Apple breaks Mac Ethernet port with security update, issues fix

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    What a bunch of crybabies. Apple made a mistake. Boo-hoo. Apple fixed it. There, there. It's all right, sweetie. Take your Barbie doll out for a walk. The fresh air will do you good.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Even some experienced users may end up with difficulty if they have spaces in their drive name.

How did this one get through their QA department? Kernel extensions have been mostly banned by Apple for a good reason. Any changes or new ones need to be thoroughly tested.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 23 of 33
    The problem was worse than just lack of connectivity -- the App Store apparently uses some aspect of the Ethernet functionality to authorize purchased apps. After the kext got onto my system it locked me out of a number of applications I have installed on other computers.

And their internal communications with customer support must be pretty lousy, because I called Apple support and managed to get a 3rd-tier support person on the phone and they never mentioned this or gave any indication of being aware of it.

Who gives a rats' ass about software quality? Just admire your Apple Watch instead...
    john.b
  • Reply 24 of 33
    lkrupp said:
    Andy Ihnatko posed an excellent question on MacBreak Weekly some months ago. Ever since the death of co-founder Steve Jobs glitches like this bring the termites out of the woodpile to complain that quality has gone down. This is patently untrue of course but Ihnatko asks the question, “What would it take for you to abandon the platform?” The griping and complaining comes from all points whether it’s about hardware, software, new features, removed features, altered features, you name it. But what would make you abandon the platform?

Let’s here it from the complaining crowd, the “Steve is dead” crowd, the Apple is going down crowd, the ones who incessantly complain about anything Apple does or releases these days. And before the trolls chime in, we know who you are and we know you don’t own any Apple equipment or software.
    As someone who used to work for a Mac software developer, and has used Macs for over 20 years, I can tell you that in the last 2-3 years software quality HAS declined. The number of problems and miscues I have seen lately is far above what I used to see on Mac OS X -- the stability is starting to remind me of what I used to see with Mac OS 9.
    The reasons are manifold, but it comes down to one thing -- a lack of focus and priority on quality. Apple is a big behemoth of a company now and lack of focus is one of the less attractive results of that growth.

If they don't address these issues and the slide continues, I will in fact evaluate whether it makes sense to move to Linux. I like the convenience of the Apple "ecosystem", but not at the price of constant stability issues. After this kext issue broke access to some of my applications, I am abandoning using the App Store and the Apple ecosystem for critical applications like 1Password. I rely too much those applications to let them be impacted by Apple's lousy quality control.
    jackansijohn.b
  • Reply 25 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

If they don't address these issues and the slide continues, I will in fact evaluate whether it makes sense to move to Linux. I like the convenience of the Apple "ecosystem", but not at the price of constant stability issues. After this kext issue broke access to some of my applications, I am abandoning using the App Store and the Apple ecosystem for critical applications like 1Password. I rely too much those applications to let them be impacted by Apple's lousy quality control.
    I'm a fan of Ubuntu Linux and use it occasionally.  For the desktop, it's more a curiosity.  For the regular-Joe user, there is no way I would ever recommend anyone to use it.  Way too many reasons to take the time to list here.  For seriously advanced users and those that feel the need to break-away from the norm, have at it.  There are just too many compromises compared the the OSX/Windows crowd.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    bulldogs said:
    "This is crap that Microsoft or Android would do, ." I would be curious: how many Android devices - from such reputable manufacturers as LG and HTC that is - have you actually owned? ...
    Zero.  Zip.  None.  Good call.  Oh wait... I have to support those devices, and many others in the enterprise environment for way too many years.  Perhaps that's the reason why I would never have an Android device for my own personal because I know how much of a pain they are to troubleshoot from one device to another?? 

I'm an equal opportunists though when it comes to device recommendations.  When someone asks me my opinion, I always say the same thing that hasn't changed to this day.  "You want endless configurations and the headaches that go with them, buy Android.  You want to simplify your mobile life, buy Apple."

I'd say about 75% of those people that decided on the Android route, ended up buying an iOS device after their contract expired, or their crap phone broke down one too many times.

I'm upset that Apple is displaying signs of going down the same software quality route (like the ethernet breaking) that Microsoft AND Android currently have always had.  Apple had always been on the high ground of quality in both software and hardware so yes, I should be upset because we all hold them to a higher standard.  However, even with this problem (which did not affect me), unless Apple drops the ball completely, there is still no way I would ever be walking around with an Android phone as my personal device.  My life does not need to be that complicated.  Period.

Go spin your Android-fanboy stories elsewhere.
    cornchipjohn.b
  • Reply 27 of 33
    i use autodesk smoke which requires that i stay at os 10.11.1. will this solution update me to the current OS or will is just fix this internet issue. i can't go above 10.11.1
  • Reply 28 of 33
    bdkennedy said:

"Alternatively, Mac owners who don't have critical data saved on their hard drive can solve the problem by reinstalling OS X via Recovery Mode."

For the record, you don't need to reformat the drive to reinstall OS X. Your files should be fine after an OX reinstall. (But you should have current backup too.)
    cornchipjohn.b
  • Reply 29 of 33

Which versions of OS X does this problem affect? I had automatic "Install of system data files and security updates" enabled (on an iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) running Yosemite 10.10.5 and have experienced no problems. I checked my "Incompatible Kernel Extension Configuration Data" version and it currently is v. 2.13. Why is this version so old if I had auto updating enabled? Is this issue specific to just certain Macs or El Capitan?

edited February 2016
  • Reply 30 of 33
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    jbdragon said:
     I think maybe there should be a compromise. Say release the updates for Manual Updates for people, and then make it a Auto update 2 weeks later. That way if there's any issues from those that install a new update, it won't be sent and forced install for everyone. Everyone still gets all the updates, but you have a buffer to work with in case of any issues.
    That's exactly how corporate IT departments patch Windows desktops and servers every Patch Tuesday: Patch the non-production/non-mission critical systems when the patches are released, and evaluate the impact before updating the production/mission critical systems -- days or even weeks later when they can be certain the patches won't have a catestrophic impact.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 31 of 33
    So what do you do when 3.28.2 still doesn't solve the problem?????
  • Reply 32 of 33
    BrandiBrandi Posts: 1member
    When I type in sudo softwareupdate —background to the terminal and restart, I'm still not showing the update. Any idea why?
  • Reply 33 of 33
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Brandi said:
    When I type in sudo softwareupdate —background to the terminal and restart, I'm still not showing the update. Any idea why?
    Are you sure you're dealing with an issue caused by the security update from five months ago?