Apple's rumored 4" iPhone to launch with hot pink color option, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    ireland said:
    iPhone 5se is such a terrible product name I'm going to go on record here right now and say Gurman's prediction will be proven wrong. They will not name this new smaller iPhone that.

I don't know what they will name it, but I would love a 4.2" version of the iPhone 6s in all four currently available colours running an A9 with 2GB of RAM (at 6s prices if needs be) and branded iPhone 6s mini.
    I'm still hoping they are not going to call it 5SE ....
    Even from a marketing point of view, I can't see any good reason to refer to a 2 years old model (iPhone 5S) to attract customers.
    really Apple, really?
    cornchipmr o
  • Reply 22 of 49
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member

youngliz said:
    What's next, an iPhone nano? Apple is 100% dependent upon iPhones and iPads. Without these 2 products, the company would collapse. Eventually this whole house of cards will come tumbling down.
    Apple has a solid base of still growing Mac sales, since almost 40 years, dude...
    but "youngliz" like you can't really understand.
    nolamacguycornchip
  • Reply 23 of 49
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    "We made a 6 and our current model is a 6S. For our newer model, let's use a number that is smaller than the current model number. It doesn't imply that we've regressed at all. It's totally cool to use a number we used on a phone model that's 3 years old. It's totally Apple-like. Because smaller than the 6 could only mean one thing: it's a 5! And it's like last year's 5S, except it's an Exceptional version of the 5S. I now give you...the 5Se."
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 24 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    leighr said:
    Here's my script for Tim, at the 4" iPhone launch: "In 2001, Apple revolutionised the music industry with iPod. Hundreds, and then thousands of songs in your pocket. iPod Touch allowed music lovers to touch their music and interact with it in a whole new way. And today, I'm announcing that we are discontinuing the iPod. But we're replacing it with something even better. iPhone mini. Thousands of songs, the Internet in your pocket, millions of apps, Apple Music streaming, 4K camera, AND, now with free phone calls via wifi, or use a carrier's SIM and plan. And, iPhone Mini comes in a beautiful new range of colours that we think you're going to love. iPhone Mini - the new iPod, now with iPhone."
    That's not bad. However, they just updated the iPod Touch in July and I doubt after such a major refit they are going to discontinue it in only 9 months. They would have to be selling none of them to do that. Then there's the entry price -- a 16GB Touch costs $199. A 16GB 5S costs $450, to say nothing of the cost of the flagship features you mention. That alone is a big jump, which is probably going to leave a lot of customers looking for another option, especially if they don't need a phone. Frankly, with wifi calling, and wifi coverage expanding daily, the Touch is going to serve the needs of many people for a lot less. On the other hand, if Apple drops the price of the entry level phone to $350, with a monthly payment plan, then cost could become much less of an issue. But that phone won't have 4K video. However, there will still need to be a data plan which won't be cheap either adding to the cost. And it would have to be structured like the iPad data plans in order to justify the cost by giving the customer the ability to turn it off and on as needed, as well as use just for data without voice.

then there's the question of what iPod Touch customers actually want. I'd argue that many are kids who would prefer a larger screen for gaming, in which case the mini is likely a better option for them and even that costs significantly less than an iPhone 5S. And if Apple is looking to service a thriving iPod Touch market, I have to think offering a 4.7, or 5.5 model would probably be of more interest to those kids. So in 9 months, once the 6 hits the entry level spot, Apple could likely offer a $200 large screen Touch updare -- assuming there's still a market for the Touch remaining. And if not, and your theory rings true, then with Apple's monthly payment plan, a 4.7" Touch becomes just as a affordable as a 4" iPhone does now.

So it's hard to see that strategy just now. No more than I would expect them to discontinue the shuffle and nano at the same event because the 1st gen Watch drops $100 in price, that's still $100-200 more than either iPod, with no monthly payment plan (yet). Maybe by the 7S when they can depreciate the Watch for $150, and drop the iPhone 6 down to $350. But not by March.
    cornchip
  • Reply 25 of 49
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    maxit said:
    ireland said:
    iPhone 5se is such a terrible product name I'm going to go on record here right now and say Gurman's prediction will be proven wrong. They will not name this new smaller iPhone that.

I don't know what they will name it, but I would love a 4.2" version of the iPhone 6s in all four currently available colours running an A9 with 2GB of RAM (at 6s prices if needs be) and branded iPhone 6s mini.
    really Apple, really?
    no, not really -- this is a rumor, not a press release. 
    williamlondonpscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,325moderator
    cali said:

You guys ever see the old "leaked" black iPhone 5c?

That would be a nice option. I like the black metal on the iPod Touch:

It would need the bands or some plastic/glass window for the signals but they'd look ok in black like the iPad:

The iPod colors are good for younger iPhone owners and they can pick really classy tones with metal e.g:

Those are a lot better than the 5C color tones and the metal has a better appearance. Even the hot pink style looks fine in metal:

If they had to extend the window all the way over, it might look bad but they have that technique where they can make radio transparent metallic-looking material so it wouldn't have to look all that different from the metal.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    vision33r said:
    There's very little market left for a 4" phone, there's more market for a 5.7" or larger phone than the 4" one.  Even kids these days favor the bigger phones than small ones.

They could do a 4.7" but 4" won't be a hot seller.
    Might do some research before: https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/iphone_models/from_date:-20,to_date:0

That comes to around 1/3 still using a 4" phone. Hardly something to sneeze at.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    vision33r said:
    There's very little market left for a 4" phone, there's more market for a 5.7" or larger phone than the 4" one.  Even kids these days favor the bigger phones than small ones.

Everything you've said flies in the face of the actual facts.  Apple sells far more 4" phones than plus sized phones and more of their customers currently own them than those that own the plus sized phones.  You would seem to be just talking sh*t here.  
  • Reply 29 of 49
    maxit said:
    ireland said:

Even from a marketing point of view, I can't see any good reason to refer to a 2 years old model (iPhone 5S) to attract customers.
    really Apple, really?
    Well, the pretty obvious answer to your question is that it's a device intended as an upgrade for everyone currently using a 5 series phone.  It's a "special edition" of a 5 series phone for people that like that form factor and don't want the larger ones.  Whether or not they end up using the name, there are some clear and obvious reasons for doing so. 

The presence, if confirmed, of a "pink" iPhone is actually the first indication we have of anything about it that would make the (more popular) "iPhone 6c" name make any sense at all ... if it wasn't for the fact that 9to5Mac has already popped that balloon and stated flat out that it won't be "hot pink" but actually "rose gold" instead. 
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 30 of 49
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    youngliz said:
    What's next, an iPhone nano? Apple is 100% dependent upon iPhones and iPads. Without these 2 products, the company would collapse. Eventually this whole house of cards will come tumbling down.
    What a loser. 

And without out search based advertising, Google would be nothing. 

How about about Facebook - a one trick wonder of a social network. 

ericthehalfbeetallest skilcornchip
  • Reply 31 of 49
    My wife looked over my shoulder as I clicked on this article and when she saw the hot pink she perked up right away and asked if they were actually making one.

Many years ago (before the iPhone) I got her a hot pink Razr - she absolutely loved it. I wouldn't discount this colour. 
    williamlondonquadra 610pscooter63
  • Reply 32 of 49
    hentaiboy said:
    bobschlob said:
    You say there is very little market left for smaller phone. That's ridiculous. There's a market, there just isn't anybody filling that market right now. Hopefully Apple will fill it and 'own' it.
    You guys ever heard of the iPhone 5S?
    Sure, but the 5s was already an old model when new technology no longer supported the iPod touch. To add insult to injury, Apple seemed to abandoned the 4 inch size when I was finally ready to cave in and buy an iPhone. Now I am glad I was patient (stubborn?).
  • Reply 33 of 49
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    youngliz said:

Not quite. 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/17/apple-sells-5-of-pcs-world-wide-makes-45-of-the-profit/

That's from 2013. Pretty sure not much has changed.
    cornchip
  • Reply 34 of 49
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    My wife looked over my shoulder as I clicked on this article and when she saw the hot pink she perked up right away and asked if they were actually making one.

Many years ago (before the iPhone) I got her a hot pink Razr - she absolutely loved it. I wouldn't discount this colour. 

Agreed.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Remember since it is a budget iPhone, Apple not going all out on the aesthetics and will supply the inside with iPhone 5S and 6 components!  Just hoping at least the will have 2GB RAM even if is the old LPDDR3!
  • Reply 36 of 49
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    leighr said:
    Here's my script for Tim, at the 4" iPhone launch: "In 2001, Apple revolutionised the music industry with iPod. Hundreds, and then thousands of songs in your pocket. iPod Touch allowed music lovers to touch their music and interact with it in a whole new way. And today, I'm announcing that we are discontinuing the iPod. But we're replacing it with something even better. iPhone mini. Thousands of songs, the Internet in your pocket, millions of apps, Apple Music streaming, 4K camera, AND, now with free phone calls via wifi, or use a carrier's SIM and plan. And, iPhone Mini comes in a beautiful new range of colours that we think you're going to love. iPhone Mini - the new iPod, now with iPhone."

I cannot imagine Apple getting rid of the iconic iPod brand which heralded a Music revolution in the noughties. The iPod brand is even more significant than the beats brand. Perhaps it'd be better to replace the beats headphones with the iPod, especially with the Airpods around the corner.

Having said that, the iPod remains a smarter choice than an iPhone as it comes with more affordable storage and NO monthly data plan. That alone saves you 20$/month or one iPod/year.

>:x
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 37 of 49
    not_jony_ive has given a strong hint on twitter that a hot pink iPhone might actually be in the works:

• Reply 38 of 49
    maxit said:
    ireland said:

really Apple, really?
    I am baffled by the name as well. Especially if it is going to look like an iPhone 6.

edited February 2016
  • Reply 39 of 49
    vision33r said:

opinions vary.  If you can't own a laptop and a tablet and a phone, you get a YUGE phone.  Apple's target market is about pocket space rather than 'gateway phone' (as I think the ASP on this will not get under a parent's 'oh this is a throw in phone').

This is for the iPad Pro owner who wants a phone and ultra portability (this is the exercise phone, the skinny jeans phone, the small thumbs phone)
    cornchip
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Remember since it is a budget iPhone, Apple not going all out on the aesthetics and will supply the inside with iPhone 5S and 6 components!  Just hoping at least the will have 2GB RAM even if is the old LPDDR3!
    Who says it's a budget phone?  Remember the last time everyone thought that (the iPhone 5c), and what happened?  

It was ever so slightly cheaper than the regular model even though it was made of plastic.  This time it will be made of the same metal as the flagship phones.  If it's even a hundred bucks cheaper than the mainline phone we will be lucky.  It's quite possible that it won't be any cheaper at all.