Rumor: Apple's 4-inch iPhone event pushed back a week, to March 22

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple is widely expected to unveil both a new 4-inch iPhone and new 9.7-inch iPad at a media event next month, but a new report claims the keynote presentation may have been delayed by a week, until Tuesday, March 22.

Citing an unnamed source, South Korean website UnderKG reported this week that Apple employees have been asked to keep the days around March 22 free, presumably for an upcoming event. If true, that would be seven days later than was previously rumored.

The site in question doesn't have an extensive list of breaking Apple news, but in 2014 it did get its hands on both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus prior to their public release. The new rumor was first discovered by Macotakara.

Production of the next-gen 4-inch iPhone is said to be underway ahead of an anticipated March announcement. The device is said to boast a metal-backed, curved-edge design similar to the current iPhone 6s with refreshed internals like an A9 processor and NFC support for Apple Pay. Rumored names include "iPhone 6c" and "iPhone 5se."

This week, newly leaked schematics suggested the new iPhone model will feature an aesthetic nearly identical to the company's existing high-end iPhones, a design that debuted in 2014 with the iPhone 6.

Also expected at the March event is a revamped 9.7-inch iPad. While reports had previously referred to such a device as an "iPad Air 3," a new rumor published this week alleged that Apple might rebrand it with the iPad Pro moniker found on the 12.9-inch model.

Distinguishing the new 9.7-inch model as professional grade would be the same beefed-up A9X processor, the magnetic Smart Connector, and a four-speaker array.

Apple's anticipated event is also expected to see new bands debut for the wearable Apple Watch. The company also has new MacBooks in the works that could launch at such a media event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Perhaps the new products are being announced on March 15 still, and only becoming available on March 22?  And perhaps this relates to launch only in South Korea?
    radarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 21
    iSRSiSRS Posts: 49member
    I am thinking with all of this FBI stuff, they may have to appear in places. Best to give it an extra week.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    How can it be pushed back if it was never announced in the first place?!
    kent909melodyof1974fotoformatbdkennedy10021983clemynxyojimbo007netmage
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I have little doubt that Tim Cook's time and attention has been sucked away by all that's hit the fan in the past week or so.

Sigh, add this to the list of the myriad, death-by-a-thousand cuts ways in which the Washington bureaucrats, politicians, lawyers, and judges kill our competitiveness. 
    netmage
  • Reply 5 of 21
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I'd love to think it's being pushed back because the company is seeing string sales so far this quarter and therefore doesn't feel the need of any orders for these new products in the current quarter, but I think damonf has it correct.  If employees are being asked to be available (not on leave) on the 22nd, then this still speaks to a week earlier announcement, with in-store availability a week after the announcement, which is usual for Apple's smaller product releases.
    damonfyojimbo007
  • Reply 6 of 21
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I REALLY hope it looks nothing like the 6. I thought it was going to look like the 5? I was really hoping to a return to a classy form factor. I would much rather they went with plastic like the 5c, than the 6,
    1983harry wild
  • Reply 7 of 21
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Rumored date rumored to push back a week, allegedly. 

Damn, I hate these "reports". 
    suddenly newton
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I guess Apple is testing out the new code so that entering DFU mode wipes the phone   :)
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Rumored event rumored to be delayed. How do we know the original rumored date was the original plan?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    qwwera said:
    I REALLY hope it looks nothing like the 6. I thought it was going to look like the 5? I was really hoping to a return to a classy form factor. I would much rather they went with plastic like the 5c, than the 6,
    If the allegidlly released schematics are real it resembles the 5 much more than the 6. I don't know why they keep on saying on this site that it looks like the 6...it doesn't! Even 9to5Mac says it looks more like the 5.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 11 of 21
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Lining up to be some interesting products for me this Spring.

Fun stuff.
  • Reply 12 of 21

Rumored event rumored to be delayed. How do we know the original rumored date was the original plan?
    It's rumored to be so....
  • Reply 13 of 21

iSRS said:
    I am thinking with all of this FBI stuff, they may have to appear in places. Best to give it an extra week.
    Yes, IIRC there's a Congressional hearing or two that may get Apple people dragged to it and prepping for that sort of circus takes time.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    I'd love to think it's being pushed back because the company is seeing string sales so far this quarter and therefore doesn't feel the need of any orders for these new products in the current quarter, but I think damonf has it correct.  If employees are being asked to be available (not on leave) on the 22nd, then this still speaks to a week earlier announcement, with in-store availability a week after the announcement, which is usual for Apple's smaller product releases.

Thanks radarthekat.  2 other problems I had with this story:

1. Apple wouldn't need to delay a Keynote if a product had a delay, they'd just put that particular product out on pre-order. 

2. One of the sources (if he's not the sole source) of the March 15 keynote date still referred to that date in a new post on his site today.  I'll take his date coming from his sources over any South Korean website's.  :)

• Reply 15 of 21
    No new Watch? Just bands? I was hoping for watch version 2 !
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Want the 5 chassis, not the 6!  Will not buy if it looks like the 6/6S!
  • Reply 17 of 21
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    damonf said:

Thanks radarthekat.  2 other problems I had with this story:

1. Apple wouldn't need to delay a Keynote if a product had a delay, they'd just put that particular product out on pre-order. 

2. One of the sources (if he's not the sole source) of the March 15 keynote date still referred to that date in a new post on his site today.  I'll take his date coming from his sources over any South Korean website's.  :)

Daring Fireball has suggestions it might be be related to the appeal in the FBI backdoor case which is due to take place the 22nd.
    Gives Apple a stage to make any public statement they like while showing off some nice things and make sure they get some control of the story line.

• Reply 18 of 21
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    plovell said:
    I guess Apple is testing out the new code so that entering DFU mode wipes the phone   :)
    Then how to back date that codes to iOS 8 maybe even 7 depending on the size of the installed base.
    Ship that update prior to the appeal judgement so if they are forced to comply the solution they send to the FBI will be useless on any updated phone when it leaks.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The rumour that the 4-inch phone will have a 12MP camera is crazy.

Apple's not going to put the same camera in their $1K phone into a phone selling for half that price.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Will it be a budget phone or a state of art iPhone!