Your first computer ever???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What was the first computer you ever had??

Mine was a Spectravideo 286... it was '87 or '88 i guess.. a second hand one. Commodore 64 was something really woow...

The first one i had used was in '84 .. at my friends home. his dad used the computer for work and it was really woow... we could play hangman sometimes... it had something like 20 or 30 words in total in its memory for that game.

I remember how with that 286 i was so grateful when someone could copy me an entire floppy of games in dos!!! i miss those games.. simple ones, where you just shoot the airplanes or games like pacman ...

It did have already a floppy drive.. ehehe!

Then passed to the micr... (ups.. i was about to say a forbidden word here??) .. some pcs.

The last pc was an Acer ... (laptop, 512t) which i got in '99 .. and now runs only redhat (7.3) ...

Untill i abandoned all the microsoft stuff and fell in love with an iBook )) (combo..)

How about your first computers and computer experiences???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    My first computer was an amiga 2000 with a HD 40 GB and a PC card in it.

This computer was really amazing at the time, and i have play a lot with it.

Now Amiga is dead; it's the end of a fine story (nearly dead i should say, but practically it's dead)
  • Reply 2 of 84
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    TRS-something I'm not sure it was an 80
  • Reply 3 of 84
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    The first computer I ever owned, was an awful Pc, that I built myself, 3 reasons its awful,

1. Its running Windows

2. The sound card and video card share IRQ's so the computer crashe's say once or twice aday

3. I am still using it.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Apple IIc and I still have it in the closet
  • Reply 5 of 84
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    commodore 64

commodore 128D

amiga 1040ST

mac se

mac plus

mac IIfx

mac 7500/100

g4 400

all (exept g4 400) still standing next to my cube 450
  • Reply 6 of 84
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Commodore 64, including 5-1/4" floppy, dot matrix printer that we could never really get to print, and a color monitor which, after the computer lost it's novelty, we hooked up to a VCR to watch TV and movies through after our main TV blew it's tube. Eventually, we got a new TV and second VCR, but kept the other VCR and monitor connected and moved both to another room.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    1985, I think. I'm pretty sure I was seven, but maybe I was eight.

At any rate, Macintosh, 512k baby! It is dead now though

Man, I loved to play dark castle and mouse stampede! Also, I could bring nice typed up book reports in to school which at the time was very rare and a big plus to a kid with hand writing as bad as mine!
  • Reply 8 of 84
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    Atari 800, circa 1982 (or somewhere there-abouts). Good times.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I got this cube just after I turned eleven, one year ago. It was my first computer ever. The first one I ever used was a Packard Bell.
  • Reply 10 of 84
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    TI 99/4A (my family's first computer)

Tandy 1000SX (8088 PC) (next family computer)

LC (my brother's)

LC II (the family's next computer)

7100/66 (first computer i owned myself. still have it)

iMac DV (tangerine 400MHz. sold to my brother)

eMac (current machine)

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: pesi ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 84
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Texas instruments TI-35 with red LCD screen OOOOOH!

IBM PC AT 70 640k RAM No HD 9Dual 3.5 floppies) OOOOH!

PowerTower Pro 250

TiBook 400

I will be buying the new tower when it is released.

MSKR
  • Reply 12 of 84
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I used older Macs and Apples in school but my first computer at home was a Performa 6115 in 1995.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    mediamanmediaman Posts: 169member
    I had a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 'rubber keys' in the early 80's. with the expanded ram (it had a big sticker on the side of the box with "Now with 48K expanded ram" enblazened on it.

It used Tape as storage, you could copy commercial games using any old tape to tape recorder.)
  • Reply 14 of 84
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Sinclair Spectrum 16k for games.

My Dad had a Mac Plus later (still works! - used to play Dr Who and the Daleks).
  • Reply 15 of 84
    First ever:

IMSAI 8080 ( 1977 )

First portable:

TRS-80 model 100 ( 1984 ) <a href="http://www.geocities.com/~compcloset/TRS80Model100.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/~compcloset/TRS80Model100.htm</a>;

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 84
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    First computer --&gt; Timex Sinclair 2000 (2KB of RAM!)

Then came the TI-99/4A which I traded even steven for a Commodore 64 and a GrandMaster Flash (vinyl) album.

Next was a 386 which became a 486 thru beaucoup upgrades (learned with this comp. that major upgrades aren't worth it at all, just RAM, HD & video).
  • Reply 17 of 84
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    First computer my family had was an SE, but I was too young to remember it. First I remember was us having both an SE/30 and a IIcx at the same time. As my parents got faster computers for their work, they handed down the slower ones. So in order, here are all the computers I have owned:

SE/30

IIcx

Quadra 610

7100/80

8100/100

PowerBook G3/233

We've also owned a 7200/120, a 7100/66, a Quadra 950, a Performa 630, a Bondi iMac, a PowerBook 1400, another SE, a Blue and White G3/350 upgraded to G4/400, and a PowerBook G4/550.

I remember how cool it was to get my own "color computer" for myself. I couldn't believe it when my parents let me have the IIcx. I liked to play Escape Velocity on it.
  • Reply 18 of 84
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    My first owned was a 6500/225. I got in the game late I suppose but at least I knew to go mac.

Hey, "once you go mac you never go back' lol
  • Reply 19 of 84
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    my first was an amiga 500. it was the most amazing computer in the world because it had a program that could translate things i type into speech. My friends and I would spend hours just putting dirty words into it. I love the way it sounded out words like "shit". Oh, those were the days.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    Commodore Vic 20

Had a tape drive, yes like audio cassettes. You had to keep track of where programs were stored by the counter. Programs took 5-10 minutes to load.

Had a couple of games on cartridges as well.