Apple shows off Campus 2's 'theatre' in new photo set

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2016
Apple on Monday gave the world a closer look at one under-the-radar aspect of its massive new corporate campus -- the 1,000 seat event space that the company is calling its "theatre."

The above-ground portion of the space is nearly complete, recently capped off by a carbon fiber roof. Architectural renderings seemed to indicate that the roof would be made of Apple's signature aluminum or steel, but the company has instead chosen to go with the lighter-weight composite option.

Apple believes the theatre's roof -- designed and manufactured in Dubai -- is the largest such composite roof ever, according to Mashable. It tips the scales at 80 tons and measures just over 140 feet in diameter.

For comparison, a Boeing 787's maximum take-off weight is just shy of 30 tons and its wings stretch 197 feet from tip to tip.

To assemble the glass exterior of the theatre and main campus building, Apple's construction partners designed special "manipulators" used to handle the giant sheets of curved glass. Apple has contracted the same firms responsible for the Fifth Avenue cube to handle Campus 2's glass elements.

After kicking off in 2011, Apple expects to move into its new campus early next year.

AppleInsider took an exclusive aerial look at the new Campus 2 earlier this month. Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook also noted to shareholders that project's 1000 seat theater might open in time to host next year's annual meeting, if everything goes according to plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Saucer confirmed.
    jbdragonslprescott
  • Reply 2 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I can't wait to see this finished...I'd be really cool to see them do a video tour of the building when its finished....kinda like how Steve did a video tour of the very first Apple Retail Store before it opened in Tyson's Corner, VA. I also wonder what the very first Apple Event will be in the new theatre?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    It reminds me in some ways of Steve's yacht. Something about the curve of the roof, the eaves, and the overall proportions. 
    edited March 2016 elijahgcornchip
  • Reply 4 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Maximum takeoff weight for the current 787-8, is about 252 tons. I really don't know where the 30 ton number comes from, because the airliner is listed as "heavy", in both the FAA listings, and the international listings, which is used for runway length and strength. The slightly longer 787-9 weighs about 25 tons more in maximum takeoff weight.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airliners_by_maximum_takeoff_weight
    edited March 2016 kschererjony0pscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 17
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    melgross said:
    Maximum takeoff weight for the current 787-8, is about 252 tons. I really don't know where the 30 ton number comes from, because the airliner is listed as "heavy", in both the FAA listings, and the international listings, which is used for runway length and strength. The slightly longer 787-9 weighs about 25 tons more in maximum takeoff weight.

I assume the author means the maximum permissible carrying weight.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Brilliant design. Never know when you might need to detach it.

SpamSandwichpropodnolamacguyjbdragonmagman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It reminds me in some ways of Steve's yacht. Something about the curve of the roof, the eaves, and the overall proportions. 
    I love the new campus design. Never like that Phillipe Starck yacht. 
    Soli
  • Reply 8 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Interestingly enough, the FBI demands a backdoor be built at the theatre. It promises to use it only on the first event. 
    kevin keenolamacguyjbishop1039magman1979Soli
  • Reply 9 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "Make it so!"
    magman1979
  • Reply 10 of 17
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    Good point. but Philippe Starck could disagree with you. OK somebody before me notice the fact, sorry to repeat the argument.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 11 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Apple on Monday gave the world a closer look at one under-the-radar aspect of its massive new corporate campus -- the 1,000 seat event space that the company is calling its "theatre."
    I figured they'd want to build one for all their events but that wouldn't be big enough, the places they use now have 7,000 capacity. This will probably be for surprise events to avoid tipping anyone off as to when they'll happen. WWDC etc will likely still be hosted externally but product launches can be livestreamed from there with press and staff attending.

This building can be finished before the main one so they could use it to launch the iPhone 7 around September.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I like the pic that looks like guy in middle is grabbing edge to maneuver the roof into place. Heave!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Apple believes the theatre's roof -- designed and manufactured in Dubai -- is the largest such composite roof ever, according to Mashable. It tips the scales at 80 tons and measures just over 140 feet in diameter.
    80 tons? Carbon fiber?
    Never!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    In all seriousness this roof looks like it could develop significant lift in a wind storm.   I do hope it get anchored well.  
    Soli
  • Reply 15 of 17
    elijahg said:
    melgross said:

I assume the author means the maximum permissible carrying weight.
    That would be wrong too. If you look at the link I provided, you would see that the maximum landing weight, which Is minus most of the fuel consumed, would be 170+ tons, metric. So the maximum amount of fuel would be around 75 tons, English. This states nothing about what the weight of the plane would be without passengers and luggage. In addition, the various airlines choose different interior packages, which allow differing amounts of passengers and carry-on luggage. Then there is the stored luggage, and the fact that many flights also carry some small high value cargo, and even some mail, still.

nevertheless, his statement was made to have us think that 3o to\no was the weight of the plane, and it's far from that. A little research would have shown him that. It took me a whole minute to find the correct information.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    smalm said:
    Apple believes the theatre's roof -- designed and manufactured in Dubai -- is the largest such composite roof ever, according to Mashable. It tips the scales at 80 tons and measures just over 140 feet in diameter.
    80 tons? Carbon fiber?
    Never!
    Carbon fiber is light. But it needs to be used with epoxy or polyester. It's a composite material. And that much fill will weigh an awful lot.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    smalm said:
    80 tons? Carbon fiber?
    Never!
    That comes to about 10 pounds per square foot, which is light for structural roof system. FYI, 1 inch of concrete is 12 pounds per square foot.