Court overturns Apple's $120M patent win against Samsung

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67

How did Apple ever get a patent for slide to unlock anyway?
    How did Amazon get a patent for their "One Click"?
    Good question.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,598member
    To add insult to injury the court also ruled that Apple not only has to pay Samsung damages for infringing an insignificant but apparently valid patent but also reimburse them for the legal costs Samsung incurred defending themselves from Apple.  The result is that Apple will probably end up being required to pay $tens of millions to Samsung before all is said and done. I never saw that coming. 
    edited February 2016 singularitypalomine
  • Reply 63 of 67
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    I think the article got it wrong, the picture should be:

Oh, so now your going to troll Appleinsider; good luck with that.

You are certainly the biggest troll on Asymco, and I think that I've seen you on Monday Note; maybe you're on MacRumors but I stopped going there because of fucking trolls.

Ai posters, beware of this guy.

You might want to buy a clue about how long the iPhone was in development before it was shown. Prada sucked ass, and wasn't even in the same league as the iPhone, so your insinuation of copying is just trolling.

Did anybody actually buy the Prada?

edited February 2016 palomine
  • Reply 64 of 67

gatorguy said:
    To add insult to injury the court also ruled that Apple not only has to pay Samsung damages for infringing an insignificant but apparently valid patent but also reimburse them for the legal costs Samsung incurred defending themselves from Apple.  The result is that Apple will probably end up being required to pay $tens of millions to Samsung before all is said and done. I never saw that coming. 
    I'm not too concerned about this one way or another. Apple jumped ahead of Samsung with the iPhone 6, and Samsung will never be able to come back. More to the point, Apple is releasing the SE which is going to carve out some of Samsung mid level strategy. every service that Samsung is going to add will be inferior to Apple's, so yeah Samsung, buy Tidal.

I'm actually more interested in Apple's $548 m that Samsung is trying to get the SC to rule on, but even then, it won't matter. The patent war was declared over between Samsung and Apple, and I know to my dying breath, that Samsung copied Apple.

edited February 2016 palomine
  • Reply 65 of 67
    tmay said:

gatorguy said:
    I'm not too concerned about this one way or another. Apple jumped ahead of Samsung with the iPhone 6, and Samsung will never be able to come back. More to the point, Apple is releasing the SE which is going to carve out some of Samsung mid level strategy. every service that Samsung is going to add will be inferior to Apple's, so yeah Samsung, buy Tidal.

I'm actually more interested in Apple's $548 m that Samsung is trying to get the SC to rule on, but even then, it won't matter. The patent war was declared over between Samsung and Apple, and I know to my dying breath, that Samsung copied Apple.

When you can't litigate, innovate!  And boy are you right about how Apple has stuck it to Samsung.  Apple's innovative decision to make a phone with a larger screen size as well as a phablet took the smartphone industry to places nobody ever dreamed of.  And to no one's surprise it looks like the Android OEMs are once again following Apple's lead and making phones in similar sizes.  Shameless.  Just shameless.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    croprcropr Posts: 1,140member
    tmay said:
    I think the article got it wrong, the picture should be:

Oh, so now your going to troll Appleinsider; good luck with that.

You are certainly the biggest troll on Asymco, and I think that I've seen you on Monday Note; maybe you're on MacRumors but I stopped going there because of fucking trolls.

Ai posters, beware of this guy.

You might want to buy a clue about how long the iPhone was in development before it was shown. Prada sucked ass, and wasn't even in the same league as the iPhone, so your insinuation of copying is just trolling.

Did anybody actually buy the Prada?

The success of a product is totally irrelevant for patent related matters.  I don't know anything about the Prada thing, but if it was on the market when Apple filed its iPhone patent, then there is prior art and the patent is invalid.  Which basically shows how difficult it is for the patent office to validate patents.

And by the way the artwork of AI is here totally misplaced.  The article is about the slide to unlock patent, not about the form factor. For the latter Samsung lost the case and has to pay damages.
    singularity
  • Reply 67 of 67
    tmay said:

When you can't litigate, innovate!  And boy are you right about how Apple has stuck it to Samsung.  Apple's innovative decision to make a phone with a larger screen size as well as a phablet took the smartphone industry to places nobody ever dreamed of.  And to no one's surprise it looks like the Android OEMs are once again following Apple's lead and making phones in similar sizes.  Shameless.  Just shameless.
    Your snark is noted; Apple certainly didn't innovate big screens, but when Apple did release the 6 and 6 plus, it removed the one market advantage that Android OS OEM's had over the iPhone. It caused Samsung's profits to crash.

But there's more; Apple is updating the iPhone 5s form factor to the SE, which is expected to be hardware equivalent to the 6s (less 3D Touch and screen resolution), That will result in an upgrade cycle for many of the holdouts from the iPhone's 4, 4s, 5 and 5s.