Post your desktop

Comments

• Reply 1541 of 1795
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

It's kind of funny: Last night "The Contest" episode of Seinfeld was on. . . a classic.

I consider them all classics!

_thedustin
  • Reply 1542 of 1795
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Anyway, we have a new addition to the family. She arrived last week, and has been giving me nothing but joy: (see image below)

Isn't Form-Z the package that Burt Rutan and his clan at Scaled Composites use during the initial design phase of their projects? I thought I read that on an old feature on the Apple/Pro website. Or was is Ashlar's Vellum Solids?

Escher
  • Reply 1543 of 1795
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

I don't even use my own desktops... for the same reasons you cite above. Having said that...

Another round of updates...

Why is the girl on the left's leg pink?
  • Reply 1544 of 1795
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Isn't Form-Z the package that Burt Rutan and his clan at Scaled Composites use during the initial design phase of their projects? I thought I read that on an old feature on the Apple/Pro website. Or was is Ashlar's Vellum Solids?

Escher

It may be. . . I'm not sure. I use it because, unlike most CAD packages, it's a 3D program that can also do 2D rather than the other way around. This makes it extremely good for designing injection molded plastics.
  • Reply 1545 of 1795
    Quote:

It may be. . . I'm not sure. I use it because, unlike most CAD packages, it's a 3D program that can also do 2D rather than the other way around. This makes it extremely good for designing injection molded plastics.

It's a shame Apple removed that page from their website. Architosh still references the Apple feature, but doesn't say whether Burt uses Ashlar Vellum or FormZ. I'm too CAD illiterate to make an educated guess. I've only used MiniCAD and VectorWorks. But something that is "extremely good for designing injection molded plastics" (FormZ) might be good for Rutan's planes too. After all they're just larger pieces of plastic.

Update: Burt Rutan uses Ashlar-Vellum. It says so on Ashlar's website, which includes a congratulatory message re: SpaceShipOne's recent space flight.

Update 2: Ashlar ships its programs in both Windows and Mac OS X versions with every license, so you can switch platforms for free. How cool is that? If only Microsoft would do the same thing with Office.

Now back on topic! Desktops!

Escher
  • Reply 1546 of 1795
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    From my new 20 inch Apple Cinema Display.

• Reply 1547 of 1795
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Collages this update: a bit smaller than ussual for modesty's sake.

• Reply 1548 of 1795
    Why don't you ever show YOUR desktop?
  • Reply 1549 of 1795
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Why don't you ever show YOUR desktop?

A current shot:

• Reply 1550 of 1795
    salmonstk: It's good to see your own desktop, especially now that you've admitted that you would never use the revealing ones you produce yourself.

I thought that Stata was available for Mac OS X these days? Is the OS X version too expensive or limited in functionality?

Escher
  • Reply 1551 of 1795
    Quote:

salmonstk: It's good to see your own desktop, especially now that you've admitted that you would never use the revealing ones you produce yourself.

I thought that Stata was available for Mac OS X these days? Is the OS X version too expensive or limited in functionality?

Escher

I didn't say I never use them. I just don't use them often or at work.

The Windows Stata I am using was free, as was virtual PC so I am stuck with that now. maybe will make the investment one day to buy myself, or wait till I get a job and i can get a department to buy it.
  • Reply 1552 of 1795
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    here is my latest creation in the spirit of Tiger...

• Reply 1553 of 1795
    Quote:

I didn't say I never use them. I just don't use them often or at work.

I know, I know. I sometimes use them too. I exaggerated for effect. Nothing to worry about. Still enjoy your desktops very much. Move right along.

Escher
  • Reply 1554 of 1795
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

here is my latest creation in the spirit of Tiger...

Wow! That is one full dock, ljerry. Mine only has 14 icons, including the finder and trash. For everything else, I just hit command-shift-A to call up the Applications menu in the Finder. Oh, and the Tiger desktop is nice.

Escher
  • Reply 1555 of 1795
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Wow! That is one full dock, ljerry. Mine only has 14 icons, including the finder and trash. For everything else, I just hit command-shift-A to call up the Applications menu in the Finder. Oh, and the Tiger desktop is nice.

Escher

Yeah it is a full dock!...I just hate navigating through my applications folder, there are a ton more that I don't have in my dock and it can be cumbersome. Thanks for the comment though.
  • Reply 1556 of 1795
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
  • Reply 1557 of 1795
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
  • Reply 1558 of 1795
    agent69agent69 Posts: 88member

Bigger!

Here is my current desktop. I am going for simple with this one.
  • Reply 1559 of 1795
    This update features underwear. But It won't be up for long.

• Reply 1560 of 1795
    Quote:

This update features underwear. But It won't be up for long.

Ahhhh! That is my favorite kind of underwear (pictured above). It will grace my desktop for today, and then will safely go into my "salmonstk" folder.

Escher