San Bernardino victims to support FBI in iPhone decryption fight

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    e350coupe said:
    Are the majority of commenters really believing what you are saying. The FBI is trying to prevent further episodes like this, and Tim Cook is only interested in protecting his bottom dollar, the entire worth of Apple is not worth the single life of any of those of who died. Come to reality people we do not protect these people, and the only ones concerned in their protection, are obviously doing something, they have to protect. I guess the people who side with Apple on this will not care until it someone they care, or love, that gets killed.
    Are you really believing what you're saying? You are making an assumption that there is actually something of value on the iPhone. The fact is, the government dropped the ball long before this iPhone was even an issue. Tashfeen Malik should have never been approved for a K1 visa.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    e350coupe said:
    Are the majority of commenters really believing what you are saying. The FBI is trying to prevent further episodes like this, and Tim Cook is only interested in protecting his bottom dollar, the entire worth of Apple is not worth the single life of any of those of who died. Come to reality people we do not protect these people, and the only ones concerned in their protection, are obviously doing something, they have to protect. I guess the people who side with Apple on this will not care until it someone they care, or love, that gets killed.
    Are you really believing what you're saying? You are making an assumption that there is actually something of value on the iPhone. The fact is, the government dropped the ball long before this iPhone was even an issue. Tashfeen Malik should have never been approved for a K1 visa.
    Yes - but you are conflating several different issues. It is entirely reasonable for the FBI to want to examine the contents of the phone and, in fact, it would be negligent of them not to try. The unreasonable assumption is your implied one - that there is nothing of interest on the phone. That's not how good investigations proceed. But, as noted elsewhere - there are limits to how far the FBI can expect a third party (Apple) to jump through hoops to help them, especially if such action would have other seriously negative consequences.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    muppetry said:
    Yes - but you are conflating several different issues. It is entirely reasonable for the FBI to want to examine the contents of the phone and, in fact, it would be negligent of them not to try. The unreasonable assumption is your implied one - that there is nothing of interest on the phone. That's not how good investigations proceed. But, as noted elsewhere - there are limits to how far the FBI can expect a third party (Apple) to jump through hoops to help them, especially if such action would have other seriously negative consequences.
    I don't disagree at all. The FBI should be investigating everything. I'm not implying that there is nothing of value on this phone. When people make comments such as you would only care if someone you loved was killed or this could help prevent a future attack are making the assumption that there is something of value on the iPhone. I'm just stating the fact that those are assumptions. 
  • Reply 64 of 71
    e350coupe said:
    You are seriously misguided and quite lame in your attempt to claim siding with Apple on the privacy issue means they don't care about the loss and pain suffered by loved ones and family in San Bernadino. As difficult and intellectually challenging as you might find it, the two are unrelated. Your arguments, especially the construct "the only ones concerned in their protection, are obviously doing something, they have to protect" are so weak as to not be particularly worthy of debate. I get it, you are angry, most Americans are angry, I am angry and we all advocate for security and safety. Unfortunately, you do so at the cost of our freedom and constitutional rights. Additionally, it seems you must be naive if you believe the governments claims regarding what they are seeking and implications of it. To sum it up, you are full of it and the attempt to paint supporters of Apple's position as perpetrators of terrorism is pathetic.
  • Reply 65 of 71

emoeller said:
    Feb 16th is also Apple's Annual General Shareholder meeting, its going to be a busy day at Apple...
    What makes you say that? The vast majority of Apple shareholders will overwhelmingly support Apple's position. If they and the investment community didn't, the sick would have already been smashed well beyond it's current level.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    With all due respect, what a bunch of bullshit....

"A lawyer representing the victims told Reuters that his clients have a special interest in seeing Syed Ryzwan Farook's iPhone 5c unlocked and its data analyzed. "

• And that will help the victims how? Total nonsense.

"They were targeted by terrorists, and they need to know why, how this could happen," said Stephen Larson, who served as a federal judge before going private.

We already know this information:
    • Why? Because they are at war with the US.
    • How? They were able to buy assault weapons in the US, and all the ammunition they desired
    numenorean
  • Reply 67 of 71
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

e350coupe said:
    Go get yourself a good education as you are totally clueless on the subject matter. Freedom and democracy come at a price - get over it. The FBI is callously trying to use an emotional issue to get what they want, which is to be able to break into any given phone any time they please. They should be ashamed of themselves. They are the ones that screwed this phone up! Let them do their jobs with the resources they already have - that is what we are spending 10's of billions every year on national security for. 
  • Reply 68 of 71
    They want encryption undermined so they may POSSIBLY find some kind smoking gun on an abandoned work phone? There are at least a billion people who will be suddenly vulnerable and they may disagree.
    numenorean
  • Reply 69 of 71
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    knowitall said:
    hittrj01 said:

Here's the thing, though: if it's not a DoD wipe, ie alternate 0's and 1's are scanned across the entire storage drive multiple times in succession, then it's meaningless. I've been able to recover once-thought lost items from a reformatted hard drive using nothing but open-source consumer tools to find the ghost files.  I would imagine the FBI would be able to get the information they needed even after wiping it.
    Recovery from an ssd drive is not as straight forward because such a drive has active management.
    I tested this by throwing away some files on my mac and then using retrieval software to get it back.
    Almost all files were gone.
    Also recovering the info doesn't help decrypting it.
    Actually, only writing a bit once on an ssd is enough, this is because it's a flip flop and designed to have only two states. This is different for magnetic media because that's a more or less analogue process where new info is written over old but a magnetic 'shadow' still exists.

• Reply 70 of 71
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    This is the real govt game, to use a pointless emotional response to trick the public to side with them to get what they really want which is no real security for anyone on an device. Blind Freddy knows that there's nothing on this particular phone. Worth a read.
    WOW, worth a read indeed. This forensic guy is the real deal and full of great information. You pointed to one article but he also has a handful of other equally fascinating and informative posts on this matter, ranging from 10 Reasons Farook’s Work Phone Likely Won’t Have Any Evidence to FBI’s Interference with iCloud Backups and more.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    These victims are being used as pawns and exploited by the government to add an emotional component to the issue. Cook is right this needs to allow a large body of experts work this out. Everyone except the terrorists want to get at this data. Let's do it the right way.