Apple should work with carmakers instead of building vehicle on its own, Fiat Chrysler CEO says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Apple could contract Tesla to build a rolling chassis for their car much like they have used off the shelf internals for their devices until such time as they decide to do it themselves. Tesla already sells chassis to Mercedes, Toyota and Freightliner.
    cornchip
  • Reply 22 of 59
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Mmm ...

"Carmakers already have the capacity to deal with Apple's needs, and turning to them would make more sense in such a "complex business," Sergio Marchionne told journalists...

My daughter's late 2015 Jeep Cherokee doesn't support carPlay -- how agile is Fiat Chrysler Jeep ...  

Not so much!
    iSRScornchip
  • Reply 23 of 59
    The biggest challenge by far is for Jony Ive's team to make it thin enough to fit in those 500 glass walled car showrooms worldwide.
    cornchip
  • Reply 24 of 59
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    This guy's sarcasm is quite telling. I honestly think he feels threatened by the prospect of an Apple car.

The various quips which have passed between Apple and Tesla could be red herrings, attempts to keep confidential some sort of collaboration or acquisition.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    tmay said:
    I've never advocated for Apple to do a big buy, but if they did, I'd pick BMW as the first; just a great product line.
    The BMW family would never sell it so let it go. It's not happening.
    Mr. and Mrs. Bavarian Motor Works? It's a publicly held company, FYI. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 26 of 59
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    "... and give the money back to the shareholders ..."
    Actually, Apple is following the advise of Micheal Dell, but it isn't enough to make even a dent in the money pile.
    Actually doing something with it, making a car, plane or whatever is of course a huge plus and it makes the conventional industry more competitive as an additional benefit.
    So hurray to the A-car!
  • Reply 27 of 59
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    williamh said:
    Mr. and Mrs. Bavarian Motor Works? It's a publicly held company, FYI. 
    Except the Quandts own 47% of the company. Good luck getting the other 53% of free float shareholders to override their vote. Besides I doubt Apple would want to buy them. Too messy with all the different brands and models.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 28 of 59
    Car makers are scared of Apple and they should be.
    cornchip
  • Reply 29 of 59
    Isn't this like saying Uber should work with the Taxi companies instead of trying to do it on their own?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 59
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Translation: We’ve seen what Apple has done to disrupt other markets and we are scared shitless they will do the same to the automobile market. Therefore we would like Apple to consult with us before they do anything so we can at least maybe save our assess from annihilation.

Sincerely,

The auto industry.
    cornchippalomine
  • Reply 31 of 59
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Like the guy but simply put, ``FU.''

Starting making quality All-Electric cars, en-masse already, you gas guzzingly piles of crap.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rob53 said:
    What new ideas have come out of the major car makers since Henry Ford's days? Not much. The only differences are cosmetic and a few engine upgrades. Nothing major. Tesla made a huge leap with better batteries and a power system that puts ICE vehicles to shame. Give Apple a chance to use its engineering and design abilities to see what they can do before blowing them off. 
    You're kidding, right? 
    sdrls
  • Reply 33 of 59
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    ceek74 said:
    Maybe Fiat Chrysler should file a motion to compel Apple to work with them.
    Fiat Chrysler could use some car design help, but I'm not sure they would listen to Apple.
    We've used Chrysler products for many years, since 1981, but in the last several years their cars have become much less desirable.

Now we couldn't buy the recent 200 car, because of a few unsafe features.
    The shifter and parking brake are electrically controlled, totally unacceptable for us.  Both unsafe and a functional disadvantage.
    Also the 200 doesn't have the ability to store a full sized tire, that's no good for our long distance travel.
    At this time our next new car won't be a Chrysler. That could be up to 2 yrs off, so hopefully they improve their designs very quickly.

I sure hope Apple doesn't attempt to build a car by themselves, especially an electric only car.
    OK to assist others building a car, a hybrid model could be wise.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    iSRSiSRS Posts: 49member

Mmm ...

"Carmakers already have the capacity to deal with Apple's needs, and turning to them would make more sense in such a "complex business," Sergio Marchionne told journalists...

My daughter's late 2015 Jeep Cherokee doesn't support carPlay -- how agile is Fiat Chrysler Jeep ...  

Not so much!
    That is what I came here to say. I mean, really? Wait for the Car Manufacturers, or work with them? Because CarPlay (about to be, what, three?) is everywhere...

Yeah, that is what Apple should do.

This guy should be at least honest.

"We need the likes of Apple to not just innovate, but revolutionize the car industry. We won't do it ourselves"
    cornchip
  • Reply 35 of 59
    rob53 said:
    What new ideas have come out of the major car makers since Henry Ford's days? Not much. The only differences are cosmetic and a few engine upgrades. Nothing major. Tesla made a huge leap with better batteries and a power system that puts ICE vehicles to shame. Give Apple a chance to use its engineering and design abilities to see what they can do before blowing them off. 
    Yes Tesla has greatly improved electric cars, but they have yet to make money by themselves, without other help.
    Up to now Tesla cars have been rich people's toys, not practical for urban driving where they fit best.
    Electric high speed sports cars are not needed for  urban use.
    Also local service is needed.
    I've been watching Tesla and hoping they produce an urban car we could use. 
    Since we do some long distance driving, we'll have our second car gas for that use.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    mike1 said:
    Fiat-Chrysler should be among the last on the list for Apple (along with GM).
    Possibly, but that doesn't mean the guy's not trying.
    Yes likely, but I doubt Apple would be that stupid.
    Imagine that, having to use crappy Windows because Apple crumbled trying to reinvent Chrysler.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Apple doesn't build anything - Apple engineers great products and contracts third party companies for assembly.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    I'm still not convinced that isn't ultimately what will be rolled out, at least at first.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    tmay said:
    I've never advocated for Apple to do a big buy, but if they did, I'd pick BMW as the first; just a great product line.
    Seriously what kind of motivation does BMW have to sell to, let alone partner with Apple? Completely nuts.

on a related note, maybe Apple doesn't want to partner with automakers because the automakers want all Apples customers data (hint, don't pair your phone with a car -especially a rental- unless you want to kiss all your data bye-bye).
  • Reply 40 of 59
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

So they can be part of someone's else's messed up experience... That's not Apple buddy.

Apple is not up to be car maker's bitch... Losing most differentiation and by extension profit in the process.

Sorry if getting your ass kicked in the future makes this uncomfortable.

edited March 2016