Court overturns Apple's $120M patent win against Samsung

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    cali said:
    I've seriously thought about this. Apple is the highest tax payer in the U.S. 
    This is amazing and everything but really, it's not unexpected being the largest company in USA. 
    techlover
  • Reply 42 of 67
    cali said:
    I think Apple has enough money to buy an island they can operate from or go foreign like Ireland or some really poor 3rd world country and boost their economy instead.
    Good luck convincing Apple engineers to move to said country or building the manufacturing capabilities to make the product. 

And of course, when Samsung do copy Apple's IP, what can Apple do then?
    edited February 2016 techlover
  • Reply 43 of 67
    cali said:
    America sides with the Korean counterfeit company once again!!

Please, Tim. Perform a corporate inversion, relocate to Ireland and compete in the US with all of the unreasonable advantages foreign competitors have. Apple is not welcome here anymore.
    I've seriously thought about this. Apple is the highest tax payer in the U.S. Is a homegrown American success story and provides hundreds of thousands of jobs in the U.S. yet they're the most hated company in America.

I think Apple has enough money to buy an island they can operate from or go foreign like Ireland or some really poor 3rd world country and boost their economy instead.
    The GDP of Ireland (as of 2013) was $232.1 billion. That's a nearly negligible cost for Apple. They could buy the entire country, exit the EU and attract other global companies with close to zero tax rates. Every large company on the planet would love this. Plus, they'd have instant access to an English-speaking, generally well educated population of nearly 5 million. I'd even move there if they followed the political model of the Free State Project (in the US).
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 44 of 67
    cali said:
    America sides with the Korean counterfeit company once again!!

I've seriously thought about this. Apple is the highest tax payer in the U.S. Is a homegrown American success story and provides hundreds of thousands of jobs in the U.S. yet they're the most hated company in America.

The GDP of Ireland (as of 2013) was $232.1 billion. That's a nearly negligible cost for Apple. They could buy the entire country, exit the EU and attract other global companies with close to zero tax rates. Every large company on the planet would love this. Plus, they'd have instant access to an English-speaking, generally well educated population of nearly 5 million. I'd even move there if they followed the political model of the Free State Project (in the US).
    Do you honestly believe that the GDP of a country is its entire value and can be purchased for that amount?
    cnocbuisingularitypalomine
  • Reply 45 of 67
    How did Apple ever get a patent for slide to unlock anyway?
    singularity
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Joash said:
    Justice! 
    Justice in this case, is an android phone.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Here's an idea for Apple:  Fund a spinoff company that designs and sells Andoid phones at cost, which would have the net effect of destroying the profitability of any and all Android manufacturer.
    According to Canacord on profits, China already has about 50 such companies going 24/7.
    colinngpalomine
  • Reply 48 of 67
    techlover said:
    Do you honestly believe that the GDP of a country is its entire value and can be purchased for that amount?
    You're right. Apple could probably negotiate a lower amount.
    brakkencolinng
  • Reply 49 of 67

How did Apple ever get a patent for slide to unlock anyway?
    How did Amazon get a patent for their "One Click"?
    brakkencolinngpalomine
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Why didn't they just file it in W. Texas in the first place? It would have been a lock from the start.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 51 of 67
    gatorguy said:
    rbonner said:
    What does this really mean, that the original patient was not granted properly? They never had it?
    It means the patent claims Apple used in this case should not have been granted to begin with by the USPTO.

I wouldn't necessarily fault the patent office entirely as there's a lot of pressure from patentee's to grant the applications, with modification after modification from applicants if the original wording doesn't pass muster. With hundreds of thousands of existing claims and patents to deal with it's to be expected that they miss some of them. Until the spotlight is shown on some particular granted patent used in a lawsuit the invalidity of some specific claim may not be obvious.
    The appellate court overturned the lower court's ruling. Your view suggests the higher court sees what the lower court could not? I'm skeptical of that view. 
  • Reply 52 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    rbonner said:
    What does this really mean, that the original patient was not granted properly? They never had it?
    It means the patent claims Apple used in this case should not have been granted to begin with by the USPTO.

I wouldn't necessarily fault the patent office entirely as there's a lot of pressure from patentee's to grant the applications, with modification after modification from applicants if the original wording doesn't pass muster. With hundreds of thousands of existing claims and patents to deal with it's to be expected that they miss some of them. Until the spotlight is shown on some particular granted patent used in a lawsuit the invalidity of some specific claim may not be obvious.
    The appellate court overturned the lower court's ruling. Your view suggests the higher court sees what the lower court could not? I'm skeptical of that view. 
    Why?
  • Reply 53 of 67
    palomine said:
    We are all beginning to wonder how far law enforcement can reach in this privacy debate. It's honestly starting to look like they may even have some reach on the stock exchanges also. How is it possible to do that? Apple needs to spend more lobbying congress like the rest of tech does and they need some voice over on the stock exchanges as well. That is not what a straightforward company like them wants to ever do, but it is necessary now. Look at Amazon and Google, they both have people at the top who are well connected with Wall Street. Seriously, it's astonishing how the price of this stock moves, or lately--hardly moves at all. It's like there is a big ol clamp on AAPL. To the others here, what's your paranoid theory on AAPL?
    Apple creates tech that empowers people, has a business that has annoyed many industries - not just individuals, and often both does the right thing AND tells the truth. Where does one start with the list of enemies, if not only people who feel threatened? Cars? Movies? Music? Formats? Games? Mobile phones? Operating systems? Computers? The list doesn't end. 

What I simply can't understand is this: Apple made a user experience that doesn't completely suck, so why is it so hard for ms or goog to follow suit? And even with free-range theft of Apple's intellectual property, ss is going down the tubes where they belong. 

No paranoia required - just logic and common sense.
    colinngpalomine
  • Reply 54 of 67
    zeus423 said:
    Why didn't they just file it in W. Texas in the first place? It would have been a lock from the start.
    That's what I can't figure out either. Are Apple's attorney's unaware of what happens there?
  • Reply 55 of 67
    techlover said:
    Considering there's about 2million dwellings and the average house price is about 190,000 euro, that makes the housing stock 380 billion euro alone. which is something north of 400billion USD.

That's just the houses.

I know it's a joke but i guess on forums you'd expect nothing less. The stakes are so low
    :smile: 
    colinng
  • Reply 56 of 67
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    What happened to "and boy, have we patented it"?
    The stupid patent system called it Prior Act because Apple filed it 1 day after...bullshit!
  • Reply 57 of 67
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Whoops, I guess Apple's now on the bad side of this pathetic, corrupt joke we call the U.S. Government.
    colinngpalomine
  • Reply 58 of 67
    zeus423 said:
    That's what I can't figure out either. Are Apple's attorney's unaware of what happens there?
    I can't believe I put an apostrophe in the word "attorneys."

• Reply 59 of 67
    fallenjt said:
    What happened to "and boy, have we patented it"?
    The stupid patent system called it Prior Act because Apple filed it 1 day after...bullshit!
    Fortunately, we now have "first to file" instead of such a heavy reliance on prior art.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    fallenjt said:
    Fortunately, we now have "first to file" instead of such a heavy reliance on prior art.
    The way I understand it, first to file merely resolves the question of who invented something first. A patent is prima facie valid and the first to file is the inventor. Prior art can still invalidate a patent. 
    singularitygatorguy