Apple issues new version of iOS 9.2.1 to fix iPhones bricked by 'Error 53'

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Wednesday released an updated version of iOS 9.2.1 -- the current edition of its mobile operating system -- that will allow users whose iPhones were bricked by third-party home button repairs to bring their devices back to life.

The patched software -- which will not be available over the air -- carries build number 13D20 and is flagged for the iPad mini 3 and later, iPad Air 2, and iPhone 6 and later. As noted by TechCrunch, applying the update will make disabled iPhones usable again but will not re-enable Touch ID unless the home button is serviced by Apple.

"We apologize for any inconvenience. This was designed to be a factory test and was not intended to affect customers," Apple said in a statement provided to the website. "Customers who paid for an out-of-warranty replacement of their device based on this issue should contact AppleCare about a reimbursement."

The somewhat bizarre "Error 53" issue first surfaced earlier this month. It caused phones whose home buttons had been replaced by third-party repair shops to fail a security validation, rendering them unusable.

Apple's update and apology comes just over a week after a class action suit was filed over the incident.
lymfbrakken

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Good. I said as much on the original Guardian article and got flamed for my trouble.
    razorpittechlover
  • Reply 2 of 37
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    "The patched software -- which will not be available over the air"

I guess it can only be updated using iTunes. Retro!
  • Reply 3 of 37
    "the update will make disabled iPhones usable again but will not re-enable Touch ID unless the home button is serviced by Apple."

Touch ID was already disabled the moment the Touch ID sensor was replaced with a non-Touch ID enabled Home Button anyway. Only Apple authorized techs can replace a broken button with a new Touch ID because of the way the sensor interconnects with the secure partition on the A7/8/9 chip, which has been the case since the 5s was released. 
    razorpitjbishop1039
  • Reply 4 of 37
    If this was never Apple's intention to begin with why didn't they say that from the very beginning and say they were working on a software update to fix it? This gives the appearance that filing a class action lawsuit made Apple change its mind. Or worse this really wasn't Apple's intention but then one has to question how in the hell was it not caught before being pushed to consumers?
    edited February 2016 brakken
  • Reply 5 of 37
    If this was never Apple's intention to begin with why didn't they say that from the very beginning and say they were working on a software update to fix it?
    Because they never do that. As a rule they tend to work on the issue then only once a solution is available do they weigh in..
    ronntenlySpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 37
    sounds like this is the solution everybody wanted -- disable the security-related elements due to the third-party replacement touchID, but allow the device to continue to operate. win-win.
    jfc1138ronnai46
  • Reply 7 of 37
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    ""Customers who paid for an out-of-warranty replacement of their device based on this issue should contact AppleCare about a reimbursement.""

Good for them.
    ronnai46
  • Reply 8 of 37
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"the update will make disabled iPhones usable again but will not re-enable Touch ID unless the home button is serviced by Apple."

Touch ID was already disabled the moment the Touch ID sensor was replaced with a non-Touch ID enabled Home Button anyway. Only Apple authorized techs can replace a broken button with a new Touch ID because of the way the sensor interconnects with the secure partition on the A7/8/9 chip, which has been the case since the 5s was released. 
    And by restating that they keep the issue clear.
    ronnai46
  • Reply 9 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Guess i'm going to have to wait for iOS 9.2.2 to fix my 5s Touch ID which was disabled by the iOS 9.2.1. 
  • Reply 10 of 37
    adrayven said:
    If this was never Apple's intention to begin with why didn't they say that from the very beginning and say they were working on a software update to fix it?
    Because they never do that. As a rule they tend to work on the issue then only once a solution is available do they weigh in..
    Not a good excuse. There's a lot of things Apple is doing now that it's never done before. Why wait for someone to file a class action lawsuit?
    brakken
  • Reply 11 of 37
    kkerst said:

This makes sense given that affected units were essentially bricked, and wouldn't be able to receive an OTA update anyway. 
    mainyehcchia
  • Reply 12 of 37

jfc1138 said:

And by restating that they keep the issue clear.
    The third party technician would have already made this clear when he told the customer "replacing your TID Home Button with a standard non-TID click button will disable TID functionality, but will cost a hundred dollars less than an authorized TID replacement. Is that trade off worth it to you?" 
    I know because I've had this discussion with customers several times. A disturbing majority of them had never even programmed their Touch ID's to begin with, so the loss wasn't great to them. 
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Now what are the haters going to complain about? Apple makes a software update available for an EXTREMELY small number of users and also offers reimbursement for those few who paid for a replacement.

I'm having a hard time trying to guess how those losers/haters are going to spin this as a negative, but I'm sure somebody will think of something.
    wonkothesanelostkiwibrakkenronnai46nolamacguy
  • Reply 14 of 37
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    webweasel said:
    Good. I said as much on the original Guardian article and got flamed for my trouble.
    Probably got flamed for your tone, like 99% people who crapped out replies on this subject. Post your post here so I evaluate how "poised" your reply was (or do I need to track it down).

ronnai46bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 15 of 37
    adrayven said:
    Not a good excuse. There's a lot of things Apple is doing now that it's never done before. Why wait for someone to file a class action lawsuit?
    You really think that in the 4 days since the lawsuit they wrote this? Are you serious?
    Sometimes I like what you write; but this makes no sense AT ALL.
    williamlondonronnai46nolamacguy
  • Reply 16 of 37
    kkerst said:

Since the Iphones are not working how on earth could it work OTA?.
    ronnai46
  • Reply 17 of 37
    If this was never Apple's intention to begin with why didn't they say that from the very beginning and say they were working on a software update to fix it? This gives the appearance that filing a class action lawsuit made Apple change its mind. Or worse this really wasn't Apple's intention but then one has to question how in the hell was it not caught before being pushed to consumers?
    It will be easy to prove that's not the case unless someone believes in magic programming.
    It's possible they've been working on this for a while and it just came to fruition now.

The shitheads who believe in appearances are usually not those who actually own a Iphone generally, they would believe the worst regardless.
    ronnai46
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Reminds me of this scene from Office Space:

• Reply 19 of 37
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Now what are the haters going to complain about? Apple makes a software update available for an EXTREMELY small number of users and also offers reimbursement for those few who paid for a replacement.

I'm having a hard time trying to guess how those losers/haters are going to spin this as a negative, but I'm sure somebody will think of something.
    The only negative about this were all the technical experts and the security experts on this forum who swore black and blue that disabling the entire device was the only correct response. A couple of those same people are now here congratulating apple for resolving the situation.

i also congratulate apple for their response.

rogifan_oldbrakkentechloversingularitymuppetry
  • Reply 20 of 37
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    This is EXACTLY what I tried to explain to people - repeatedly!  But they were so willing to assume the worst about Apple - or so ignorant about the "proper" security response I was also flamed repeatedly.

All along, *this* was the only thing that made sense.
    ai46techlovermuppetry