Bill Gates sides with FBI on Apple encryption fight, says scope is limited to one iPhone

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 149
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Oh, by the way, Gates was on Bloomberg this morning offering a very smart, balanced view regarding the current situation.  He said earlier reports clearly were incorrect when characterizing his position.  This entire thread is irrelevant.
    Have you actually fracking read the original? No. The response, probably not.
    You're comment is what is irrelevant.
    He's trying to walk back is government ass licking idiocy (and even in that article he's not that great at it).

The title of the article in AppleInsider is irresponsible and inexact since it's second reply is not even a full retraction.
  • Reply 142 of 149
    Tim Cook is a misguided liberal fool, putting his own small minded thinking above common sense.  His lies about the scope of this operation in question are another loss of credibility at Apple.  Jobs would have handled this in a much more realistic, low key manner.  The cat's out of the bag, and Tim let it out.  Again, if there was going to be a bombing or uzi attack on Apple headquarters, you can bet that Tim Cook would open ANY phone to thwart that action.
    The tool here is the reactionary demagogic ill informed dumbasses like you.

There is no fracking lies, the scope is now up to 13 phones and everything that's done is not self contained, there is an article by a IOS forensic expert that dispels your lie. Then  here is no stopping the DOJ or FBI to use the exact same language they used here thousands more times, and police and governments abroad can also use whatever they feel right too.

• Reply 143 of 149
    rbonner said:
    I ask again, if this is a one time thing, run the phone over to Apple and have them do it in house. No risk of this being released into the wild.
    We answered bud, it's not "kept in house" because it has to go through the legal system afterward, including the defense and external experts; secondly the DOJ asked THE EXACT SAME THING for 12 more phones so this same release into the wild of Apple info will occur 12 more time. Also, there is nothing to stop the DOJ and the FBI from asking this same thing thousands of times more (like the 13 they now have asked).

Now, please get a clue, there is no one time.
  • Reply 144 of 149
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,347member
    foggyhill said:
    rbonner said:
    I ask again, if this is a one time thing, run the phone over to Apple and have them do it in house. No risk of this being released into the wild.
    We answered bud, it's not "kept in house" because it has to go through the legal system afterward, including the defense and external experts; secondly the DOJ asked THE EXACT SAME THING for 12 more phones so this same release into the wild of Apple info will occur 12 more time. Also, there is nothing to stop the DOJ and the FBI from asking this same thing thousands of times more (like the 13 they now have asked).

Now, please get a clue, there is no one time.
    foggyhill,

You're on a roll today; nicely done!

edit:

I wanted to add that Bill might have upped his creds by offering to host a public, private enclave to sort this out before a court ruling. If he is in fact the Big Man in Washington, that he pretends he is, this would have been a very statesman like action. I guess we would miss the FBI frickin with the legal system though.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 145 of 149
    Rayz2016 said:
    John Gruber speculated that the FBI request to break the phone was not incompetence; that they needed the phone locked so they could force Apple to write their spy software for them. 
    Hadn't thought of that.  Good point, although slightly paranoid.  But on the other hand, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you!
  • Reply 146 of 149
    john673 said:
    i find it insensitive for the victims of the families involved in the tragedy that apple are such jerks to capitalize on the situation to advocate for free speech..
    Just take the freakin' iPhone from FBI unlock it and give it back to them 
    john673 said:
    i find it insensitive for the victims of the families involved in the tragedy that apple are such jerks to capitalize on the situation to advocate for free speech..
    Just take the freakin' iPhone from FBI unlock it and give it back to them 
    _____________________________________________________________________________________ Don't we all wish it were that simple. Just take the freakin iPhone and unlock it. Think a little about it, if the team you trust to write a backdoor pass into that iPhone, is ALWAYS going to be with you and you'll never lose one of them, then sure get it done. But let's assume, and I believe its safe to assume, that someone in the tech industry lures one of the team members away for a bunch of compensation, don't you think there might be a chance he'll trade his knowledge for some of their cash? Ever heard the phrase "Think before you speak?" Then utilize that knowledge.
  • Reply 147 of 149
    Selective quoting and interpretation drastically distorts what he said in the version of the interview I listened to.

Yes, he said those exact quotes, but paraphrasing based on my recollection, he also emphasised that what the government is actually doing which is risky is using a law which opens a whole can of worms in terms of potential abuse and that there absolutely needs to be debate and understanding of the consequence of that, and that the right way to deal with this is to establish a suitable legal framework and not use a 200+ year old catch all law. And on that basis, he supports Apple in that. 
  • Reply 148 of 149
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,347member
    Selective quoting and interpretation drastically distorts what he said in the version of the interview I listened to.

Yes, he said those exact quotes, but paraphrasing based on my recollection, he also emphasised that what the government is actually doing which is risky is using a law which opens a whole can of worms in terms of potential abuse and that there absolutely needs to be debate and understanding of the consequence of that, and that the right way to deal with this is to establish a suitable legal framework and not use a 200+ year old catch all law. And on that basis, he supports Apple in that. 
    First of all, there was the Financial Times, and then the Bloomberg. You need to see them both.

Nobody knows where Bill stands because frankly he was unable to put together a cogent thought. It was kind of embarrassing that he wasn't even aware that there were already news reports out about other requests from the DOJ for the same, not to mention other Law Enforcement Agencies. Yet he was rambling on as if it was simply a single case, and what's the big deal?

I actually think that he was so off message that he turned the tide for Apple; but that's just my opinion. Your mileage varied.