Apple's new 4-inch iPhone to enter mass production soon, estimated to ship 12M units in 2016

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Uh, soon? This thing is supposed to go on sale in less than a month. They'd better be heavy into production already at this point unless they're trying to launch the thing with massive stock shortages. 
    Uh, soon? Nothing has been announced. It’s all rumor and speculation.
    caliai46
  • Reply 22 of 32
    tokyojimu said:
    I think this is a mistake. No one wants a small phone (except maybe people who have never used a larger one). Even 12 million might be on the optimistic side.
    Having used an iPhone 6 I cannot wait to unload the brick in my pocket and go back to a much smaller phone.
    just cruisinyochanan
  • Reply 23 of 32
    This phone is targeted for Indian customers who wants an iPhone, but doesn't want to shell  for bigger iPhone 6s.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    lkrupp said:

I take the opposite view. I know a number of iPhone users who have not upgraded to the large 6 series phones because they think they are too large. This could be a runaway success that adds to the bottom line and repudiates the “peak iPhone” meme.
    I'm one of those people of which you speak. However, when I purchased my 5s it was the flagship handset. The problem from what I'm hearing is that the one I'm "holding out for" is going to be a bottom end phone. This is a move that Apple may regret if it is true. You see I don't want a bottom end phone I want a flagship, so unless the new 4' iPhone is the smaller version of the 7 or whatever they'll refer to it as I will not purchase it. 

Does apple really believe the holdouts for the smaller phone have bugget concerns ? 
    How will it be a bottom end phones? Seemingly the only thing missing will be 3D touch, considering that 3D touch takes a lot of space and battery space will be sorely needed in that smaller phone if they use the A9 in there, it will be pretty close to the 6s.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    entropys said:
    There is the speculation that the SE won't have force touch.  Or 3D Touch whatevs.
    i was planning on giving my 6S to my father and going back to a four inch screen. I use force touch enough that I won't do it. Lost sale.

There is also the problem of lack of consistency across hardware and software integration. If all new iphones  or iPads don't have force touch, why would developers go to the bother of adding those features, even within Apple itself  let alone third parties?
    by the end of 2016, 200M phones will have force touch, that's a pretty good market don't you think?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    lkrupp said:
    I would assume Apple is at least taking a look at the middle end market, especially if the other rumor about a 50% price reduction for the 5S is true.
    There is no chance 5s reduction of 50% in the US, such a reduction in developing market are plausible.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    tokyojimu said:
    I think this is a mistake. No one wants a small phone (except maybe people who have never used a larger one). Even 12 million might be on the optimistic side.
    That may be an incorrect assumption. Myself, and plenty of people I know, prefer a smaller phone. I've been holding off upgrading my 5s to see what happens in March.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    gustav said:
    tokyojimu said:
    That may be an incorrect assumption. Myself, and plenty of people I know, prefer a smaller phone. I've been holding off upgrading my 5s to see what happens in March.
    Ding Ding Ding winner !! 

Now I'm hoping Apple does the correct thing here and makes a high end 4 inch phone for guys like us. There's no excuse!  Make the 4 inch phone a little thicker and jam all the goodies in it. 
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 29 of 32
    gustav said:
    Ding Ding Ding winner !! 

Now I'm hoping Apple does the correct thing here and makes a high end 4 inch phone for guys like us. There's no excuse!  Make the 4 inch phone a little thicker and jam all the goodies in it. 
    Why not pile on? I have commented on this issue several times before and I still await a 4" iPhone with "current" specs (specifically, Apple Pay and Apple Watch capability) and as much memory as is made available. We will only know the demand for a 4" iPhone when Apple makes a new model available. Frankly, I don't care how big a hit it is. After all, I have been an Apple customer since the early 80's when it was not exactly the choice of the masses. I do hope there are enough customers so Apple continues to release updated 4" models.
    Sir_Turkey
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Wonder how this will affect Apple's financial figures if it is as successful as this. Presumably the ASP will be less than the iPhone 6 lineup. If so, Apple will have to sell probably 6 of these phones for every 5 of the iPhone 6 they currently sell if the margins are kept at around 40% as present.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    crosslad said:
    Wonder how this will affect Apple's financial figures if it is as successful as this. Presumably the ASP will be less than the iPhone 6 lineup. If so, Apple will have to sell probably 6 of these phones for every 5 of the iPhone 6 they currently sell if the margins are kept at around 40% as present.
    That is the reason I believe there have to be at least two 4" phones, if one really is going to be an entry level $400 phone. 

Apple surely has enough data to know how many customers would buy a new 4" premium phone, and aren't dumb enough to offer only a low budget model leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table from those who are willing to spend more.

However, keep this in mind, that the approximately 50% of activated iPhone users that are using 5s or older iPhones, haven't been upgrading, and likely won't be upgrading to new iPhones in any large majority over the next couple of years. And those who do, might move to Android if Apple doesn't offer what they want. So in all likelihood, whatever Apple does, it will boost their bottom line, since the premium models aren't likely to stop selling as they always have. Especially since Apple is still expanding their global reach.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 32 of 32
    This model is LONG overdue but I still can't buy it if they are going to handicap it with a maximum of 64 gb.