mistake.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 6 of 18
    josujosu Posts: 217member

What means Que in this context.

O es que hablas español y se te ha escapado.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 18
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Doomed /s
  • Reply 8 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    josu said:

I assume she/he meant queue / cue...  but then I'd refer to http://grammarist.com/usage/cue-queue/

edited February 2016 dasanman69zoetmb
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I love what Apple is doing here. It's a meld of modern and classical. Done with Apple's usual great taste. 

I wish new high schools were built with the old classical columns and such. Today, more often than not, they look like cyanide factories! :)
    patchythepiratezoetmb
  • Reply 10 of 18
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    I vind no vault in this article. It is fery good.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Must have been a pretty leaky vault to be called a fault!
  • Reply 12 of 18
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    josu said:

He spelled the word wrong. It's "cue" (rhymes with "true"), and it means "your turn to speak or move," as in a stage play or movie script.

Oxford dictionary doesn't know where the word comes from. It can also refer to the stick used in billiards or pool.

"Queue" is a line of people or vehicles waiting. Same pronunciation. Cognate with Latin "coda" Spanish "cola," for "tail" of an animal.

I always wondered how Eddy Cue's name was pronounced in Spanish, or Cuban Spanish. Any idea?
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    This is typical of Apple under Tim Cook!

Instead of preserving these buildings he should be knocking them down to boost Apple's share price. If Steve Jobs were here, he'd have punched those old relics down with his bare hands!

That's it. I've already sold half my shares, and I refuse to move my bowels until Tim Cook is fired! And you know I mean it! You know I do everything I say I'll do!

ronnai46anomepatchythepirate
  • Reply 14 of 18
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    "Apple's SoHo location at 103 Prince St. was formerly occupied by the U.S. Postal Service. It underwent renovations to expand the property in 2011."

That paragraph is 'sort of' a non-sequitur. The critical information to follow the first sentence, is that the old post office was converted into an Apple Store in 2002. And it was Apple's first store in NYC.
    That they did a rather minor (though year long) expansion of that store in 2011 doesn't seem to have too much relevance to the story.

But I must say; I'm thrilled about news of this award. Particularly because it shoves it right in the face of that guy who was suing Apple to try and stop them from opening UES store due to Apple Store being and "inappropriate" venue for the UES. (take 'that', Ahole!)  :D
  • Reply 15 of 18
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Rayz2016 said:

Instead of preserving these buildings he should be knocking them down to boost Apple's share price. If Steve Jobs were here, he'd have punched those old relics down with his bare hands!

That's it. I've already sold half my shares, and I refuse to move my bowels until Tim Cook is fired! And you know I mean it! You know I do everything I say I'll do!

They should have nuked the buildings from space.... just to make sure they're really destroyed... (Aliens reference).
  • Reply 16 of 18
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Rayz2016 said:

You almost sounded serious just there.  :D
  • Reply 17 of 18
    ibill said:
    Doomed /s
    "Huzzah" is the new Doomed™.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    The GCS store is my favorite.  It is always very busy; almost too busy to buy anything.