Apple's rumored 4" iPhone to launch with hot pink color option, report says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    Mr_Grey said:
    Remember since it is a budget iPhone, Apple not going all out on the aesthetics and will supply the inside with iPhone 5S and 6 components!  Just hoping at least the will have 2GB RAM even if is the old LPDDR3!
    Who says it's a budget phone?  Remember the last time everyone thought that (the iPhone 5c), and what happened?  

It was ever so slightly cheaper than the regular model even though it was made of plastic.  This time it will be made of the same metal as the flagship phones.  If it's even a hundred bucks cheaper than the mainline phone we will be lucky.  It's quite possible that it won't be any cheaper at all.  
    If Apple price the 4" the same as 5.5" and has the same features inside it like 1080i resolution; the 5.5" and 4.7" would loose sales and the size-price hierarchy would be broken. Apple management would be confused! LOL!
  • Reply 42 of 49
    sdbryan said:
    vision33r said:
    There's very little market left for a 4" phone, there's more market for a 5.7" or larger phone than the 4" one.  Even kids these days favor the bigger phones than small ones.

They could do a 4.7" but 4" won't be a hot seller.
    Since it seems Apple is going to sell a 4" iPhone, that implies their market research must indicate there is demand for it. Of course we will only really know when it becomes available. I know I will buy one since it is the same form factor as the iPod touch I so enjoy using. If they manage to shrink the non-screen areas it will be that much better.
    Some research indicates that phablets will dominate in 2017 (http://www.digitalgov.gov/2016/01/19/trends-on-tuesday-will-phablets-dominate-the-mobile-market-in-2017/), but we'll see how the smaller phones do in the following months.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    sdbryan said:
    Since it seems Apple is going to sell a 4" iPhone, that implies their market research must indicate there is demand for it. Of course we will only really know when it becomes available. I know I will buy one since it is the same form factor as the iPod touch I so enjoy using. If they manage to shrink the non-screen areas it will be that much better.
    Some research indicates that phablets will dominate in 2017 (http://www.digitalgov.gov/2016/01/19/trends-on-tuesday-will-phablets-dominate-the-mobile-market-in-2017/), but we'll see how the smaller phones do in the following months.
    Wouldn't metrics they are using favour younger demographics and tend to ignore business and professional buyers?
    Yes phablets are favoured by people who have one device and don't mind it being awkward to carry or make phone calls with because the big screen.
    After all no one wants to look at only 4inches on snapchat.

It wouldn't seem like their metrics are going to be built in to app that would say anything about professional people who can and do have multiple devices and use them together to build their workflow.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    jkichline said:
    I think this makes a lot of sense. The iPod Touch is such a great device. It's crazy thin. But iPod is a sinking ship and more and more parents are getting their kids cell phones. I have kids coming into my youth group at 11 years old with cell phones.

It's obvious why kids would want one. If Apple can show a value proposition to parents (parental controls, entertainment value, tracking where your kids are) and make the price right, this would be a watershed product. Make it in awesome colors like the iPod Touch line. Engrave it (helps a lot with theft prevention)
    11 is pretty late in my experience nowadays. I took my son to a 4yr old's birthday party last week and in addition to every parent toting an iphone of some sort, I clocked several of the slightly older kids (6-8yr olds) had their own iphone too - typically a 4 or 4s, likely the parents' old phones. 
  • Reply 45 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    adm1 said:
    jkichline said:
    I think this makes a lot of sense. The iPod Touch is such a great device. It's crazy thin. But iPod is a sinking ship and more and more parents are getting their kids cell phones. I have kids coming into my youth group at 11 years old with cell phones.

It's obvious why kids would want one. If Apple can show a value proposition to parents (parental controls, entertainment value, tracking where your kids are) and make the price right, this would be a watershed product. Make it in awesome colors like the iPod Touch line. Engrave it (helps a lot with theft prevention)
    11 is pretty late in my experience nowadays. I took my son to a 4yr old's birthday party last week and in addition to every parent toting an iphone of some sort, I clocked several of the slightly older kids (6-8yr olds) had their own iphone too - typically a 4 or 4s, likely the parents' old phones. 
    Yes, but the question is, were those kid's phones activated with cellular plans? 

Old iPhones make great iPods. But it takes a few years before a powerful enough iPhone can be passed down to kids who will still find it useful. I think we're there now. And that's why the iPod Touch days are numbered. But this only makes sense when the cost of the iPhone has already been depreciated. Those same parents are not going to spend $650+ for a brand new iPhone for their 6-8 year old child, or even $450, with or without a monthly cellular plan. And since it's unlikely Apple will be able to sell an iPhone for the same price as a $200 iPod Touch, it's not likely to happen any time soon, especially when the same quality of phone will essentially be realized in the form of a parent's 3 year old hand me down.

I suppose there's an argument to be made for the parents who don't have a phone to pass down to the kids (damage or theft), and so it makes sense to keep the iPod Touch for the kids. Of course next year when hand me down iPhones start having 4.7" & 5.5" screens the current iPod Touch is going to seem woefully inadequate -- especially for the kid who likes play games. I suppose there's an argument to be made that a 4" screen is the best 6-8 year old kid's small hands, but I doubt it, that's an awfully niche market to cater to. It's hard to imagine anyone else needing an iPod Touch, unless someone just wants a dedicated music device, separate from their phone. In which case they aren't going to want to pay as much as a phone for that, and will likely have an old phone they can use instead. 
  • Reply 46 of 49
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    mac_128 said:
    adm1 said:
    Yes, but the question is, were those kid's phones activated with cellular plans? 

Old iPhones make great iPods. But it takes a few years before a powerful enough iPhone can be passed down to kids who will still find it useful. I think we're there now. And that's why the iPod Touch days are numbered. But this only makes sense when the cost of the iPhone has already been depreciated. Those same parents are not going to spend $650+ for a brand new iPhone for their 6-8 year old child, or even $450, with or without a monthly cellular plan. And since it's unlikely Apple will be able to sell an iPhone for the same price as a $200 iPod Touch, it's not likely to happen any time soon, especially when the same quality of phone will essentially be realized in the form of a parent's 3 year old hand me down.

I suppose there's an argument to be made for the parents who don't have a phone to pass down to the kids (damage or theft), and so it makes sense to keep the iPod Touch for the kids. Of course next year when hand me down iPhones start having 4.7" & 5.5" screens the current iPod Touch is going to seem woefully inadequate -- especially for the kid who likes play games. I suppose there's an argument to be made that a 4" screen is the best 6-8 year old kid's small hands, but I doubt it, that's an awfully niche market to cater to. It's hard to imagine anyone else needing an iPod Touch, unless someone just wants a dedicated music device, separate from their phone. In which case they aren't going to want to pay as much as a phone for that, and will likely have an old phone they can use instead. 
    I just discovered Airplane mode. It basically transforms any iPhone into an iPod.

It is the monthly data plan that prevents the iPhone from making the iPod obsolete. The iPod is here to stay, unless Apple *re-invents* the data plan by getting rid of the Micro SD card slot and the operator's hegenomy?

Frankly I'd love to see the iPod mirror the iPhone sizes. A 5.5 inch iPod would be amazing.

>:x
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 47 of 49
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Who says Apple has stopped innovating?
  • Reply 48 of 49
    mr o said:
    mac_128 said:

I just discovered Airplane mode. It basically transforms any iPhone into an iPod.

It is the monthly data plan that prevents the iPhone from making the iPod obsolete. The iPod is here to stay, unless Apple *re-invents* the data plan by getting rid of the Micro SD card slot and the operator's hegenomy?

Frankly I'd love to see the iPod mirror the iPhone sizes. A 5.5 inch iPod would be amazing.

>:x
    5.5" iPod hurt sales of the iPad Mini!  If it were price at the same price as the Mini!
  • Reply 49 of 49
    mtbnut said:
    "We made a 6 and our current model is a 6S. For our newer model, let's use a number that is smaller than the current model number. It doesn't imply that we've regressed at all. It's totally cool to use a number we used on a phone model that's 3 years old. It's totally Apple-like. Because smaller than the 6 could only mean one thing: it's a 5! And it's like last year's 5S, except it's an Exceptional version of the 5S. I now give you...the 5Se."
    If it is a budget iPhone, that would be the perfect name foe the upcoming 4"!