San Bernardino's top cop says it's likely 'there is nothing of any value' on iPhone the FBI wants A

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    The Crazy Train just keeps chugging along.
    Something that needs to be clearly stated is that the "User" and the "owner" of the phone are one and the same according to Apple Terms of Service ---  San Bernadino County.  They owned the phone and gave it to an employee (the shooter) who signed a statement agreeing to use it only for work.  The FBI is not even asking for access to the phone.  They only want Apple to force a backup because they already have access to the cloud backups.  Apple can do this by simply pushing a phone-specific update to the OS that forces an immediate and full backup.  No back door, no one's privacy rights endangered.  But Tim Cook sees this as a form of free advertising.  The fact is that Apple has a long history of illegal activities.
    If you read all the published and verified facts on this matter you would know you are so wrong. Also where is this long history of Apple's illegal activities?
    rob53
  • Reply 42 of 54
    mtbnut said:
    "...not making an effort would be unfair to the victims and their families." The loose definition of 'effort' is what's scary here. What type of effort needs to be mounted? Are there are any parameters to this 'effort,' or is the mere mention of the word 'terrorist' code for "by any means necessary"?
    Make an effort.  You know, anything some FBI hack requests, until 700,000,000 iPhones are compromised and Apple is out of business.  An "effort".
  • Reply 43 of 54
    What a bogus argument. There "could be" useful information about potential terror plans on there. Well, sure, there could be - in that the only requirement to say that something could be is that it is physically possible. The fact it's not impossible in no way indicates it's a likely occurrence which is worthy of further investigation. All signs we have indicate the user didn't believe there was anything incriminating on the phone, since he utterly destroyed the other phone and a laptop.

There could be details of potential terror plots written on the back of someone's medical records. Are see subpoenaing every medical record in the US to check?
  • Reply 44 of 54
    This is one of the central points getting little to no coverage. These two terrorists destroyed their personal phones. They destroyed the motherboard in their computer. For two people who went to such lengths to deny law enforcement information, why on Earth would they leave anything on a government-issed phone?? It's a prime example of how this phone is not important to the investigation but rather an emotional wedge issue the FBI is using to gain the back-door they've wanted for so long. We focus on this aspect of the case in our latest podcast: https://torusoft.com/blog/preemptive-multi-talking-E14
  • Reply 45 of 54
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    foggyhill said:
    You vote for the lesser evil (the democrats, but only just because they're less likely to go balls to the walls and make a show out of it); it's the pandering and fear mongering that makes the same opinions expressed by the GOP even more dangerous. They can stoke even greater evils.

The FBI is not controlled by OBama (seperate since Watergate), but the DOJ is. No candidate will really change something here, including Sanders, who can say whatever he feels like (pandering in other ways) it since he's got not chance in a general election. It will always turn the same way no matter who gets elected.
    I guarantee you it will not be Democrats taking the presidency this time around. You seem to underestimate the levels of simmering anger which have gripped the country under two incompetent administrations in a row (Bush, then Obama). Trump may in fact be a third, but I think the swing has gone away from the Left for the time being. The pendulum seems to swing Left in times of prosperity because people tend to forget where all of that "free money" suddenly came from.
    I agree with you that Trump has tapped into the "angry white guy niche", but the general election demographics favor the Democrats, and its unlikely that Trump will be able to gain much of the latino vote, which these days is a requirement to win the election.

More to the point, the U.S. is one of the few countries in the world that isn't now in recession, and it also looks like the Russians have done us a favor by stabilizing Syria, albeit that could fall apart. My state, Nevada is not yet reliably blue, we have a moderate Republican governor, and Trump will likely only win the "cow counties", but there aren't any votes there.

Trump's problem is that he will be subject to a hell of a lot more media scrutiny in the general election, and he will also have to walk back his exclusionary rhetoric that appeals to the "angry white guy". I give him creds

Good luck to Trump in attracting single women, the biggest untapped vote of all, women in general, Latino's, Black's, and frankly a huge portion of our society that isn't angry. I'm even thinking that some large numbers of "moderate" Republicans will vote Democratic this year.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    The work-issued iPhone used by one of the shooters in the San Bernardino terrorist attack likely has "nothing of any value" saved on it, the police chief of the town has admitted in a new interview, though he still believes Apple should help the FBI crack into the encrypted handset.

The makeshift memorial which appeared in San Bernardino following the shooting.

"I'll be honest with you, I think that there is a reasonably good chance that there is nothing of any value on the phone," San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said in an interview with NPR on Friday. "What we are hoping might be on the phone would be potential contacts that we would obviously want to talk to."

Burguan admitted he owns an iPhone and an iPad, and considers himself a "fan" of Apple products. But he also said law enforcement has an obligation to "leave no stone unturned" in their investigation of the attack, and not making an effort would be unfair to the victims and their families.

It's also possible, though he admitted it's unlikely, that the iPhone 5c in question could have details on a larger terrorist network or potential plots for future attacks.

"The probability is low, but it could be," Burguan said.

A U.S. magistrate judge has ordered Apple to comply with FBI requests to help extract data owned by one of the shooters involved in the December terrorist attack. Apple says it can't do that without creating a backdoor to its secure iOS platform --?something the company is unwilling to do.

Thanks to a lawsuit filed by the U.S. government publicizing the dispute, the battle between Apple and the FBI has spilled over to the court of public opinion. A war of words has broken out, led by Apple CEO Tim Cook and FBI director James Comey, in which each side is working to paint the other as unreasonable.
    How could he possibly know?  Ridiculous.
    The tiniest clue can break open a case and save lives. 
  • Reply 47 of 54
    foggyhill said:

Well, it's Obama's Justice Department/FBI, and Hillary's openly running for Obama's third term --- actually GW Bush's fifth term, when it comes to the privacy issue (the W standing for Warrantless Wiretapping) --- and, naturally, all of the republican candidates are on board with the continuing War on Privacy.

So does anyone know who I'm supposed to vote for in November if I'm AGAINST the ongoing War on Privacy?

You vote for the lesser evil (the democrats, but only just because they're less likely to go balls to the walls and make a show out of it); it's the pandering and fear mongering that makes the same opinions expressed by the GOP even more dangerous. They can stoke even greater evils.

The FBI is not controlled by OBama (seperate since Watergate), but the DOJ is. No candidate will really change something here, including Sanders, who can say whatever he feels like (pandering in other ways) it since he's got not chance in a general election. It will always turn the same way no matter who gets elected.
    Does anyone know who I should vote for if I want to stay alive?  You know--like not get killed at a Christmas party with coworkers or maybe a rock concert?  
  • Reply 48 of 54
    I knew it. Farook had a personal phone, which he destroyed prior to the attack and deleted his backups, likely to cover his tracks. I really would not expect anyone from using a work phone to plot a terrorist attack for fear of getting caugh or leaving behind important information. No way. This phone case is being used by the FBI as a pretext to ensnare Apple.
    badmonk
  • Reply 49 of 54
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    ejkr said:
    foggyhill said:

Does anyone know who I should vote for if I want to stay alive?  You know--like not get killed at a Christmas party with coworkers or maybe a rock concert?  
    Are you afraid of terrorists or afraid of premature death?

Your chance of getting killed by a terrorist in the U.S. is extremely low, and somewhat higher from gun violence, but your odds of dying from a medical condition are magnitudes higher. Look for the candidate that actually supports a great healthcare system; that would be Sanders, followed by closely by Clinton, and trailing badly, Trump, who really doesn't have a plan now, if ever..

All that said, you've been trolling here.
    edited February 2016 rob53fastasleepapres587
  • Reply 50 of 54
    jungmark said:
    Contacts? If he called anyone, that would show up on his cell phone records right? No need to hack the iPhone. 
    Not necessarily a 'phone call.' Could have used texting or 'calling' via iMessage over wifi to a Mac or another iPhone. Neither would show up on a cell log as it is via wifi.
  • Reply 51 of 54

The Crazy Train just keeps chugging along.
    Something that needs to be clearly stated is that the "User" and the "owner" of the phone are one and the same according to Apple Terms of Service ---  San Bernadino County.  They owned the phone and gave it to an employee (the shooter) who signed a statement agreeing to use it only for work.  The FBI is not even asking for access to the phone.  They only want Apple to force a backup because they already have access to the cloud backups.  Apple can do this by simply pushing a phone-specific update to the OS that forces an immediate and full backup.  No back door, no one's privacy rights endangered.  But Tim Cook sees this as a form of free advertising.  The fact is that Apple has a long history of illegal activities.
    Actually they can't.They can push the update, but the update process must be confirmed ON THE PHONE BY ENTERING THE PASSCODE! A passcode they do not know and which the FBI would like to brute force. To do the brute force a judge has ordered Apple to create a new, insecure iOS that would bypass the security measures preventing brute force attacks. To comply, if at all possible, Apple would have to spend an inordinate amount of man hours creating the 'hacked' OS (GovtOS), then have to destroy GovtOS, then recreate it again and again for every federal, state or local police jurisdiction that can con a judge into ordering it done again. The supreme court has already ruled that software, including iOS, is speech and that speech against one's will cannot be compelled by the gov't. Thus the judges order is unconstitutional.

Now, if the FBI and the great minds in the intelligence community actually cooperated, they could probably do the same thing they want Apple to do, but do it in less time than it will take to bring this case to the Supreme Court.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    tmay said:
    ejkr said:
    Are you afraid of terrorists or afraid of premature death?

Your chance of getting killed by a terrorist in the U.S. is extremely low, and somewhat higher from gun violence, but your odds of dying from a medical condition are magnitudes higher. Look for the candidate that actually supports a great healthcare system; that would be Sanders, followed by closely by Clinton, and trailing badly, Trump, who really doesn't have a plan now, if ever..

All that said, you've been trolling here.
    Given how stress plays a factor in most of the top causes of death I wouldn't be surprised if worrying about terrorist causes more deaths. It's certainly used a distraction by politicians from dealing with real issues. 
  • Reply 53 of 54
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    ejkr said:
    How could he possibly know?  Ridiculous.
    The tiniest clue can break open a case and save lives. 

The FBI has already gone through the mountains of data they collected on these 2 terrorist, their families, their friends, their co-workers and their contacts on their phones. Along with their families friends, friends of friends (and co-workers) and contacts of families, friends and co-wotkers contacts. Data from all the phone records, (including phones they no longer have from years back), current and past CC purchases, bank account activities, e-mail accounts, internet searches performed on their computers (and phones), social networks, travels, police records, tax records, past addresses, parking tickets etc., of these two terrorist, their families,their friends …….. etc….. etc. . And you know what the FBI concluded? The two terrorist acted alone and were not connected to any other terrorist or terrorist group. The FBI is not looking for any more people that may be directly linked to the attack or its' planning.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-shooters-planned-san-bernardino-massacre-alone-no-link-seen-to-terror-cell-fbi-says-20151204-story.html ;

So now, what makes you think that these two terrorist were planning another attack after this one? What makes you think that they would plan it on a government issued work phone and leave the phone (with data of the plans in it) where the FBI could find it? What makes you think that they planned another attack, in the 6 weeks after the last back up the FBI have on this phone, when the attack they just did took years of planning? And if they did make such plans and were acting alone, as the FBI concluded after analyzing mountains of data, who's going to be carrying out this plan, now that they are dead? 

This iPhone will not contain the tiniest clue that will saves lives. The FBI already knows this. So that's not why the FBI wants to break into this iPhone. The FBI wants Apple to create (and hand over to them) a back door that they can use to break into the tens of millions of iPhones out there. And the FBI needs uninformed people to believe that the tiniest clue in this iPhone will break open a case and save lives, in order to help them (FBI) do the dirty work of forcing Apple to create the back door (to iPhones), with public sentiment on how Apple must be supporting the terrorist because they are refusing to create this back door for the FBI. 

The matter would be different if the terrorist were still on the loose or there were evidence that the terrorist was in contact with other known terrorist or terrorist group and the last back up and phone records they have from this iPhone indicated he used this phone to contact them. 
    edited February 2016 fastasleep
  • Reply 54 of 54
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    and 6 others.
    Where the hell are these things coming from at the end of comments (including my own)?

Also why can't you see likes/dislikes on your own posts?

Agreeing with others, this forum software is garbage. :)