Square's Apple Pay-ready NFC reader goes on sale at US Apple Stores

Posted:
in iPhone
The Square Contactless and Chip Reader -- compatible with Apple Pay -- arrived at U.S. Apple Stores on Wednesday, and should soon be available through Apple's online storefront.

The product was originally launched in November through Square's website, but availability from Apple should help expand reach. In an announcement Square indicated that Apple is already selling the accessory online, but as of this writing it's not appearing in search results.

Apple is listing the reader for $49. Businesses using it must additionally pay Square 2.75 percent for each transaction. On top of Apple Pay, the hardware also supports Android Pay, Samsung Pay, and chip-based credit and debit cards.

Square is one of the most popular payment options for independent businesses, and could potentially be a major aid to Apple Pay expansion, alongside PayAnywhere's similar reader launched in August. Most U.S. Apple Pay merchants are large chains like Best Buy, GameStop, Walgreens, and Whole Foods.

Apple is working on expanding support, but a number of official partners -- like Anthroplogie, Dunkin Donuts, and Forever 21 -- not only lack firm launch dates, but have been sitting on Apple's list for many months. 2016 should see Apple Pay arrive at several more partners at least, such as Cinnabon, Starbucks, KFC, and JCPenney.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    It's funny how Apple accessories made by other companies are always so much fairer priced than Apple's own accessories.  I'm going to pick up one of these tomorrow.   
  • Reply 2 of 22
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    And that steamroller of Pay momentum casts another stunning blow...

/s
  • Reply 3 of 22
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I used their system for the first time the other day, it worked the way it should. The best part about the place I used it at, this place was cash only until about 3 months ago and they had the square system. I immediately asked them if they would accept apple pay. I must not have been the only one who asked since they put in the system a week ago.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 22
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Mr_Grey said:
    It's funny how Apple accessories made by other companies are always so much fairer priced than Apple's own accessories.  I'm going to pick up one of these tomorrow.   

And what's your point?  Just about all the non-Apple accessories I've ever purchased for use with my Apple devices crapped-out, broke, constantly-replaced under warranty, etc.. 

I don't harp (or brag like you do) about it simply because just about everyone knows that when you buy Apple, you're buying more than just the product.  You're buying quality, durability, and support.  Everyone knows 3rd-party stuff is a roll of the dice and accept it.
    patchythepiratecornchipJanNLredgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 22
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    sflocal said:
    Mr_Grey said:

And what's your point?  Just about all the non-Apple accessories I've ever purchased for use with my Apple devices crapped-out, broke, constantly-replaced under warranty, etc.. 

I don't harp (or brag like you do) about it simply because just about everyone knows that when you buy Apple, you're buying more than just the product.  You're buying quality, durability, and support.  Everyone knows 3rd-party stuff is a roll of the dice and accept it.
    Unless, of course, you buy from reputable 3rd party companies that have great accessories that are just as good if not better than Apple and cheaper. They do exist.
    cnocbuianantksundaram
  • Reply 6 of 22
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sflocal said:

I would generally agree except with respect to Apple cables. I've had issues with the insulation fraying near the plug connectors as well as other material issues in the past, although not so much recently.
    JanNL
  • Reply 7 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Mr_Grey said:
    this is not really an accessory -- it's a key component to enable Square's entire operation. without readers, there is no Square business. i wouldnt be surprised if they sell at cost or below.
    auxioanantksundaram
  • Reply 8 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

sflocal said:

Unless, of course, you buy from reputable 3rd party companies that have great accessories that are just as good if not better than Apple and cheaper. They do exist.
    it's not amazon or mono price, ill tell you that -- my extra lighting cables from them have literally fallen apart in months thru normal use, making their lower price a mirage. I'm trying an Anker cable now. 
  • Reply 9 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    maestro64 said:
    I used their system for the first time the other day, it worked the way it should. The best part about the place I used it at, this place was cash only until about 3 months ago and they had the square system. I immediately asked them if they would accept apple pay. I must not have been the only one who asked since they put in the system a week ago.
    I have one, but TBH it's not all that convenient. I suspect it will get little use but who knows. Doesn't matter really as it was cheap enough so no worries. 
  • Reply 10 of 22
    gatorguy said:
    I have one, but TBH it's not all that convenient. I suspect it will get little use but who knows. Doesn't matter really as it was cheap enough so no worries. 
    Not all that convenient for whom? Apple Pay is very convenient for me which is why I use it whenever I can.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    My local coffee shop has one of these. It works flawlessly and quickly. That is, once you educate the cashier and tell her that the card reader actually accepts Apple Pay: )
  • Reply 12 of 22
    onlyhope said:
    gatorguy said:
    Not all that convenient for whom? Apple Pay is very convenient for me which is why I use it whenever I can.
    Not convenient for the seller. It requires pairing with the retailers smart-device before it can be used unlike the much faster plug-in Square Reader.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 13 of 22
    gatorguy said:

Not convenient for the seller. It requires pairing with the retailers smart-device before it can be used unlike the much faster plug-in Square Reader.
    Doesn't it remember the connection like other BT devices?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    sflocal said:

Yeah.  I didn't mean to upset anyone, I was more just pointing out that this is an excellent product, well-designed, totally up to "Apple-ey" standards, but seemingly quite a bit cheaper than it would be if Apple made it.  

While I wrote it, I was looking at my $100 Apple remote that shattered within a few days of buying it because I dropped it 3 inches onto my coffee table.  So I guess I was in a bad mood.  Apologies once again for daring to criticise the Apple gods.  
  • Reply 15 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Smart move connecting via BT, and not the 3.5mm headphone jack.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    mac_128 said:
    Smart move connecting via BT, and not the 3.5mm headphone jack.
    They include both in the box. Old fashion swipe cards can't use BT or chip reader. I'm sure eventually swipe only cards will disappear completely.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 17 of 22
    volcan said:
    gatorguy said:

Yes it can remember the connection, but I personally don't leave bluetooth active all day as I'm sure others don't. If I had more requests for Apple or Android Pay I might decide I should leave it connected but so far I've had two lone customers inquirer about it in the 9 days I've had it, and only one of them was interested in using it. The other was simply curious. 
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 18 of 22
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    gatorguy said:
    volcan said:
    Yes it can remember the connection, but I personally don't leave bluetooth active all day as I'm sure others don't. If I had more requests for Apple or Android Pay I might decide I should leave it connected but so far I've had two lone customers inquirer about it in the 9 days I've had it, and only one of them was interested in using it. The other was simply curious. 
    This is something I don't understand. If you have BT accessories why do you keep turning off BT?! I have Bluetooth on all the time since I need it to connect to my Apple Watch, my car infotainment, and Automatic device in my car. I usually get more than 11 hours of usage and 30 hours of stand by.
    nolamacguyvolcan
  • Reply 19 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ....and Apple holds back ApplePay iPads so Square can make money...
  • Reply 20 of 22
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    sflocal said:
    Mr_Grey said:

I wish I could back you up on that. While their core products like the AppleTV, iOS devices and Laptops (unless you need more than a TB) are great, their accessories are often feature deficient to competitors that offer devices just as reliable. Their cable strain relief deficiency on both lightning and magsafe cables is well known. I’ve replaced 2 MagSafe power adapters and at least 5 or 6 iPhone cables (and countless friend’s broken iPhone cables) going all the way back to the 30-pin dock cables. Their Airports (which I’ve had to replaced 4 for myself and others), lack important traffic control such as QoS and advanced features like SNMP other companies have in routers that last just as long as — and with greater range — than Airport routers. Their iPad cases look good, but lack the stability of other cases that are just as protective, stylish & durable. The phone cases are very basic and provide no more protection than a TPU case that looks just as good and are just as thin at ⅓ the price.

I’ve used Apple products for over 30 years, so I’m neither an Apple Hater nor an Apple FanBoi because I still use other platforms, and look for superior products (Apple’s OSes win this because their UX, consistency & reliability). I’ve often said I’ll use the best tool for the job, and for the job of computer or mobile accessories, but Apple’s quality, durability, flexibility and attention to detail does not make it into their accessories.

Accessories are kind of like things they know they can make an easy add on sale. It’s like buying HDMI cables for $30 when you buy a new HDTV. If you looked around, you could find first rate HDMI cables for not even ½ the cost. Or it’s like buying the combo meal instead of just the burger at a drive thru. Many people, when their lightning cable breaks don’t even look around, and just buy another one from an Apple because it’s easy. The same for their higher priced accessories as well. I but you have to be willing to look. Convenience comes at a higher cost, but you have to weigh where convenience matters (like daily computing) and when it doesn’t so you can save money.

edited February 2016 anantksundaram