Bill Gates sides with FBI on Apple encryption fight, says scope is limited to one iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 149
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,434member
    From the Wall Street Journal:

"The Justice Department is pursuing court orders to force Apple Inc. to help investigators extract data from iPhones in about a dozen undisclosed cases around the country, in disputes similar to the current battle over a terrorist’s locked phone, according to people familiar with the matter.

The other phones are at issue in cases where prosecutors have sought, as in the San Bernardino, Calif., terror case, to use an 18th-century law called the All Writs Act to compel the company to help them bypass the passcode security feature of phones that may hold evidence, these people said.

The specifics of the roughly dozen cases haven’t been disclosed publicly, but they don’t involve terrorism charges, these people said."

Well, that didn't take long.

Comey Lied. 
    edited February 2016 baconstangewtheckmanstarbird73badmonkchiaibillspinnydpalomine
  • Reply 22 of 149
    People seem to be missing a couple of points here--one, there is simply no way to limit it to "one phone." Once it exists, a judge can order Apple to do it again--and can do so in secret, so Apple has to do it without telling anyone.
    Second, this isn't limited to the U.S. Once this exists, China could order Apple to do it routinely, and Apple's only option would be to leave the huge Chinese market completely. Apple's only defense right now is that the software doesn't exist.

Exactly. Nose under the tent. It's more than a matter of principle and more than Apple. What happened is tragic. But presuming Apple does not have the ability to open the single phone, it's only choice is to NOT open the phone. If they do, every time the government feels it needs into a phone it will demand it, or use it all the time once it's given to them for future use. Then it's other companies being asked because the precedent is set. Then other countries. This is how we have lost every bit of security we've lost up to now. 
  • Reply 23 of 149
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    The judge demands a software masterkey be "delivered" to the FBI. With the pinkie swear it would only be used on that one health department work phone. And Gates buys that bullshit? Dumber than he looks. 
    baconstangRayz2016ewtheckmanbrakkenchiapscooter63dysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 149
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    koop said:
    Bill is allowed to respectfully disagree if he wants to. While this is red meat for a lot of Apple enthusiasts, keep in mind that this issue is not black and white and is really complex not just from a technical standpoint but from a moral standpoint as well.
    It's not complex at all. If Apple were to comply, if even possible, every country in the world would be demanding the same access, and eventually this would get out in the wild. This is not about just one phone, nor is it complex. Only someone who is clueless would think so, or someone who ran a company selling buggy easily hacked software like Windows historically was under Bill. Of course he thinks Apple is wrong, security wasn't that high of a priority when he was in charge, so why should it be for Apple...
    edited February 2016 baconstangewtheckmanbrakkenwilliamlondonbadmonkchiadysamoriaspinnydpalomine
  • Reply 25 of 149
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    AppleInsider said:

"This is a specific case where the government is asking for access to information. They are not asking for some general thing, they are asking for a particular case," Gates said. "It is no different than [the question of] should anybody ever have been able to tell the phone company to get information, should anybody be able to get at bank records. Let's say the bank had tied a ribbon round the disk drive and said 'don't make me cut this ribbon because you'll make me cut it many times'."
    Well know we know for sure, Billie just doesn't understand this subject.
    Of course he didn't understand what those ugly Windows viruses were doing to personal independent Windows users.  :p

baconstangbrakkenwilliamlondonbadmonk
  • Reply 26 of 149
    Thank you Bill!! This is ridiculous Apple is using a mass-murder terror attack as a publicity stunt to show off their IPhone security- rather than just quietly getting that info out like they should have done day one, no mention to the press needed. They are just using this as an opportunity to get press. It's disgusting and I will probably never touch another Apple product as a result. What they're doing makes me sick.
  • Reply 27 of 149
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    mattinoz said:
    staticx57 said:
    Slippery slope, Bill, slippery slope.
    It's not a slippery slope. Legal president is more like a jagged cliff.
    Nope, Apple's PRESIDENT won't fall off anything !!!     B)
    silversquonkewtheckman
  • Reply 28 of 149
    Bill's been a statist for quite some time, and he's nowhere near the 'nice guy' he's portrayed to be. 
    Right...so if Bill disagrees with Apple, he's obviously a "statist" and not "nice guy he's portrayed to be". Thoughtful comment. Got any more gems.
    don't be a hater just because it's true. the Feds are one of gate's biggest customers. his products have so many back doors they're effectively front doors. 
    baconstangtaniwhawilliamlondonbadmonkpscooter63dysamoriapalomine
  • Reply 29 of 149
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    If apple does it, it'll be a few days/ weeks until there's a simple one-click jail break like hack to open any phone... I imagine.
  • Reply 30 of 149
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,383member
    josha said:
    mattinoz said:
    It's not a slippery slope. Legal president is more like a jagged cliff.
    Nope, Apple's PRESIDENT won't fall off anything !!!     B)
    Please excuse me English is my first language.
    diplication
  • Reply 31 of 149

john673 said:
    I hope the US government gives them an ultimatum to pay their taxes that they've been evading for years or deport them all to Ireland
    ignorant nonsense. Apple is the largest tax payer in the US. what they won't do is willing give up a third of their income earned overseas on goods made overseas and sold overseas. nor would you if you worked overseas. 

get educated. 
    baconstangrealjustinlongmwhitewilliamlondonbadmonkchiapscooter63common sense 65spinnydhlee1169
  • Reply 32 of 149

Dead_Pool said:
    I love all things Apple, but they're out of their depth here. This is a massive overreaction akin to those who lie awake nights worrying that red light cameras are the first step to Big Brother taking over. What is needed is not an extreme, Snowden-like anti-government position, but a balancing test so both safety and privacy can be protected. That's how this will ultimately play out: Apple will lose this one and then legislation will strike the appropriate balance between safety and privacy. 
    if you believe Snowden is simply anti-government then it is you who is out of his element. 
    Anitomkarlwilliamlondonbadmonkdysamoriahlee1169
  • Reply 33 of 149
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,434member
    This has all the hallmarks of a DOJ operation that has been in the works for a long, long, time.
    edited February 2016 badmonkpalomine
  • Reply 34 of 149
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    john673 said:
    I hope the US government gives them an ultimatum to pay their taxes that they've been evading for years or deport them all to Ireland
    So tell me… are you anti-gay just because a homosexual happens to running Apple?
  • Reply 35 of 149
    Thank you Bill!! This is ridiculous Apple is using a mass-murder terror attack as a publicity stunt to show off their IPhone security- rather than just quietly getting that info out like they should have done day one, no mention to the press needed. They are just using this as an opportunity to get press. It's disgusting and I will probably never touch another Apple product as a result. What they're doing makes me sick.
    here, let me get you a vomit bag.
    williamlondonWiseGuypscooter63common sense 65
  • Reply 36 of 149
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Apple, take the phone, get the data off of it, and give the data to the FBI. Then do what you want with whatever method you used to crack that phone.
    jfc1138
  • Reply 37 of 149
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Someone who created the most unsecured OS known to man would say that.... Good thing he left the company because seemingly he doesn't know shit about tech anymore.

Anicommon sense 65hlee1169
  • Reply 38 of 149
    tmay said:
    From the Wall Street Journal:

"The Justice Department is pursuing court orders to force Apple Inc. to help investigators extract data from iPhones in about a dozen undisclosed cases around the country, in disputes similar to the current battle over a terrorist’s locked phone, according to people familiar with the matter.

The other phones are at issue in cases where prosecutors have sought, as in the San Bernardino, Calif., terror case, to use an 18th-century law called the All Writs Act to compel the company to help them bypass the passcode security feature of phones that may hold evidence, these people said.

The specifics of the roughly dozen cases haven’t been disclosed publicly, but they don’t involve terrorism charges, these people said."

Well, that didn't take long.

Comey Lied. 
    Indeed he did.

Anyone with a half a brain could see that this was never about 'one phone'. 

John Gruber speculated that the FBI request to break the phone was not incompetence; that they needed the phone locked so they could force Apple to write their spy software for them. 
    ewtheckmanwilliamlondoncommon sense 65hlee1169
  • Reply 39 of 149
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    The Wall Street Journal is reporting the Feds have about a dozen iPhones (so far) that they intend to force Apple to hack:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/justice-department-seeks-to-force-apple-to-extract-data-from-about-12-other-iphones-1456202213

williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 149
    rgaryb said:
    Look...don't Hv to give FBI anything. Just open the friggn phone FOR hem, don't have to give any 'software'
    The FBI has engineered a situation that now requires Apple write software which they can use to break into any iPhone. 
    baconstangwilliamlondondysamoriacornchip