Apple sneaks into several Super Bowl 50 commercials

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    commodus said:
    No, "most" Android phones don't look like iPhones. Besides that being a difficult thing to quantify (really, you've looked closely at hundreds or thousands of Android phones?), it's based on a flawed premise: that virtually any touchscreen-only phone is copying the iPhone. Yes, Apple was instrumental to popularizing the concept, but it's not as if a full-touch phone was a completely novel idea in January 2007. A device looks like an iPhone if it apes specific design cues, not if it's all-touch. An HTC One A9 is conspicuously imitating the iPhone (even if the iPhone 6/6s borrowed some HTC elements); a Moto X Pure Edition, LG V10 or Sony Xperia Z5 is not. The sooner we accept this, the sooner we embrace a more intelligent, nuanced form of fandom. Daniel's "all companies owe everything to Apple!" stance doesn't help anyone.
    Sorry, but Samsung slavishly copied the iPhone for years and the entire category of "smartphones" (admittedly a "dumb" moniker if ever there was one) as we understand it today exists thanks to Apple. Samsung, Google and other fast followers are wannabes.
    icoco3Dan Andersen
  • Reply 22 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    And what, no other design was ever copied? Did you boo hoo and belly ache when the flip phonee was copie? Did you moan and groan when the candy bar was copied? Did you go around kicking cats and dogs when the physical keyboard smartphone was copied? If not, then why not? 
    Ah, so you do agree it was copied. Perhaps you should re-read the original post.

And, let's not even get started on the OS front....
    Did I ever deny that it was copied?  What about the OS, rows of icons? What an epiphany. That was never done before. 
  • Reply 23 of 36
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,201member
    Apparently Apple donated $2M just so Tim could get his primo seats.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    jfanning said:
     (although most Android phones now look exactly like an iPhone, too). The ad's cover image on YouTube clearly presents Schwarzenegger holding an actual Apple device however.

Really Daniel?  Most android phones look like an iPhone, is that because they are rectangle shaped, with rounded corners?
    That was a particularly redundant comment if ever I saw one.  In this case a white Apple Logo is one thing Scamsung haven't yet had the balls to copy.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Sorry, but Samsung slavishly copied the iPhone for years and the entire category of "smartphones" (admittedly a "dumb" moniker if ever there was one) as we understand it today exists thanks to Apple. Samsung, Google and other fast followers are wannabes.
    Samsung was uncannily close with the original Galaxy S and S II, and there have been design cues that have surfaced or persisted (the basic concept of a physical home button, the metal trim on the S6).  I'm not saying that there aren't conscious attempts to clone Apple.

However, it's 2016... not 2010.  The notion that every touchscreen phone on the market is an iPhone clone is just as flawed as claiming that every QWERTY keyboard phone is a BlackBerry clone, or that every first-person shooter game is a Doom clone.  At a certain point, you have to accept that a pioneer no longer defines the whole market, and that a once-groundbreaking technology is simply the lingua franca of the industry.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    jfanning said:
     (although most Android phones now look exactly like an iPhone, too). The ad's cover image on YouTube clearly presents Schwarzenegger holding an actual Apple device however.

Really Daniel?  Most android phones look like an iPhone, is that because they are rectangle shaped, with rounded corners?
    The phone depicted in the ad had iPhone 6 rounded edges and telltale antenna bands, but thats also exactly what an HTC looks like.

But the point is that when people see something that looks like an iPhone, they don't think, "hey, maybe that's an "HTC One9 m9 0pja110."

Same with Apple Watch: all the watches people are buying are AW, not some device that looks similar but has a different crown and a bigger bezel and a simpler band. People see a watch on a wrist doing apps and they think Apple Watch.

Microsoft had the same issue after paying $$$ to put Surface Pro on NFL sidelines but everyone called them iPads anyways, at least until the network went down. 
  • Reply 27 of 36
    commodus said:
    No, "most" Android phones don't look like iPhones. Besides that being a difficult thing to quantify (really, you've looked closely at hundreds or thousands of Android phones?), it's based on a flawed premise: that virtually any touchscreen-only phone is copying the iPhone. Yes, Apple was instrumental to popularizing the concept, but it's not as if a full-touch phone was a completely novel idea in January 2007. A device looks like an iPhone if it apes specific design cues, not if it's all-touch. An HTC One A9 is conspicuously imitating the iPhone (even if the iPhone 6/6s borrowed some HTC elements); a Moto X Pure Edition, LG V10 or Sony Xperia Z5 is not. The sooner we accept this, the sooner we embrace a more intelligent, nuanced form of fandom. Daniel's "all companies owe everything to Apple!" stance doesn't help anyone.
    We? Who is "we"?
    I call on you to support a more intelligent, nuanced form of Apple criticism. I've been in the forums for years, and it's filled with constant attack from a point of view I would describe as "Apple doesn't deserve any credit because Apple never really invented anything!" This too is based on the flawed premise that "everyone copies from everyone" so Apple must have stolen the original iPhone from...LG! Here's a "LOL@APPLE" photoshop meme to prove it... The attackers whine and get defensive everytime Apple wins a new patent (curved camera sensor?) and dig up a similar patent to "prove" that Apple is just copying. It offends them deeply that anyone would grant Apple a patent because they don't believe Apple should receive patents of any sort. Some of believe Apple is dangerous if granted patents, because they would use them to prevent Android makers from duplicating the iPhone's user experience. They want to preserve the freedom to have an iPhone-like experience without the indignity of paying Apple for it. 

Instead of calling on Apple fans to "embrace" your version of fandom, I call on you to actively censure the anti-Apple rhetoric that is constantly streaming into the forums.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jfanning said:
    At the time that Apple introduced the iPhone, the flip phone was the popular design, which immediately fell out of favor for the candy bar, a rectangular phone with rounded edges, with a full size screen, edge to edge, which used rounded square app icons, email & Internet surfing capabilities.... well they just looked like the iPhone.  The Android OS which was based on a mobile phone OS that Google had acquired & resembled a typical mobile phone OS was redesigned along with the reference phone to mimic that of the iPhone.  So smartphone designs took on the look & feel of the iPhone.
    The flip phone was only popular in the US, most other places always had the candy bar, or a slider. 

But going back to Daniels statement, he claimed "most" android phone look like an iPhone, there is only so many ways you can design a full screen device, and that shape wasn't Apples invention.  So using his logic, all iPhones look liek most Android phones.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    We? Who is "we"?
    I call on you to support a more intelligent, nuanced form of Apple criticism. I've been in the forums for years, and it's filled with constant attack from a point of view I would describe as "Apple doesn't deserve any credit because Apple never really invented anything!" This too is based on the flawed premise that "everyone copies from everyone" so Apple must have stolen the original iPhone from...LG! Here's a "LOL@APPLE" photoshop meme to prove it... The attackers whine and get defensive everytime Apple wins a new patent (curved camera sensor?) and dig up a similar patent to "prove" that Apple is just copying. It offends them deeply that anyone would grant Apple a patent because they don't believe Apple should receive patents of any sort. Some of believe Apple is dangerous if granted patents, because they would use them to prevent Android makers from duplicating the iPhone's user experience. They want to preserve the freedom to have an iPhone-like experience without the indignity of paying Apple for it. 

Instead of calling on Apple fans to "embrace" your version of fandom, I call on you to actively censure the anti-Apple rhetoric that is constantly streaming into the forums.
    We?  Every tech enthusiast, really.

It sounds like you're conflating me with the Anything But Apple camp, or at least suggesting that I'm ignoring their problems.  The point is not to diminish what Apple did to transform smartphones.  I'm well aware of the myths surrounding phones like the LG Prada and Samsung F700.  Rather, it's to get rid of that angry, dismissive strain of fandom that insists that everyone, everywhere is always imitating Apple.  No, they're not.  As with most things in life, the truth is somewhere in between the extremes.  The "everyone copies everyone" argument is wrong, but so is arguing that Apple is the lone, eternal inspiration for touchscreen smartphones.  Look at what those Android phones are really like, rather than simply lumping them into the "iPhone clone" category sight-unseen.

Healthy fandom involves humility, self-criticism, an eagerness to ground yourself in reality even if it's less than flattering.  It's like a good research paper: your argument is that much stronger when you acknowledge imperfections and unanswered questions, rather than leaving yourself open to attack by pretending that those problems don't exist.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    cali said:
    You gotta be fu**ing kidding....

EVERY 'droid looks like an iPhone. THEY ARE KNOCKOFF PRODCUTS. All the denial in the world will never change this.

Rectangular phones with rounded edges and big screens ARE EXACTLY why. What more are you asking for?

Are you too young to remember when everyone's phones looked unique? After iPhone everyone threw design and innovation in the garbage.

Why do I have to be kidding?

Every Droid?  Does Motorola still make the droid?  Daniel was talking about Android Phones, not sure why you are now restricting to one model?  How is the outline shape of the phone Apples invention when so many phones were that shape prior to the iPhone?

Maybe I am too young, I only got a cellphone in 1995, I was a late bloomer in this area.  But it was candy bar phone, what was rectangle shaped, and had rounded corners, and come to think of it, every phone I have had since was rectangle shaped, and has had rounded recorners.

The shapes of phones has always been modeled similar to the popular model of the time, when Motorola was ruling the world all phones looked like their phones, same as Nokia etc.  Just because they are the same shape doesn't make them a copy, or lack innovation
  • Reply 31 of 36
    jfanning said:
    The phone depicted in the ad had iPhone 6 rounded edges and telltale antenna bands, but thats also exactly what an HTC looks like.

But the point is that when people see something that looks like an iPhone, they don't think, "hey, maybe that's an "HTC One9 m9 0pja110."

Same with Apple Watch: all the watches people are buying are AW, not some device that looks similar but has a different crown and a bigger bezel and a simpler band. People see a watch on a wrist doing apps and they think Apple Watch.

Microsoft had the same issue after paying $$$ to put Surface Pro on NFL sidelines but everyone called them iPads anyways, at least until the network went down. 
    Daniel, do you cry when someone says they are off to Xerox something?  If not, why not?

All the watches people are buying are AW?  Get you head out of American, I have seen a grand total of four Apple watches in the wild, and two of them were the shop model.

Also, what is NFL, is that some American thing?
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 32 of 36
    jfanning said:

Daniel, do you cry when someone says they are off to Xerox something?  If not, why not?

All the watches people are buying are AW?  Get you head out of American, I have seen a grand total of four Apple watches in the wild, and two of them were the shop model.

Your post makes no sense at all, sorry.

Unlike DED's article.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 33 of 36
    ac88ac88 Posts: 24member
    If you check any of the post game press conference at the SB or at any other sporting event, you'll see on average 2-4 reporters holding up their iPhone to record the comments from the player(s). As well, it's not uncommon for the announcers to talk about the "iPads" that are being used on the sidelines, even though MSFT has paid for the Surface placement.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    jfanning said:

Your post makes no sense at all, sorry.

Unlike DED's article.
    I was responding to Daniels reply, please tell me why it doesn't make any sense?
  • Reply 35 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ac88 said:
    If you check any of the post game press conference at the SB or at any other sporting event, you'll see on average 2-4 reporters holding up their iPhone to record the comments from the player(s). As well, it's not uncommon for the announcers to talk about the "iPads" that are being used on the sidelines, even though MSFT has paid for the Surface placement.
    I watched many NFL games this past season and not once did I hear anyone refer to the tablets they were using as iPads. They did the previous season but not this one. 
  • Reply 36 of 36
    The company didn't advertise in the Super Bowl again until 1999, when it presented a plodding spot featuring the psychotic HAL 9000 computer from "2001: A Space Odyssey," reciting how Macintosh computers survived the Y2K apocalypse because they were designed to deal with four digit years, unlike many computing systems prior to the new Millennium. 
    Plodding because they got the actual voice actor back to read for the part and he nailed the performance again. That’s a good thing.
    SpamSandwich