Apple chip suppliers gearing up capacity for 'iPhone 7' production - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    sog35 said:
    pmz said:
    At the risk of sounding like a troll....what is so "highly anticipated" about the iPhone 7? We've reached a point with the iPhone 6s where the phone is so good, that improving upon it in a meaningful way is...difficult. I've upgrade my phone every single year without fail, from iPhone 1 through iPhone 6s. I'm always taking delivery on launch weekend.

But, can any iPhone 6s owner really say that they are "highly anticipating" the iPhone 7?
    Its a new generation iPhone. Most people upgrade every 2 years. It will be an all new case design.  Alot to be excited about.  Just like people were excited about the iPhone4, iPhone5, and iPhone6.

To me the biggest features are form factor changes in future iPhones:

1. smaller bezels. That way the 5.5 inch phone can have a much smaller footprint and 4.7 inch phones can truly be one handed.
    2. delete home button. Again to make footprint smaller.
    3. Foldable screens. Imagine a 5.5 inch phone that can fold to form factor smaller than the iPhone5?

Of course many upgrade simply because batteries don't last forever and start to degrade after 2 years.

With lease options many people see it as a great deal to pay $25 a month for the best phone on the planet. The smartphone is now the most important item for most people.  Paying a little extra each month is well worth it to get the latest and greatest. So yes there is alot to get excited about.
    None of what you describe will be a feature of the iPhone 7. It's not losing the home button, the bezels are already small enough, and its not going to be foldable. Its also not going to be as dramatically different looking as 4, 5 and 6 were from their predecessor.

So, staying in reality, in the scope of what will actually be happening....why is it highly anticipated?

P.S. I'm sure you will diverge off from my question and get hung up on the part where I tell you none of your proposed guesses are happening. Just note: I'm not interested. I'm only interested in an actual answer to my question: why is the iPhone 7 (the actual iPhone 7, not the one one you fantasize about) "highly anticipated".

Seems to me like the use of that term is just par for the course now and doesn't actually carry any meaning.

• Reply 22 of 30
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    pmz said:
     highly anticipated "iPhone 7" launch.
    At the risk of sounding like a troll....what is so "highly anticipated" about the iPhone 7? We've reached a point with the iPhone 6s where the phone is so good, that improving upon it in a meaningful way is...difficult. I've upgrade my phone every single year without fail, from iPhone 1 through iPhone 6s. I'm always taking delivery on launch weekend.

But, can any iPhone 6s owner really say that they are "highly anticipating" the iPhone 7?
    Don't know about anyone else but I've just about exhausted the iPhone 6 camera image capture possibilities. Apple can no longer crow about having the best camera in a phone - it was true but not so much now. Yes, it's very good, great response, good camera software etc but I would like to see an improved dynamic range...about 2 stops should be possible and a bit higher pixel count. This would tame the highlights and boost low light photos.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    pmz said:

Highly anticipated by me as I am really hoping for a fully waterproof phone . I will buy one for each of my kids and myself day one.
    Its not going to be "fully" waterproof, whatever that means. But it will be measurably more water resistant than the last generation, just like every new iPhone. Just like the camera will be measurably better, as it is year over year.

By no means am I trying to discount these modest improvements, as it is no doubt getting more and more difficult to greatly improve upon some of these aspects every year, and to do so at all is a triumph.

I'm more curious in the strange delusion that seems to come over people, when "highly anticipating" something that, at the moment, is not rumored to contain anything worth "highly anticipating".

I ask the question, what are people "highly anticipating" about the next iPhone, and instead I get wish list responses that are almost certainly not aspects of the next iPhone. I'm not sure people know what anticipating means. Anticipate means you actually expect the next iPhone to be: this. Not, in your wildest dreams, it would be this.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    pmz said:

Perhaps not everyone, but I am because I'm on a two year upgrade schedule, although I will agree that even with my iPhone 6, technologically, I really don't need a new iPhone, but I can pretty much guarantee there will be people queued up on launch day, so yeah, highly anticipated seems about right.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    pmz said:
    Highly anticipated by me as I am really hoping for a fully waterproof phone . I will buy one for each of my kids and myself day one.
    Its not going to be "fully" waterproof, whatever that means. But it will be measurably more water resistant than the last generation, just like every new iPhone. Just like the camera will be measurably better, as it is year over year.

By no means am I trying to discount these modest improvements, as it is no doubt getting more and more difficult to greatly improve upon some of these aspects every year, and to do so at all is a triumph.

I'm more curious in the strange delusion that seems to come over people, when "highly anticipating" something that, at the moment, is not rumored to contain anything worth "highly anticipating".

I ask the question, what are people "highly anticipating" about the next iPhone, and instead I get wish list responses that are almost certainly not aspects of the next iPhone. I'm not sure people know what anticipating means. Anticipate means you actually expect the next iPhone to be: this. Not, in your wildest dreams, it would be this.
    Even if you aren't "highly anticipating it", others are, and the media is and will be pimping the big horserace between the premium Android smartphones, and the iPhone 7.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 26 of 30
    You seem to have a hard time believing any one could be highly anticipating another camera first for Apple, but we know they have huge team working on improving the camera. 
  • Reply 27 of 30
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    jmegapac said:
    pmz said:

iPhone 7 is highly anticipated by many non-iPhone 6s users (i.e., iPhone 4s/5/5s/6 users).
    Yep, exactly. I'm currently a 5s user and I'm really looking forward to see what the 7 has to offer. I'm in an upgrade cycle this year. The 6/6s are nice enough, but I didn't find them very compelling. My 5s is a great smartphone (and a classier looking and feeling product than the 6/6s in my opinion...especially in Space Gray) but its going to be 3 years old when the 7 is released and I'm having battery degradation issues now. I have it permanently connected into a Mophie Juice Pack battery case because of that. But apart from the battery it works perfectly. And even though the Mophie adds weight and bulk, its actually a lot more grippier to hold and more comfortable in hand...so much for the theory that thinner is better!

PS. I was thinking of getting an Watch (the Stainless Space Black version) but the battery degradation I'm noticing on my iPhone is making me think twice about that. The watch is pricey and doesn't benefit from the upgrade and payment schemes the iPhone enjoys with the cellular carriers. I'm not made of money and can't buy a whole new one every couple of years.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 28 of 30
    I'm excited for the 7 because of the rumors of:

No headphone jack (which should = bigger battery)
    Smaller bezel (same screen real estate w/ smaller dimensions)
    Possibly get rid of mechanical home button
    At least 2 speakers, if not 4, for those who walk and listen to podcasts

My age keeps creeping higher while my eye sight declines. My 5S is becoming more and more difficult to work with.

For me, a 5S -> 7+ upgrade is highly anticipated.

I know Apple will continuously work to make their devices thinner and lighter. This is fine, as long as there are case options out there that increase the grip and simultaneously protect the screen. I held my dad's 6S+ in my hand for 10 seconds and damn near dropped it trying to manipulate it in one hand like I do my 5S. That thing is slick with zero grip.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    pmz said:
     highly anticipated "iPhone 7" launch.

I tend to agree. The iphone 7plus has with the double lens camera already a selling point. But the iphone 7 not. They should give it a higher scren resolution. 4k and also quad hd are surely not necessary for the screensize and also draining the battery too much. But full hd should be a normal thing in 2016. apple updates their screens with the iphone 4 (hd display) and the iphone 5 (better colours and contrast). But since them there has been no update anymore on the regular version. A full hd display on the iphone 7 could be a selling point since apple is falling behind in this and it's one of the major points of criticism for people who are unsure whether to buy apple or an android phone. Many chose android bc of the better screens. Wireless charging could be another selling point. For me the 720p display on the iphone 6 is not enough. You see the pixels way too much. I would like to have a better screen.