New 4-inch iPhone expected to add $5.5 billion in sales for Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

There was an article/thread to feed your fandom posted only a few hours ago.  And yet you have not posted there.

Hmm.
    Why would I? "Fandom"? Dissent doesn't equal fanboy-ism. I don't even like Samsung. All I want is for Apple to pick up the pace. I’ve been a long time Apple user and definitely want to stay that way, but it’s bloody difficult when they keep dropping the ball on updating their products. From iPhones to Macs, the update cycles feel glacial and industrial/product design feels like an afterthought. 
    nonsense. Apple's industrial design is what's leading both the PC and mobile industries -- take a look at the products and all you see are ripoff designs from their competitors. 

apple hasn't dropped the ball on their updates. as usual, iterative and evolutionary improvements is the name of the game. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 42 of 54
    Sad how this is what Apple has become... a cash machine.

What happened to liberal arts meets technology and changing the world?
    what on earth are you talking about? apples products continue to change the world, there are no better PCs or mobile devices I'd rather work with.  and Apple is literally fighting to prevent the world governments from taking over our privacy. how isn't that changing the world?

get real. 
    pscooter63patchythepirate
  • Reply 43 of 54

It died with Jobs. 
    welcome, concern troll! please find your FUD packets under your seat. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Please. Games? No, what I do want is to run FCPX, After Effects and Nuke without being presented with more beach balls than a sunscreen commercial. You're spending top dollar to get mid-tier results and chassis' stuck in time in 2012. Intel had released the 5th generation processors when Apple refreshed the MacBook Pro last year, which would have allowed eg. 32 GB RAM. Instead, we got a new touchpad. Whoopty do. I’d also love to marry a new MacBook Pro with a 4K (or 5K) monitor. But Apple monitors haven’t seen a refresh in over 5 years. My 2011 iMac (which coincidentally was awesome for the occasional game on Bootcamp) needs a replacement , but I just can't get myself to spend 5K on a 5K iMac just to future-prove a glorious display with a laptop in its hump. Shall we talk about the Mac Pro? Or the Mac mini?
    This is the danger of relying on a single vendor to provide everything: the software platform and the hardware.  

Basically... if Apple doesn't make it... you can't have it.  That's a horrible way to live (or to run a business on)

Hopefully Apple will have some good news for you soon.
    yeah, if by "horrible way to live" you mean "this stuff works and I don't have to worry about nonsense with drivers and registries". 
  • Reply 45 of 54
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    This is the danger of relying on a single vendor to provide everything: the software platform and the hardware.  

Basically... if Apple doesn't make it... you can't have it.  That's a horrible way to live (or to run a business on)

Hopefully Apple will have some good news for you soon.

yeah, if by "horrible way to live" you mean "this stuff works and I don't have to worry about nonsense with drivers and registries". 
    "This stuff works" only applies until it doesn't. 

If you're a Mac user... you can only buy hardware from Apple.  And based on the comment I replied to earlier... Apple doesn't always provide the hardware that the user is looking for.  

Unhappy with Mac hardware choices?  Tough.  You must buy what Apple offers because there is no alternative.  Laptop components in the iMac that is supposed to be a desktop?  A Mac Pro that hasn't been updated in a couple years?  A Mac Mini that is so neutered that you wonder why it even exists?

Those were just some of the complaints in the comment I replied to.  

Mac users are limited to a single vendor.  And you must take what they give you... or else complain on a forum.

And really... drivers and registries?  That sounds like an argument from a decade ago :)
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 46 of 54
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    It is my understanding that the reason iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have the rounded edges, is to be perceived as smaller than they are when you hold them. However, this made them both slippery as heck, and put the glass surface out in front (and prone to crack when dropped). Do you think the 4" will be a slab phone or will also get the rounded edge treatment. I don't like the rounded edges, wish they went back to slab design (as good as rounded edges look).
  • Reply 47 of 54
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

It died with Jobs. 
    Crapping out cliches though lives on though hmmm... Come on, do another one, tell us more about this Jobs fella you know so well.
  • Reply 48 of 54

If you're a Mac user... you can only buy hardware from Apple.  And based on the comment I replied to earlier... Apple doesn't always provide the hardware that the user is looking for.  

Unhappy with Mac hardware choices?  Tough.  You must buy what Apple offers because there is no alternative.  Laptop components in the iMac that is supposed to be a desktop?  A Mac Pro that hasn't been updated in a couple years?  A Mac Mini that is so neutered that you wonder why it even exists?

Mac users are limited to a single vendor.  And you must take what they give you... or else complain on a forum.

And really... drivers and registries?  That sounds like an argument from a decade ago
    Oh, my I wish drivers and registries were a comment from a decade ago, and you;'re talking to someone who has used MS's crap since day one in the 1980s... And I'm still using it now... Windows 10 is a nightmare of upgrade Snafus, half of them being driver related, WIFI issues are innumerable. Had to hack the god damn registries to prevent the OS from resetting my defaults on half the upgrades!!! And yes, there are no other options, i've looked hard into that.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 49 of 54
    foggyhill said:

And really... drivers and registries?  That sounds like an argument from a decade ago
    Oh, my I wish drivers and registries were a comment from a decade ago, and you;'re talking to someone who has used MS's crap since day one in the 1980s... And I'm still using it now... Windows 10 is a nightmare of upgrade Snafus, half of them being driver related, WIFI issues are innumerable. Had to hack the god damn registries to prevent the OS from resetting my defaults on half the upgrades!!! And yes, there are no other options, i've looked hard into that.
    Hmmmm... I guess I'm the one person who hasn't been bitten by Microsoft snafus :)

Windows 10 on a custom-built desktop... and Windows 10 on a Toshiba laptop from 2014.  No problems with drivers, updates, WIFI, etc... and I only have to "hack" the registry if I want to.

What driver-issues are you experiencing now?  Most everything is built-onto the motherboard.  Hell... I've got an ancient HP printer that works over the network with Windows 10.  Windows 7 and beyond seems to be compatible with most hardware.

I honestly can't remember the last time I had to go hunt for a driver. :)
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 50 of 54
    foggyhill said:

oops... double post... must have been Windows ;)
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 51 of 54
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    designr said:

But the point I'm making is that the 5c is a re-cased 5 which is a mere one generation older that the 5S and was all the range a mere year before.

To be fair it did have better cellular radios, and other tweaks, so it wasn't exactly the same.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    foggyhill said:
    Hmmmm... I guess I'm the one person who hasn't been bitten by Microsoft snafus

Windows 10 on a custom-built desktop... and Windows 10 on a Toshiba laptop from 2014.  No problems with drivers, updates, WIFI, etc... and I only have to "hack" the registry if I want to.

What driver-issues are you experiencing now?  Most everything is built-onto the motherboard.  Hell... I've got an ancient HP printer that works over the network with Windows 10.  Windows 7 and beyond seems to be compatible with most hardware.

I honestly can't remember the last time I had to go hunt for a driver.
    I'm an systems/computer engineer since the 1980s (that's a hell of long time in this industry), and believe me I know myself around a computer, I can actually design most of it, and done so at various career stages....

These are acknowledged MS issues, not in my mind, they eventually fix their fuckups (2.5 months of WIFI problems before they got fixed after the november update), but the resetting the defaults still occurs and seems to be related to some OS integrity checking gone beserk. But, like I said, changed the registry and it is no longer an issue.

2-3 weeks ago, an update made it so I couldn't write or change anything on half my drive, including some system areas even as an admin!!
    This has occured sporadically on certain directories and files, but here it was more widespread.
    After a lot of googling and some yelling at the MS tech (online), a few tinkering and reboots, got things to work.
    If this had occured on some crucial system files, it didn't, a OS reinstall may have been the only solution.

QA at MS is horrible; that's all I'll say about it.
    Their updates are notorious garbage and you can only really avoid the bad ones by setting yourself as on a metered connection and handling updates manually.
    The clowns they have at tech supports are infuriating; they all deserve a swift kick. They always treat like you are a total idiot even if you've been using windows longer than they've been alive and that you tried all the obvious platitude they utter to your issue (they do to everyone so I don't feel singled out...).

You may be lucky that your computer is one of the best supported on the planet; or maybe just lucky... I kept my parent on Windows 8.1 because of my issues with Windows 10.

Most of the machines I have at home re BSD and Linux Unix servers/workstations.

edited March 2016
  • Reply 53 of 54
    foggyhill said:
    Hmmmm... I guess I'm the one person who hasn't been bitten by Microsoft snafus :)

I honestly can't remember the last time I had to go hunt for a driver. :)
    I'm an systems/computer engineer since the 1980s (that's a hell of long time in this industry), and believe me I know myself around a computer, I can actually design most of it, and done so at various career stages....

These are acknowledged MS issues, not in my mind, they eventually fix their fuckups (2.5 months of WIFI problems before they got fixed after the november update), but the resetting the defaults still occurs and seems to be related to some OS integrity checking gone beserk. But, like I said, changed the registry and it is no longer an issue.

2-3 weeks ago, an update made it so I couldn't write or change anything on half my drive, including some system areas even as an admin!!
    This has occured sporadically on certain directories and files, but here it was more widespread.
    After a lot of googling and some yelling at the MS tech (online), a few tinkering and reboots, got things to work.
    If this had occured on some crucial system files, it didn't, a OS reinstall may have been the only solution.

QA at MS is horrible; that's all I'll say about it.
    Their updates are notorious garbage and you can only really avoid the bad ones by setting yourself as on a metered connection and handling updates manually.
    You act as though Apple Support Forums aren't full of complaints ;)